The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

not sure why we haven't hired someone. not like any of the coaches still in the playoffs are valid candidates...Blysma if he gets fired but he most likely wont despite the sweep(If that even happens) and if he did who knows if he'd want to come to van? plus, if he gets swept with his current roster what makes him an upgrade to AV? more offensive minded hockey a bunch of goons can push around and beat...seen that before. if anything from the pens I want it'd be their GM, not including players that is. idk about you guys but this pens/bruins series is reminding me of our series vs. them.

most people seem to think torts will wont be good here. I think he's just what we need. especially with our negative media that dogs on our own team more than our opponents do. torts is the kind of guy that will make our dumb ass media outlets eat their words the first time they say something stupid or critique a player unfairly. I mean two weeks ago he told them to "kiss his ass". as far as player relationships go hell start fresh, and if he learned from some mistakes in NY I doubt our players will hate him like they did in NY. not to mention, NY's roster is a bunch of whiners IMO, who knows how bad things really were.

I think Tippett would play a much more open game than he does in Phoenix. The biggest upside to Tippett is he is a master of developing young guys.

Having said that, Stevens and Eakins also have good records with developing and playing young players. Stevens has done a masterful job with the young defensemen the King have, but I don't think developing young defensemen is as much of a concern here as developing the young forwards is for the post-Sedin era.

I think with the particular group, Eakins is the guy for developing the young forwards since our defensemen seem to make the steps all by themselves (Tanev and Corrado, who saw THAT two years ago?).

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

turris-sens_620-thumb-620xauto-296092.jpg

Tippet wasn't master enough apparently (3rd overall pick)

I absolutely agree.

Eakins is the guy I've wanted since day one of the purging of AV. Not to say I haven't learned about more candidates in the process, I just think he's the best fit for us moving forward if Gillis really is looking to make this team younger and stronger. He's perfect in terms of new, fresh thoughts.

A second interview with most employers usually means you've made a good impression, and despite maybe some gaps in your resume, they just want to make sure.

So the second interview means one of two things.

1) He's got the job provided he doesn't bomb the second interview.

2) They are asking him what Toronto really wants for Luongo. ;)

No people who haven't been a head coach in the NHL already please. Need a veteran.

Scotty Bowman got his first NHL gig after coaching in the OHL. There was a bit of luck involved, the head coach of St. Louis resigned, and Bowman went from an assistant to head coach. Then coached the expansion St. Louis Blues to the Stanley Cup finals for three years in a row.

You have to start somewhere right?

If anyone hasn't noticed, unless you have a Blackhawks like offence, then you better have good defence.

What disturb me the most about Gillis is to keeps saying "I like offensive hockey". No buddy. You should like hockey that wins. That's not saying offensive hockey doesn't necessarily win, but it does say that he has the wrong frame of mind.

So hire Boucher, please. He turns on the offence when he can. He plays 1-3-1 when he has to. That's an example of what we need.

Scotty Bowman got his first NHL gig after coaching in the OHL. There was a bit of luck involved, the head coach of St. Louis resigned, and Bowman went from an assistant to head coach. Then coached the expansion St. Louis Blues to the Stanley Cup finals for three years in a row.

You have to start somewhere right?

Yes, everyone needs to start somewhere, just not here imo.

Who's John Stevens and why does everybody want him?

He won a Calder Cup with a stacked team. Stevens wasn't that great in Philadelphia and because he coached there, he knows how to deal with the media. Coupled with the work he's done in LA as assistant on special teams. If Gillis is going to base hiring Stevens solely on that, then he's pretty clueless and not too bright.

It would be so Canuck-like if Eakins leaves town after his second interview without the job then gets hired elsewhere, while Stevens subsequently gets scooped up by another team as well. Then what does Gillis do?

Waiting on Stevens is a big gamble, and MG isn't the gambling type. So I think Eakins gets the job.

If not, things are going to get very interesting.

Stevens is the not the right fit. Nor is Eakins. He has no NHL experience. I hope either Eakins stays with the Marlies or he goes to another NHL team.

There are other guys out there:

Ruff - Why hasn't he been interviewed?

Tippett - Wait and see once his contact expires and if he re-signs or not in Phoenix

Tortorella - Gillis is expect to interview him.

Stevens is the not the right fit. Nor is Eakins. He has no NHL experience. I hope either Eakins stays with the Marlies or he goes to another NHL team.

There are other guys out there:

Ruff - Why hasn't he been interviewed?

Tippett - Wait and see once his contact expires and if he re-signs or not in Phoenix

Tortorella - Gillis is expect to interview him.

Only one of those guys I would realistically entertain in the same company as Eakins/Boucher is Tippett. I'm not sure we can/should wait that long to see if we even get the chance to make a play for him...but we'll see.

The other two are non-starters IMO. Ruff is a good but not great enough coach to unseat any of the other guys IMO and Tort's is just a freaking loudmouth. He'd be entertainment for quotes and little else. This team needs someone to LEAD and inspire them to play. Not a loud mouthed, whip cracking, a-hole quote machine.

He won a Calder Cup with a stacked team. Stevens wasn't that great in Philadelphia and because he coached there, he knows how to deal with the media. Coupled with the work he's done in LA as assistant on special teams. If Gillis is going to base hiring Stevens solely on that, then he's pretty clueless and not too bright.

Are you serious? He's made doughty,Richards,carter and so many others find new levels too their games and developed so many good young players that's why he's wanted. Imagine what he could do for guys like edler and Kassian

Another AHL up and coming coach is Jeff Blashill. Assistant with Detroit last season, coach of Grand Rapids this season. One distinct difference between Blashill and Eakins is that Blashill's team is still playing. Not suggesting he is a better option than anyone mentioned just stating that he will likely garner interest from NHL clubs soon.

Archived