The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lineup for 2013-2014

Lui's Knob

Highly unlikely horvat and shinkaruk make the team unless they have amazing camps. They'll for sure get their 6-9 games but I don't see them in this year, I think they will make the 14-15 season unless the cap goes through the roof and we can land a superstar

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Jordan Schroeder ($0.975m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Joacim Eriksson ($0.925m)

$63,533,278

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m)

Brenden Morrow ($3.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.200m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Mark Fistric ($1.250m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,409,444; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,053,056

Agreed but Horvat is being undersold to us quite a bit. I expect the Canucks don't want to create elevated expectations like Zack has had to deal with. Horvat is quite possibly going to make the team and if he doesn't, it likely is just a testament to how good Gaunce has become over the last year. However I think the call ups will be numerous and frequent so we might as well just regard our 13th man (and even our 3C and 4C positions) as an X.

While it seems like everyone here has hammered out the roster more or less, my only contention is with having Zack in the top 6 and Schroeder somewhere in the bottom six. This is wrong for both players. Schroeder is a top 6 or bust kind of guy who has amazing playmaking ability, speed, ability to win battles on the boards and is defensively responsible. Given what he did with Hansen and Raymond as wings (and with a terrible F/O% like every rookie), he needs to be on Booth and Kes' line though likely on the wing. This has the potential to aid his develop his game at both ends of the ice while upping Booth and Kes' production. Kesler is also a perfect inoculation to Jordan's faceoff issues. Meanwhile Kass can work on his defensive game while playing easier competition and scoring some goals in the bottom 6. He'll be top 6 relatively soon but in the meantime, you need to develop him lower down the roster. It's not like everyone else in our bottom 6 has hands of stone now. Santorelli might pair very well with him or a rookie centre.

My other tweak was to put Garrison with Corrado and Tanev with Edler. Corrado and Edler each need someone to cover for their mistakes. We know Edler-Garrison doesn't work and Garrison's the steady one of the two. Kept Burr with the Sedins because we pay him 4.5M now for a reason. Left Jensen and Shinkaruk out because much of the Canucks org think they need a year in the AHL (and I agree with them).

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Schroeder

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Sestito Santorelli Kassian

Gaunce/Horvat

Weise

Bieksa Hamuis

Garrison Corrado

Edler Tanev

Weber

Luongo

Ericsson/Lack

Below are the lines I think we should try for the first game with minutes (m) for each player - some will get more based on special teams of course.

Sedin (19m) - Sedin (19m) - Kassian (15m)

Burrows (20m) - Kesler (20m) - Booth (15m)

Hansen (16m) - Richardson (12m) - Higgins (16m)

Jensen (10m) - Santorelli (9m) - Weise (9m)

Lain

Sestito

Gaunce

Hamhuis (21m) - Bieksa (21m)

Edler (22m) - Corrado (16m)

Garrison (22m) - Tanev (18m)

Weber

Luongo

Lack

PP1:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Edler - Garrison

PP2:

Burrows - Richardson - Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

PK forward duos:

Burrows-Kesler

Hansen-Richardson

Santorelli-Higgins

Sedin-Sedin

we better hope torts spread out the minutes for each d pairing....or else we'll just be having the same problem of having 4.5 mil dman on playing 15 min a game while the other 2 pairs gets over worked...

and i suppose our only option is to put either edler with tanev or edler with corrado/weber

because from what it seems from last season, edler garrison didn't impress, and edler bieksa was total disaster

have we actually ever tried hamhuis edler pairing once??? i can't recall... and have we tried garrison bieksa??

We have 5M cap space to sign Tanev and some depth guys.

Tanev for 2.5M max.

Weise for 600K.

That leaves around 2M to get us some depth.

Throw 1.5M at Fistric (he made 1.475M last season)

Our new defence:

Hamhuis - Bieksa (good chemistry)

Edler - Garrison (Torts will sort them out)

Fistric - Tanev (Fistric complements Tanev perfectly - big hitter and the positionally sound)

Corrado

Weber

I'm quite surprised how many people keep pencilling in Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce and Corrado into the line-up.

If I had to put the likelihood of which rookies have a chance to crack the roster for opening night is put them in this order.

1) Schroeder

2) Archibald

3) Corrado

4) Gaunce

5) Jensen

6) Horvat

*** To start the season ***

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Weise - Gaunce - Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

*** Middle of the season ***

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Gaunce - Richardson - Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Bieksa

Tanev - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Torterella has to go with something safe to start the season as he still gets to know the players in a game environment. But as the season progresses, I think he'll match players and juggle lines to form the team he envisions.

Top Line - Sedins and Kassian. Just like how the Sedins took home gold this year in the IIHF World Championships. They had a large winger picking up the scrappy goals.

Second Line - Lots of skills in this line if they are able to stay healthy. They play a 2 way game and neither hesitates to shoot which is what we need, more pucks to the net.

Third Line - SPEED.

Fourth Line - I think our fourth line will be more than capable to shut down opposing third or fourth lines, while being able to generate some offense. All players are big with good hockey IQ.

Archived