The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

delete

RottenCanuck22

Well nobody was helping me with this for one, I didn't even really think about it. Also, after my mom confirmed it was him who died (after first hearing about it from an obituary or whatever), she said things like "oh we didn't find any info about a will or anything like that and he was probably a broke loser anyway" which is completely wrong - he had a significant estate. So being somewhat young and not experienced with this sort of thing I didn't even really think about it. It wasn't until my moms ex husband, the father of my moms other kids and my half siblings (who says "I owe him my life") said I might have a claim to some sort of estate when he started helping me look in to things, which was probably to late anways. My mom probably didn't want to help cause she knew she wouldn't get money and her ex husband probably wanted to help because he wanted some money for having to pick up the slack..

It's an extremely complicated issue and I don't even think its possible for me to explain it properly.. All I know is I got royally screwed.

Hey, Sorry to hear about your situations. I want to say a couple things as their are a few people here making assumptions that may be incorrect. And you need to consider them, for you and your father.

You say that he never paid and child support and was left off of the Birth cert,like it was his fault. I know of a couple situations where those decision were all made by the Mother, When they were prego the couple broke up and the Mother told the guy to take a hike, and ignored opportunities to let the Father be part of the kids life. I am not saying this is your case, but there is a chance that back then, he could have wanted to be a part of your life and wasn't given the chance.

Unfortunately, leaving your Father off of the BCert is your Mothers fault, normally this stuff doesn't matter, but in your situation it does and it sucks. Too often peoples emotions/hate get involved in decision making, and that seems like the case here.

At this point, I think the best option is to try and connect with some of your birth fathers friends or family (if he had any that you know of), as there may be a chance he talked about you to people who knew him well. Maybe try and talk to people who knew him around the time you was born, as he would have likely been talking about it with people who knew him.

Good luck.

He has no family or anything. His wife didn't even know I existed and would probably wish I didn't anyways. crap, I bet she's happy as hell right now my claim is out of the picture.

And I agree, the original situation with birth certificate is entirely my moms fault. Not her problem though, she just took advantage of her ex and made it his problem but at the same time wouldn't allow him to be a guardian. You guys don't know the half of it, you probably wouldn't want to know.

Some people comments are pretty crappy,,

If I was you I would get a new lawyer, or find one that specializes in Estate Planning.

This is very complicated and above the head of many people on this board, I would delete this thread as your going to have assholes dissing you and your family, as there are an abundance of rude losers on this board.

I dont know the time frame for you to contest your claim on the estate, because no will was discovered and your relationship was never recorded. Maybe if he has police records or done tests somewhere before, I really do not know how to prove that, but you should be talking to a Will and Estate Lawyer, and one with a good reputation. Consultations are free, look around and find one who can hlep you, the longer you wait its just going to keep getting harder.

Good luck man!

Some people comments are pretty crappy,,

If I was you I would get a new lawyer, or find one that specializes in Estate Planning.

This is very complicated and above the head of many people on this board, I would delete this thread as your going to have assholes dissing you and your family, as there are an abundance of rude losers on this board.

I dont know the time frame for you to contest your claim on the estate, because no will was discovered and your relationship was never recorded. Maybe if he has police records or done tests somewhere before, I really do not know how to prove that, but you should be talking to a Will and Estate Lawyer, and one with a good reputation. Consultations are free, look around and find one who can hlep you, the longer you wait its just going to keep getting harder.

Good luck man!

Well an obvious question would be did he have any other kids, parents, brothers or sisters? DNA tests can be done to determine if at the very least you are related to him. There has to be someone on record that is related to your father, I would seek them out over what someone else posted and going to his wife. You would most likely find better reception with a blood relative.

Well an obvious question would be did he have any other kids, parents, brothers or sisters? DNA tests can be done to determine if at the very least you are related to him. There has to be someone on record that is related to your father, I would seek them out over what someone else posted and going to his wife. You would most likely find better reception with a blood relative.

He has no family or anything. His wife didn't even know I existed and would probably wish I didn't anyways. crap, I bet she's happy as hell right now my claim is out of the picture.

And I agree, the original situation with birth certificate is entirely my moms fault. Not her problem though, she just took advantage of her ex and made it his problem but at the same time wouldn't allow him to be a guardian. You guys don't know the half of it, you probably wouldn't want to know.

Seems that in this situation, although there is a legal right for you to make the claim (assuming the DNA tests pan out), do you have a moral claim? What I am getting at is, whether your father would have left you anything if he had a will drawn up, knowing that he was going to die? From your story, he was out of the picture for a long time. If his intention was to leave everything to his wife and depending on how long his wife has been with him; from her perspective, you are some random guy trying to get a piece of a life that they built together. In that situation, especially if he accumulated this wealth while married to this woman, do you really have a morale claim? Judging from your mom's comment that she expected him to be a broke loser, the money was probably not there when he was with your mom.

Then, if it would make you feel any better, assuming that you don't get any money out of this, you can't really think about this as you losing $140K, but instead, the money was never meant to be yours to begin with.

Seems that in this situation, although there is a legal right for you to make the claim (assuming the DNA tests pan out), do you have a moral claim? What I am getting at is, whether your father would have left you anything if he had a will drawn up, knowing that he was going to die? From your story, he was out of the picture for a long time. If his intention was to leave everything to his wife and depending on how long his wife has been with him; from her perspective, you are some random guy trying to get a piece of a life that they built together. In that situation, especially if he accumulated this wealth while married to this woman, do you really have a morale claim? Judging from your mom's comment that she expected him to be a broke loser, the money was probably not there when he was with your mom.

Then, if it would make you feel any better, assuming that you don't get any money out of this, you can't really think about this as you losing $140K, but instead, the money was never meant to be yours to begin with.

Isn't there a a statute of limitations to such matters. Two years after the fact may be two late to file any claim.

Plus if there is no will, everything goes to the wife anyway.

Too bad wetcoaster is no longer available on this forum, he is a lawyer and am sure he would have provided valuable advice.

Archived