The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

Rangers Roundup!

News out of Rangers Camp is that Cody Bass has suffered a broken thumb and will not start the season with the big club. Last year concussion and a shoulder injury limited him to just 18 games in the minor league. This year isn't starting out any better for Cody who was being sent down the day of the injury. Cody is expected to be out at least a month this time around, and you can't fight for a spot when you can't play. Unfortunate start to his year, but we will see him as a midseason callup.

In other news Patrick Sieloff, recently signed to his entry level contract will NOT be returned to his Junior Club. GM Primal Optimist has decided that if Patrick does not make the team he will play for the minor league affiliate. Sieloff was drafted out of the USDH program and not the CHL, so the 'send back' rule does not apply in this case. Patrick Sieloff is officially a PRO hockey player at the age of 19. It remains to be seen if he makes the club for opening night, as a minor setback of a broken cheeckbone requires some headgear for the very talented young blueliner.

Final cuts are just hours or days away, and there is a good mix in the room of nervous anticipation. Patrick Sieloff was thought to be out of contention for a dman spot on the opening roster, however with recent remarks from the GM, he is very much back in the mix. 8 forwards are still working hard for 4 openings up front while 3 dmen are working for the final blueline job. When asked to elaborate on the defensemen, Primal only pointed out that Philip Larsen had an outstanding camp and looks to be a lock on the bottom pairing.

Suggestion: I don't think teams should be allowed to claim players off waivers and place them in their minor league systems this season. In my opinion if a team picks a player up off waivers they should be given 24 hours to open up a roster spot for them in the NHL.

This would potentially slow down the rate of teams plucking players off of waivers just because they can lol.

Suggestion: I don't think teams should be allowed to claim players off waivers and place them in their minor league systems this season. In my opinion if a team picks a player up off waivers they should be given 24 hours to open up a roster spot for them in the NHL.

We did make this change last season.

EDIT: Opening day roster (don't hurt us, pls):

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo

Hertl - Bozak - Brunner

Grigorenko - Nash - Johnson

Desjardins - Hamilton - Sheppard

Boyle - Hedman

Aulie - Josi

De Haan - Belov

Price

Budaj

IR (pending approval):

Havlat, Torres, Stalberg

Also Brad Boyes signed with Florida today.

Sam Gagner is out 6-8 weeks of the regular season after receiving a high stick from teammate Zack Kassian.

Lost two key players to start the season on one play.

Jordin Tootoo will likely be injured to start the season as well actually opening up another potential roster spot.

I would like to voice an opinion that I think waivers works as intended. Only the lowest end teams win claims on players worth claiming. That is all i have really: will live with whatever is the rule. I know I claimed a lot last year, but it helped me, I THINK ANYWAYS, dig myself out of the bottom 8 or 9 positions league wide...and now, again ii think, I am up a bit on my total package and won't be "winning" any waiver claims worth claiming. Just one mans opinion, but waiving players who don't cut your lineup means help is on the way to the bottom teams...I imagine that if we are to change the waiver process, we could perhaps double the window to 48 hours so that every GM has time to see if a player is waived...but to change it to benefit the waiving team is not good, in my opinion. And yes i may have to waive a good player in December when Souray comes back, so i am speaking not as a claimer but as a potential waiver.

EDIT: I am really easy on whatever is decided, i just feel that the waiver wire is decent right now in that it allows the last place team to pick up a guy who couldn't find his ground as the 23rd guy on a better team. What the claiming low end team does with him is up to them...but now that I think about it...if they claim him, and they don't put him on the top line, don't they have to waive him to get him to the minors? I think that is the rule they brought in last year..i am good with that.

Not as controversial at it sounded I hope...i only mean that tweaking it so that they can only claim if they will put on their main roster is a limit being placed, a throttling down of claims will ensue and more teams will get to keep their waived players on their minor rosters vs what was happening which yes included some teams claiming players and putting them on the minor rosters.

Its really just potatoe patatoe. I wanted to voice my opinion that any throttling down of waiver claims will inherently work to the advantage of higher quality/better managed teams whereas any loosening up of waiver rules would work to the advantage of bottom end/worse managed teams. I guess it all depends on perspective.

OH and I want to add that I am just expressing my thoughts on the very narrow topic. Whatever the rule is, the rule is. I am good with whatever happens, I feel that we should wherever possible mirror the NHL, and right now I am unclear on their rules...but if they have a claim him for the big club rule, then we should too.

Archived