The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

interesting read about our prospect goalie svedberg

could he be part of a deal during the season?

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Niklas Svedberg is the man in the middle for the Boston Bruins.

Not in the way being "in the middle" is typically associated with hockey, of course. Svedberg is a 24-year-old goaltender who has built a strong resume in his native Sweden and the American Hockey League, but his path forward with the Bruins remains murky.

Svedberg is competing with Chad Johnson, who was signed to a one-year, $600,000 contract in the offseason, to be Tuukka Rask's backup for the Bruins this season.

"We need to still look at [svedberg] closely and decide which one of the two we're going to start with anyways," coach Claude Julien said before Svedberg was scheduled to start for the Bruins in a preseason game Thursday night.

Rask also signed a contract this summer, and there are 56 million reasons why he's likely to be the No. 1 guy in Boston for the foreseeable future. The obvious path for Svedberg in another organization would be to go back for a second season in the AHL and more seasoning, but the Bruins also have Malcom Subban, a first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, and he will be a rookie for Providence this season.

Svedberg posted a 2.17 goals-against average and .925 save percentage in his first season with Providence, though his play also slipped in the Calder Cup Playoffs. He had two strong seasons with Brynas in the top division in Sweden before that.

The Bruins could opt to keep Johnson, who is on a one-way contract and would have to pass through waivers, and let Svedberg and Subban split the playing time in the AHL. Other clubs have had two top goaltending prospects and the options -- let them split time in the AHL or send one to the ECHL -- have played to mixed reviews.

Given Rask's contract and Subban's pedigree, it is certainly plausible Svedberg's future could lead him to another organization. For now, he's focused on the task at hand, and he wants to be in the NHL this season.

It might mean only playing 15-20 games while Rask handles the bulk of the work, but Rask looked like he would be in the same position not that long ago with Tim Thomas firmly entrenched in Boston.

"No, I mean it's two different leagues," Svedberg said. "I want to be in the best League, which is the NHL. So that's my goal and first I'll focus on the game [Thursday night]. And I'll take it after that."

St. Louis Blues Roster Update

Morrow - Weiss - Hodgson

Erat - Legwand - Horcoff

Spaling - Goc - Galiardi

Labrie - Vitale- Crabb

Bournival - Bergenheim

Gorges - Ehrhoff

Schultz - Erskine

Prout - Tallinder

Sulzer

Mason

MacDonald

Greenville

Raffl - Powe - O`Brien

Halmo - Sgarbossa - Archibald

Selleck - Jooris - Abbott

Culek - Sundher - Lucia

Borowiecki - Gelinas

Jarvinen - Konan

Fournier - Abeltshauser

Laleggia - Gryba

Svedberg

Perhonen

is anyone in this league interested to join my fantasy league?

its a fun league this season (no premium, just a few rules and tons of points) but could turn into a serious league next year

10 teams, 2 divisions, 4 teams makes the playoffs

i´m looking for 2 guys ..anaheim and st.louis are available...team name changes are possibly

TRADE: The Los Angeles Kings have made a trade with the Florida Panthers.

To LA:

David Perron

Mark Fraser

Derek Grant

FLA 2015 2nd Round Draft Selection

To FLA:

Michael Del Zotto

Darren Helm

Jerome Gauthier-Leduc

LA 2015 3rd Round Draft Selection

We are very pleased to have added Michael, Darren and Jerome to the organization. We have had it in our minds to acquire a top-4 defenseman throughout the summer, but were planning to make a move closer to trade deadline, but when opportunity arose to acquire Michael it was an opportunity we couldn't refuse, a great young puck-moving defenseman on a very good team is an asset that doesn't become available often. We wish David the best of luck with the Kings, with a top-6 spot now open Brandon Saad will now be stepping into the top-6 full-time, a role that he has shown he can flourish in. Darren Helm will be a tremendous addition to the teams bottom-6 once he gets healthy, he has been skating and began practicing with his team lately, and we are hopeful he will make a return to the lineup sometime in late-October or early-November.

Lines at Panthers camp this weekend:

Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane

James Neal - Charlie Coyle - Chris Stewart

Tyler Toffoli - Michal Handzus - Chris Neil

Gregory Campbell - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Matt Martin

_______ - Craig Adams - Chris Brown

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Erik Karlsson

Justin Schultz - Michael Del Zotto

Matt Niskanen - Adam McQuaid

David Rundblad

Corey Crawford

Darcy Kuemper

Expected LTIR to start the season:

Darren Helm

Tomas Vokoun

Weiss with 11 mins toi Last night and Not only One scorerpoint in the pre-season. I hope this will change in the regular.

Morrow with 13 mins toi and no points in his 1st game. Well he is expected to play at the Bottom 6 irl...we'll See if he can move up during the season.

Iguess the goalie question in philly remains Open after that game from emery.

haha nice! I'd say pop by but we finally got Connor to sleep. :lol:

Fire me a text msg or PM tomorrow if you're free. Anyone else feel free to do the same! :)

I'll be at work from 11 to 8 tomorrow. It's pretty slow between 2 and 3 so that would be a pretty good time if you're in the mood for pizza. swing by me n eds and ask for cory. We're less then 10 minutes from you

interesting read about our prospect goalie svedberg

could he be part of a deal during the season?

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

I am still sticking to my assessment of Chad. He will turn a lot of heads this year as a backup and folks will say "Hey where did that guy come from?"....if he is waived I could see a team pick him up, but i doubt he will be waived.

Archived