The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Kevin Bieksa

Now that we have a coaching staff who can adjust both before and during games, I don't think the game plan will go out the window like when AV and company used to go into panic mode every time Bieksa got injured. Hell, I think they actually played the guy most of the year when he was injured anyway because they were too afraid to do without him. Unfair to the team and unfair to Bieksa too as he never had a chance to heal properly and it showed. As much as I slag on the guy, he did not deserve to be expected to play 25+ hard minutes in the playoffs while injured. That is just bad coaching and who knows what long term effects it could have on Bieksa.

This team could use a leadership change anyway and Bieksa is not likely to get any better at this stage. His nagging groin injury suggests it might be as good a time as any to pull the plug on his time in Van.

I am willing to bet that even Gillis could win a trade with the Rangers right now if he offered to reunite Bieksa and AV. And I bet Bieksa would waive his NTC in a second too.

Bieksa won't be getting traded, he's just too valuable to this team.

Bieksa seems like a Flyers type of d-man. I wonder what the return could be if it was Edler instead of Bieksa.

The Flyers would probably take it though if Edler was substituted for Bieksa in that deal. But is it a fair trade for both teams?

Bieksa won't be getting traded, he's just too valuable to this team.

We can't afford to lose Juice, he's one of the two expierenced/proven right handed defensemen we have. We'd be fine if we traded Edler if the return was good enough. For example;

Helm and Nyquist from Detroit

Ryan and/or Etem from Anaheim

Couturier and a 1st from Philly

I think a third line center should be demanded in any potential Edler trade.

I really laugh at the views of Bieksa on here.

Please watch his play during the season folks and see how often he makes a bad decision with the puck, coughs it up, or is out of position, only to have Hammer cover for him.

Trading him would not only bring back likely a decent forward/young asset, it would be addition by subtraction with Tanev and Corrado ready to take on a larger role.

Anyone here who says Bieksa is tough etc, yes he can fight and provides toughness occasionally, he also allows his emotions to take him out of position when he starts chasing guys around the ice trying to hit them. It happened in SJ about 5-6 times in that series.

He is a vet and can't be making brain farts at this stage of this career, yet how often do we say he does?

I trade Bieksa well before I trade Edler. OP is right. He's going to have issues with Torts, and I'll remind everyone when he does that I said it. AV allowed him to make errors and it didn't matter.

That was the problem in the room. When AV came here, everyone was accountable, over time, he started playing favorites. Some became players who could do 'no wrong' - Bieksa, Alberts, etc. and others became whipping boys - Kassian, Schroeder, etc. That will change under Torts, favoritism out the window and he's going to have to own his errors.

That won't sit well with his inflated ego.

Bieksa is IMO the most overrated Canuck. He acts like he is tough with the opposing teams weaker forwards, the toughest thing about him is his stupid stare. He fights guys like Marleau, his risk for reward his very low. Shoulda traded him years ago.

If we were to trade Bieksa, I would assume that the Leafs would be tops on his list, being an Ontario boy.

I would rather trade Bieksa than Edler, since Edler has a higher ceiling. It would seem we need to shift some salary, with Corado, Tanev being cheap options that can log decent minutes I could see us moving Bieksa and sign Blum at the minimum and move salary to our forward group.

If we could get Couturier to solve our 3rd line center woes AND a younger dman who is bigger, more physical, and better defensively for Bieksa you think we should not do it?

That would be a great return for Bieksa so it has nothing to do with championing him. I champion making this team better.....

Archived