The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Star Wars Battlefront 3!

Mr. White

• 5 months later...

Played the beta around 10hrs. Was not sure about it at first but it is growing on me. I have played a tonne of battlefield so being that Dice are the developers when Star Wars Battlefront 3 was announced I pictured a Star Wars skinned battlefield.

Well it is not that. It has a way more arcady feel. It does not have the depth of battlefield however as it is a beta there are only two game modes and limited weapons so the end game may have more staying power. The action is faster than battlefield. I have never played COD so it might be similar to that accept cooler because it is Star Wars!

The vehicle controls/movement are simplified in comparison to battlefield - especially the star fighters. No bullet drop. Little or no recoil. Definitely for a broader audience. The gadgets are cool and offer a variety of play styles.

Walker Assault is fun but right now it is unbalanced. It is pretty hard to take out the At-At's so the Empire almost always wins. The last section of the map is usually a slaughter. But as I said there might be more weapons in the end game which could help balance everything.

They need to fix the spawns but for the most part that is pretty good in Walker Assault and not a problem in the other game mode which is about capturing pods. cant remember the name of that game mode but it is infantry based - There are more game modes but not in the beta.

I am playing on PC and the graphics are sweet. Runs pretty good so far.

I might pick it up as a casual shooter and that surprises me because I also want to get Squad which is on the opposite spectrum of FPS's.

How did I forget about the heroes! I have only played as Luke or Darth Vader a couple times but they are super fun and bad ass...

this guy has lots of SW Battlefront 3 videos that may help you decide. This video is with the Dice designer so there is a lot of insight into the development.

Walker Assault is fun but right now it is unbalanced. It is pretty hard to take out the At-At's so the Empire almost always wins. The last section of the map is usually a slaughter. But as I said there might be more weapons in the end game which could help balance everything.

They need to fix the spawns but for the most part that is pretty good in Walker Assault and not a problem in the other game mode which is about capturing pods. cant remember the name of that game mode but it is infantry based - There are more game modes but not in the beta.

Funny you say Empire almost always wins, because I've played it twice so far and both times won as we destroyed the AT-AT's.

Although, I was doing pretty bad just starting out and our base was getting swarmed in that last part of the battle.

Funny you say Empire almost always wins, because I've played it twice so far and both times won as we destroyed the AT-AT's.

Although, I was doing pretty bad just starting out and our base was getting swarmed in that last part of the battle.

Wow. I'll take your word for it but the cards are super stacked against the rebels. The flying vehicles are super difficult to control. I get nobody here was able to or saw someone take a walker down with a speeder tow cable.

This game plays way to much like CoD as foot infantry. Say what you will, but I'm firmly, FIRMLY against Imperial weapons customisation. A Star Wars game needs to have asymmetrical gameplay from head to toe, and not just vehicle combat.

I need to play more because, after two hours, I'm not a fan. Feels cartoonish, weapons are imbalanced, spawns an issue. It's been hard graft rather than FUN, which SWB always used to be.

Wow. I'll take your word for it but the cards are super stacked against the rebels. The flying vehicles are super difficult to control. I get nobody here was able to or saw someone take a walker down with a speeder tow cable.

This game plays way to much like CoD as foot infantry. Say what you will, but I'm firmly, FIRMLY against Imperial weapons customisation. A Star Wars game needs to have asymmetrical gameplay from head to toe, and not just vehicle combat.

The rebels do usually lose but in all fairness it is often because most of the people playing are just going for kills and ignoring the objectives where as that tactic favors the Imperials.

This was of course just the Beta. The real game with have many different modes and maps and obviously they will make a large amount of changes in balance.

However with that said while I personally think the game is fun I didn't feel like it was anything special from playing it. It just felt like an inferior version of Battlefield/COD/Halo mixed.

Yeah, I don't think it's amazing by any means. Just seems like it's a bit more arcadey a la Call of Duty, but with Battlefield's engine and a Star Wars theme. I haven't even done much in the Beta yet, though.

I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to buy the full game either, as Fallout comes out around then and that's the no-brainer.

If people actually try and go for the objectives in Walker Assualt, it's very easy for the rebels to win. I was in a match that ended before the imperials made it to the first check point because the rebels used the snow speeders like they're supposed to.

As far as the vehicles go, I have no idea why they decided to not invert the controls (like pretty much every other game where you control a flying vehicle!) but I found piloting was much, much easier when I changed that setting.

Archived