The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lineup for 2013-2014

Lui's Knob

why cant we use Gaunce as third line center. they guys was beast in junior play time carried team to semi final. I would give him full year of play in nhl he will be ready in playoff time. I am pretty sure twins can take us to playoffs and be ok in playoff but Jansen-Gaunce-Kassian line can win if not atleast they got playoff experience plus cheep third line. rest of the money we can use to find RW and LW for Ryan.

Only way Edler goes is if we get Shea Weber in return. :rolleyes: We throw in Jensen and perhaps Schroeder, two first round draft picks and maybe even Hansen if it makes the difference. lol Hey, one can dream...

But in all seriousness I think we trade Lu to Florida for Versteeg and a 3rd round draft pick, we trade off Ballard to Minny for Konopka and a 2nd. We then re-sign Lappy and let Raymond walk, look for a back up goaltender after Lu is gone, possibly Lack. We then get Barker and Tanev re-signed to play on the bottom pairing, lastly Weise with a small raise and we're set. :canucks:

Sedin ($6.1) - Sedin ($6.1) - Burrows ($4.5)

Booth ($4.25) - Kesler ($5.0) - Versteeg ($4.4)

Higgins ($2.5) - Lapierre ($1.5) - Hansen ($1.35)

Weise ($730k) - Konopka ($925k) - Kassian ($870k)

Hamhuis ($4.5) - Bieksa ($4.6)

Edler ($5.0) - Garrison ($4.6)

Barker ($1.0) - Tanev ($1.2)

Schneider ($4.0)

Lack ($750k)

EDIT: I'm not too confident with Lack being number two in net or our depth going forward, but with the cap going down what choices do we really have? We could possibly offer less raises to certain players, we may have to, but we'll see.. I guess our prospects would have to step up if we did have injuries, which is pretty much inevitable. The main thing that worries me is who do we have for defensemen that can step in from our pool? We can't really afford much with this pitiful cap hit, maybe we have to keep Alberts... As much as I hate to admit it. <_<

a Fool's 2013/2014 lineup: "the ballad of Ballard"

AV, NB, Bowness: cya guys.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

? - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - ? - Hansen

? - Lappy - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Ballard - Corrado

Alberts

CS

Lack

Luo/Booth get traded; MayRay/Roy walk. Edler used as part of a package for Bobby Ryan or T. Vanek (would be cutting it close with the cap on this one).

Gaunce/JS get looks on the 3rd line. Would pick up a TWF at the deadline if either of them don't pan out.

Sedin - Sedin - Burr

Vanek - Kesler - Kassian

Higgy - Schroeder - Hansen

? - Lappy - Weise

PP1:

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek

Ballard - Garrison

PP2:

Burr - Kes - Kass

Hamhuis - Bieksa

4th line spot is a UFA signing: Torres, or Chipchura pref.

Things that scare me: the 3rd line C... Idk if Schroeder will have what it takes next year, but he deserves a spot and Higgy/Hansen can convert on the chances he'll set up. Our D is pretty questionable with Corrado in full-time.

If we get a new coach he might want to put his mark on the team. Meaning different line combo's and possibly splitting up the Sedin's. Perhaps a different coach would want something like:

Sedin-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Gaunce-Hansen

______-Lain-_______

Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

_______- Corrado

Alberts

Schneider

Lack

-Use Edler and Luo to fill in the empty positions and get a few prospects for the farm.

-Do not be fooled by the fact that the positions to fill are fourth line and bottom defense positions. MG needs to try and get two really solid 3rd line type players to fill the two fourth line positions. A good 6th defense man to really solidify our D pairs would be awesome too.

-Perhaps we sign a center man to play one of the open wings. Someone who is really good at face offs hopefully. It could be important with two rookie center man on the bottom two lines

-Trade Ballard for a pick if possible. Otherwise buy him out

-I put Gaunce on the third line mainly because we might want someone bigger than Schroeder in that position. If Gaunce is far from being ready than MG has to look at using Schroeder or finding someone through free agency.

-I have a feeling MG might keep Booth and see what he can provide when he's healthy. Expectations are low with him and perhaps he can at least be a solid 3rd line player (people will have to accept that he can produce at a 3rd line rate rather than at over a 4 million dollar rate)

-Depending on who fills the open positions, the line combos will obviously change throughout the season

-As earlier stated, I just split up the Sedin's because it might be in the plans of whoever the new coach is (if there will be a new coach)

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Jensen

Booth-Weiss-Hansen

Higgins-Schroeder-Larose

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Schneider

Lack

Luongo traded for picks/prospects, Ballard traded for prospects/picks, Raymond runs free to the East where he belongs, Lapierre's gone, Weise is the extra forward.

1. Hire Lindy Ruff as head coach, Scott Niedermayer for defense coach and Trevor Linden for special teams coach.

2. (VAN-PHI) Luongo, Higgins, Schroeder + 1st in exchange for Simmonds & Couturier

3. (VAN-FLA) Edler, Sweatt + 7th in exchange for Gudbranson & Upshall

4. (VAN-OTT) Ballard, Sauvé + 2014 2nd in exchange for Wiercioch & Gryba

5. (VAN-TOR) Booth + 5th in exchange for Fraser & McLaren

6. Sign Patrik Elias to a 3 year $14.25 million deal. $4.750 cap hit - Salary by year [6, 5.25, 3]

7. Sign Bryan Bickell & Viktor Stalberg to identical 3 year $6 million deals. $2.000 cap hit - Salary by year [1.5, 2, 2.5]

8. Sign Raffi Torres to a 2 year $3.75 million deal. $1.875 cap hit - Salary by year [2.25, 1.5]

9. $250,000 in cap space with this 24 man roster

Sedin - Sedin - Simmonds

Burrows - Elias - Kesler

Bickell - Couturier - Stalberg

Torres - Lapierre - Hansen

McLaren, Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Gudbranson

Wiercioch - Tanev

Fraser, Gryba

Schneider & Läck

We're gonna need to slot some rookies into the lineup, and shift money from the D to the forwards IMO.

These are the holes I see now:

Sedin Sedin Blank

Burrows Kesler Blank

Higgins Blank Hansen

Blank Lapierre Blank

I think Lapierre definitely gets re-signed. And I think we need to get a big name player to play with the Sedins like a Shane Doan. Or we need to get a really good second line right winger.

At least of couple of the holes will need to be filled by players like Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, or Gaunce.

why cant we use Gaunce as third line center. they guys was beast in junior play time carried team to semi final. I would give him full year of play in nhl he will be ready in playoff time. I am pretty sure twins can take us to playoffs and be ok in playoff but Jansen-Gaunce-Kassian line can win if not atleast they got playoff experience plus cheep third line. rest of the money we can use to find RW and LW for Ryan.

Sedin(6.1)-Sedin(6.1)-Horton(5)=17.2

Burrows(4.0)-Kessler(5.0)-Iginla(4)=13.0

Jansen(894k)-Gaunce(1.087)-Kassian(870k)=1.765

6-7million 4th line who can score and bring big hits share some valuable mins

Bieksa(4.6)-Hamhuis(4.5)=9.1

Garrison(4.6)-Corrado(599k)=5.2

Edler(5.0)-Tanev(1.5)=6.5

Schnieder –4mil

Lack---750k

As for the forwards:

Sedins-Kassian (give him a shot, he deserves it with the way he played with them at the beginning of the year)

Blank-Kesler-Burrows (i would say Jensen, but he needs more time in the AHL to develop in the North American style of hockey)

Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen (i believe Gaunce is NHL ready, already plays a 2-way game and a leader to be)

Blank-Lappiere-Blank (we need bigger, stronger grinders/fighters like Prust)

I would like to see Jensen, Lain, Schroeder called up at some time (if not filling those holes, ie. Schroeder on the 2nd line, making passes to Kesler or Lain on the 4th; or Jensen on 2nd and Schroeder to the AHL).

Alternate: Gaunce in the OHL for his last year of eligibility, AHL when the Bulls are out of the playoffs

Lappiere up to centre the 3rd line, Lain on the 4th, being a big pain in the sides of anybody

Archived