The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop blaming the goddamned refs

Deke

So you agree with the no call when the sharks threw away the puck? What about the non goal where the sharks jus grabbed the puck to stop it going into the net? Kassian's phantom call?

There are so many phantom calls against the canucks in those games that is sickening.

The game was fixed by the league, even a blind person can see that.

but that's the root of the problem right there, the exact same play might be considered a penalty / or not, depending on who the two players are, what the score in the game is, how much time is left, what the coaches might have said in last night's media scrum ect.  What were upset about is that ALL the boarderline calls were made for one team and NONE were called the other way.  that's not a contest.  That my friend is sports entertainment at it's finest.  refs have to much discretion to make the calls based on game momentum and there is NO STANDARD night in and night out, NONE.

it's the only professional sports league where the  rules change each game based on who is reffing

I disagree with this.

I believe that certain teams are looked at by officials with a jaundiced eye, usually due to incidents that occurred in the past.

The Canucks, deservedly or not, are most certainly one of those teams, IMHO.

Totally diasgree with the league is fixed theory. There is no way if that was the case that it would not get exposed. Every single game I can point out bad calls and no calls. I could even go along with Ref A has a bias agaist team B based on history but to say the fix is in is not rational. This is a business and the risk/reward makes no sense for a fix.

And the league saw these and did nothing. Ffs Bettman was there in game 4!

The fact is the officials have been shape the outcome of the games for years. From Dan getting 10 mins for getting punch to temps bay received 0 penalties in a game 7 against Boston. How naive you are to think that the league has nothing to do with it?

Bettman's mandate is to keep the Stanley Cup in the USA to generate interest and exposure.  No need to give Canadian teams a chance because that's a nation of hockey fans that won't stop watching the NHL and will keep spending $$ on their product.

There is NO way a conspiracy to fix games would go undected. Vegas has people that set odds based on an honest game. If they thought it was fixed they would not engage unless you are suggesting that they are also in on the fix. Theree is NO way the league is fixed. Impossible for something like this to not get out if it was because too many would have to be in on it and sooner or later it gets out.

My point is it is openly discussed how the NBA stars are treated different when it come to fouls. Some MLB pitchers have enjoyed a larger strike zone. All leagues know the fans want to see the stars in the game so rules are made to keep them in (no head hunting for example).That is not at all the same as making sure team A gets special treatment vs team B because the league wants team A to win.

This "theory" doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny.

A few years back, the Washington Capitals were the toast of the league and were led by the very marketable and likable Alex Ovechkin. In the playoffs that season, they were absolutely robbed on a disallowed goal, that very likely cost them the series.

Their opponents were the Montreal Canadiens.

That was one rougue ref, that I totally can see happening but to say the system is rigged is not the same. This ref (NBA) was involved in illegal gambling. The corruption of one is not at all the same as the corruption of an entire league.

I'm not surprised.  Unitl recently, people used to argue vehemently that professional wrestling was legitimate as well.

Obviously that's not true because you are here arguing against something that was perfectly obvious to any unbiased observer.

This is where you are 100% wrong.  The NHL wants to expand into American markets.  It would be a stupid business decision if they let Canadian teams into the final when it could be prevented.

Danville, in the grand scheme of things, I could really care less that the Canucks lost.  As I said, I would gladly trade the Canucks finishing last for the next 20 years if the NHL became a league with integrity.

Anyways, if the NHL is a league with integrity, please explain how Weber did not get a suspension for his WWE move https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahmWrWr80qg?

When you can't hit without ending up short handed, when your star players are slashed, cross checked and whacked each game, it pulls them off focus, etc. I'm convinced a level playing field would make a world of difference. These guys have to play a mental game called "can I can I not?" each game. It takes away from their on ice game.

Archived