The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Extending Burrows Was A Great Move

TheRussianRocket.

Second in franchise history for shorthanded goals behind Pavel Bure and one ahead of Trevor Linden who happened to play double the games Burrows has. The Sedins don't PK. He has more shootout goals than both Sedins combined. He can score without the Sedins.

Generally I'm not a fan of NTC contracts, but I respect the fact that most of MG's were in conjunction with a bit of a financial discount.

However, I was really happy to hear that Burrows received one. It's hard to put a value on what he brings to the Canucks, I'm just glad we get it rather than someone else... heart and soul baby.

He has struggled ever since his one trick pony was caught on to. Those PK goals were from a few years back as well. I mean consistent scoring. Burrows is a great complementary player for the Sedins, but he isn't a star.

He has struggled ever since his one trick pony was caught on to. Those PK goals were from a few years back as well. I mean consistent scoring. Burrows is a great complementary player for the Sedins, but he isn't a star.

7 GWG's last year ranks him up near the top. Those are important goals He isn't a one trick pony, he's a workhorse

Paying 6 million dollars this year for at best a 30 goal scorer is act of sheer lunacy. The Sedins are declining and Burrows will be as well. This is the kind of stupidity is what will get Gillis fired very soon and some other unfortunate GM will have to clean up his many many mistakes. Burrows takes too many dumb penalties and with all his diving and flopping the referees are sick of his act.

The only reason he had some offensive production was because he was a francophone that the coach loved and gave him special treatment. Now that AV is gone (thank god) the next coach will put him back on the 3rd line where he belongs. I hope the next GM will trade him to Montreal soon before the new contract kicks in and the Canucks will get rid of one of the many bad contracts off the books.

He's 32 though and seems to be declining. Not sure how effective he will be in year 3 and 4, but at the same time I expect us to be in re-build mode by then so we should be able to take on his salary or he gets traded to a cup contender so he can try to go out a champion

Those who are complaining about Burrows contract doesn't remember Burrow's last contract. I don't even consider these people Canucks fans because they dont care for their players. Burrows took 2 mil/year from 2010 through 2013 even though he averaged like 28 goals a season. So his new 4.5mil/year contract just averages out the salary; Burrows deserve it for his production as a Canucks over all those years.

Archived