The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Do legs too. So you dont look like an idiot always wearing pants to hide your Wednesday legs lol...besides squats and deadlifts will create a solid platform to develop from.

i love working legs, hit 500 lbs on the deadlift a few months ago. Felt high on life the next few days.

i love working legs, hit 500 lbs on the deadlift a few months ago. Felt high on life the next few days.

I havnt got up to those lvels before...thats great stuff..but feeling strong through the legs and lower back is great...I found really helps out in other lifts especially overhead lifts...and just generally I find I have more day to day energy...as you get older it certainly helps with everyday tasks you may face in outdoor rec...

I really enjoyed moving away from standard exercises though as I described earlier. New challenges keep things fresh. I definitely recommend trying exercises that involve dumbells and bosu/half bosu balls....even pully exercises. ..prob my fav is one arm standing rows: on one leg with other leg straight back out behind and non active arm straight out in front. Youre more or less horizontal on one leg at start. Reaching all the way to the stack then as you pull towards your body bring the suspended leg up into a tuck in front of you...start light to get the balance..but youll be stoked on your balance and core improvements.

Edited by riffraff

The key to a good workout is finding a nutrition/fitness routine that fits your schedule and lifestyle. I have used many routines and fads since I was paid by my previous job (military) to work out every day.

The biggest lesson I learned is that it is 70% diet and 30% activity and don't underestimate the power of "off days" or rest days to your overall goals. You CAN workout too much...

My current routine (designed to be lean but muscular) is:

M - 30 minute light jog

Tues - Weights and Boxing - 1 hour

Wed - 30 minute jog

Thurs - Weights and Boxing - 1 hour

Fri - 30 minute jog

Sat - 7 - 10k run

Sun - Day Off

When I want to gain muscle mass, I add an extra day of weights to the above..

P.S. After being in many gyms, DVD's etc... you can do everything you need with a set of dumbells, one barbell and a larger sized exercise ball.

So you want more muscle? How's your eating look? And how about some more details on the lifting?

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. If you haven't seen this check this guy out.

He delivers "bro science". :lol:

Love his vids. Bumping as well let's get this thread going again.

As for the workouts, I'm starting a variation of Stronglifts 5x5. I played sports throughout school and have kept in decent shape now that I'm in college, but now I'm looking to actually add some mass to my DYEL frame.

The workouts are simple enough to grasp. It's the eating that's a pain.

Edited by Bitter Melon

Love his vids. Bumping as well let's get this thread going again.

As for the workouts, I'm starting a variation of Stronglifts 5x5. I played sports throughout school and have kept in decent shape now that I'm in college, but now I'm looking to actually add some mass to my DYEL frame.

The workouts are simple enough to grasp. It's the eating that's a pain.

They say it's 80% nutrition and 20% working out. Though it is harder at this time of the year with the weather, short days, and wanting to spend time with family and friends and eating meals that taste good first and foremost.

Hoping to make 2015 the healthiest year yet.

Edited by Chip Kelly

... let's get this thread going again ...

Sooo, I couldn't fit a pullup bar over any of my door frames

Now behold my most wondrous redneck-esque creation:

9u9k4l.jpg

Works great. Sturdy as hell. Looks like trash.

And recently when it snowed I totally pretended to be Rocky IV training outside in Siberia.

You all know you would have done the same.

(yeah the roof is dirty, it's just a shed, relax)

• Upvote 2

9u9k4l.jpg

And recently when it snowed I totally pretended to be Rocky IV training outside in Siberia.

Nice work. U even angle cut the top of the hanging supports where they meet the soffit...tidy...just need some white paint.

I'm going on vacation for 4 months starting in the New Year. Will have next to no gym access, and I won't be leading a healthy lifestyle whatsoever.

Anyone have any good ideas for any quick workouts I can do without any weights just to make sure I don't get too soft?

Pushups? Overhead pushups? Tricep dips. Running.... Surfing. What part of the world are you going to?

9u9k4l.jpg

That is legit.

Way to make things work with what you have.

Side note...since it's the time of year again:

a_cgmvkceaaxinl.jpg

9u9k4l.jpg

You'll be cursing that thing when you want to attempt a muscle up.

You'll be cursing that thing when you want to attempt a muscle up.

Indeed.

Though if I move that far into calisthenics it will be two metal poles in the ground with a welded bar.

This is just good old pulls and chins with added weight.

Nice work. U even angle cut the top of the hanging supports where they meet the soffit...tidy...just need some white paint.

Ha, thanks.

Agree with the white paint.

It will become the only clean patch on the shed.

Man, why the hell does your strength dip so much if you take a week off? I did for Christmas. Did deadlift of 475 x 3 x 3, 455 x 5 x 3 on Thursday, the week prior to Christmas. Start my break on that Friday. Come back tonight, have a way harder time than I should doing 405 x 5 x 5

Too much drinking, not enough rest and not eating well enough.