The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

Jesus christ. Ok so until Schneider actually does well in the playoffs, I win.

Hopefully he does, but I guess my crystal ball is too foggy for me to know for sure! Yours would appear to be clear as can be.

All anyone has offered is potential and presumptive extrapolations.

I am not saying that Luongo is better, but I am saying the difference is negligible, and that we can actually trade Schneider.

"Luongo's not untradeable" you say. Well so far, I'm right, he isn't tradable.

Trading Luongo will not get us anything of significance in return, so we can not add any necessary pieces to compete for a cup.

Do Schneider supporters/Luongo haters not understand this idea?

Go have another... whatever it is that dummies drink, I'm not sure!

Still can't believe u Cory fan boys still have the balls to say Cory is better after the playoffs....

If he was injured then why did he play??? Don't use that bull excuse.

He said he was ready and 100% healthy for game one... what happened to that?

Luongo spends the night in the hospital and plays hurt vs Montreal and plays stellar... that's what he brings to the table. He's god like when it matters.

I don't understand how Cory carried the team.... Cory was given a good chance and was never let out to dry like the treatment AV gives Lu You guys forget the previous season when Lu carried the team back up to the top last year when we lost to LA in the first round. It's easy to to say Cory has better stats, however look at the number of games played first and analyze the team in front of the goalie....Also Cory is not accomplished quite just yet, we all hope he wil be something and this can change at any time....Look at Boston and Chicago, they both changed their starting goalies and both teams are competing for a Stanley cup again this year and that's because the team is showing up and playing hockey...I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing how one goalie is better than the other and vice versa...

Lu crapped his pants during the playoffs and Cory did the same and the reality is, we need a team that can score

during the playoffs and we certainly need sone exciting players to watch... it's been over two years of plain

boring hockey with the exception of one exciting game here and there...We need some payoff performer's and not just the goalie, every single player needs to play in order to achieve the ultimate goal...If you guys want to bash the poor performance of this team, then you should start at the top line with the stars of this team....The the reality is, the team is made up of a ton of plugs with done craptastic contracts and that's the reason we're not winning...

Its all coming down from MG to AV to assistant coaches to the leaders of this team then to the d which has been pretty average to say the least considering the millions invested on players in the back end then lastly the goalie is

to blame...Over the past two years and a bit we've been playing other teams games instead of dictating how the game should be played and that's not a Lu ot Cory issue, they can both pay spectacular and steal a game here or there, but they will not be able to win a Stanley cup by themselves.

Cory played well this season, no doubt. But it's not true to say that it was better goaltending than we've gotten in the very recent past. It may look more impressive in comparison to the play of the rest of the team, but the truth is Cory's numbers this year equaled Luo's from 2 years ago.

This year, Cory had a .927 SV% and 2.11 GAA. In 2010/11, Luo had a .928 SV% and 2.11 GAA. And the years are further comparable because Cory had exactly half as many starts (30) as Luo had in 2010/11 (60). Even within the greater context of the league they are comparable. Cory was 4th among SV% leaders this season and Luo was 4th in 2010/11.

Though Cory was better as backup in 2010/11 than Luo was this year, the goaltending we got this year still wasn't significantly better than what we've gotten recently, but it should have been good enough to get us the same type of results. Despite our starter's stats being almost identical to 2010/11 when we won the President's Trophy, this year we ended up 8th in the league. Why? Because regardless of which was in net or who ultimately stays or goes, our biggest problem is not our goaltending!

While everyone was focusing on the emerging talent of Cory and what that meant for Luo, eating up the supposed drama like teenagers watching...whatever they play on CW these days, our team was deteriorating and almost nothing was done about it. We have much the same group as we had in 2010/11 but now they are scoring less, putting fewer shots on goal, winning fewer faceoffs, and treating PPs like nap time. Yes, they are 2 years older, but they are not old enough to justify the entire team's drop in production.

Compared to just 2 years ago, we're scoring 0.61 fewer goals and putting 3.1 fewer shots on goal per game. Our faceoff win percentage has dropped 7.3% in those 2 years. Shockingly, while our shots against rose 0.7 last year over the previous year, we actually allowed 1.2 fewer shots on goal per game this year than we did 2 years ago (and 1.9 fewer than last year.)

The fans', and more importantly coach's focus on goaltending has been a mere distraction from the real issues. We still have a team full of talented players with good years left in them. We should be getting better results from them, and hopefully the new coach will be able to do just that. AV is a good coach and I'll be shocked if he's still sitting at home playing Angry Birds come next season, but something has to change here and obviously his "just shuffle players and hope a goalie change will do the trick" plan wasn't working.

You said it yourself, and I agree - Schneider will be a great goaltender, but it will take time.

Sadly for us Canuck fans, that's something we don't have. If we wait for Schneider to become a premier goalie, at that point the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhuis will all be too old to contribute.

Cup contenders all have something in common - their core is of the same age. Look at Chicago, they've all grown together. Look at L.A, the same thing has happened. Likewise with Pittsburgh. Their core of 4 forwards, a couple of defencemen and a goalie were all peaking at the same time.

Sorry, but as good as Schneider has been in the regular season, he doesn't have the playoff experience necessary to play in such big games and high pressure situations. Luongo does. It would have made FAR more sense for this organization to keep Luongo as our designated starter, keep him around the 50-game mark during the season and then ride him hard where he plays best - in the playoffs.

MG should have traded Schneider a couple of seasons ago and gotten a star forward or defenceman back in return, and have Lack or Climie eventually take Luongo's #1 spot when his play starts to decline in about 3 or 4 seasons time. Instead, we've got ourselves a real log-jam now. Schneider is playing well now (not yet peaking), as is Luongo, and if we trade Luongo we'll end up with the same dillemma in a couple of seasons time when Lack and Climie are potential NHL starters.

Still can't believe u Cory fan boys still have the balls to say Cory is better after the playoffs....

Luongo spends the night in the hospital and plays hurt vs Montreal and plays stellar... that's what he brings to the table. He's god like when it matters.

Great post, I agree. Especially with the bolded statement.

For me its not a comparison of the two, the question in the title is asking why we are comfortable with Cory as our starter. I explained why. And also just to pump up Cory (not to put down Lu cause I am a fan) but this year he put up identical numbers to Luongo's Vezina candidate season. But Cory did it infront of a much worse team where he had to be the difference night after night. Lu was impressive (again, not hating on him, he was fantastic) but it wasn't quite the same situation.

I think at the top of there game both Cory and Lu are among the very best.

Anyways yeah I am comfortable with both and after seeing how great Cory was this past season I am definetly confident in him moving forward as I am and have been Luongo.

the question of how can you be confident in cory as number 1? well if luongo is as good as people on here say he is.... Cory has out played him for the last 2 seasons.... so why wouldnt you be confident in a goalie who has outplayed an aparent elite goalie for the last 2 years? the only problem i see is the luongo fan boys pinning every loss on Cory from here on out when. The fact is Luongo got to be the starter behind the best team in the league for 2 years with the easiest schedual for many years while the team was in its prime...Cory is now going to be the starter for a team that looks lost has taken many steps back from is former self and we are going to be in a harder division with a harder schedual.... either goalie from here on out will look less than stellar going forward with this team because of the crap they have playing infront of them..... love how apollo makes his mind up about cory from 2 playoff games this year when Luongo has had 10+ playoff games just as bad or worse ..

And that's why his stats are better in his 700+ game regular season career over his 60+ game playoff career.

That's why he had a 3.40+ GAA and .880 Sv% in the SCF.

That's why he has never won a Stanley Cup or anything else of significance in the NHL.

Because he's "god-like" when it matters.

I could continue but I wont, but this kind of nonsense is a big reason I bash on Luongo. Sheer ridiculousness.

And that's why his stats are better in his 700+ game regular season career over his 60+ game playoff career.

That's why he had a 3.40+ GAA and .880 Sv% in the SCF.

That's why he has never won a Stanley Cup or anything else of significance in the NHL.

Because he's "god-like" when it matters.

I could continue but I wont, but this kind of nonsense is a big reason I bash on Luongo. Sheer ridiculousness.

Archived