The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joacim Eriksson | G

avelanch

but returning them to utica is a different story

That depends on how long we'd be calling Markstrom back up for. I'd think it'd be only for injury cover at this point maybe at best as a result of a trade to one of Miller or Lack but then we likely wouldn't be sending him back down. If it's injury cover and short term, then he won't have to clear waivers again to be sent back, only if he plays 10 games or stays with the team 30 days.

I know that's the rule when he's cleared waivers but has yet to be sent down, but I think that's the case with players on recall as well.

That depends on how long we'd be calling Markstrom back up for. I'd think it'd be only for injury cover at this point maybe at best as a result of a trade to one of Miller or Lack but then we likely wouldn't be sending him back down. If it's injury cover and short term, then he won't have to clear waivers again to be sent back, only if he plays 10 games or stays with the team 30 days.

I know that's the rule when he's cleared waivers but has yet to be sent down, but I think that's the case with players on recall as well.

i believe the 30 day rule starts from the time that he first passed through waiver, so it's in effect already and it expires by the end of this month. after that he'd have to pass through waivers again before being sent back down.

• 8 months later...

Per various reports, #Comets all-time winningest goaltender, Joacim Eriksson, has signed with Dinamo Riga of the KHL.

If markstrom/lack is traded cannata becomes #3 on depth chart. Ouch.

Now they have to trade a goalie and sign a goalie..Markstrom does not want to go back to Utica.

Was all but a foregone conclusion that Eriksson was going to head back to Europe...hope JB is able to sign McCollum who appears to have been cut adrift by the Wings.

25 yo, good size (6'2" 215), decent pedigree (1st rd., 30th overall in 2008)...stuck behind Howard, Gustafsson, Mrazek...very good AHL numbers. He and JoeCan could form a decent tandem in Utica next season.

Was all but a foregone conclusion that Eriksson was going to head back to Europe...hope JB is able to sign McCollum who appears to have been cut adrift by the Wings.

25 yo, good size (6'2" 215), decent pedigree (1st rd., 30th overall in 2008)...stuck behind Howard, Gustafsson, Mrazek...very good AHL numbers. He and JoeCan could form a decent tandem in Utica next season.

Would much rather see them sign Richard Bachman who nearly stole the series for OKC. McCollum's poor play was the main reason the Comets beat Grand Rapids.

Would much rather see them sign Richard Bachman who nearly stole the series for OKC. McCollum's poor play was the main reason the Comets beat Grand Rapids.

Wut? You mean it wasn't the outstanding tending of Markstrom, clutch performances by Gaunce, Grenier, Baertschi, et. al., and team commitment to defence that weren't the main reasons for the Comets beating the Griffins? If not, that's sort of disappointing.

But the point you make is well taken. Bachman would be a decent guy to have in the no. 3/4 slot...reminds me of Curtis Sandford, the goalie that rode the pine behind Luongo several years ago.

The quantity of relatively young UFA goalies that are available for a one year deal and would be decent in the no. 3/4 slot are a plenty...Hackett, Svedberg, McCollum, York, Enroth, Lindback, Bachman...any one of those could fill that role. My choice is still McCollum since he comes from the Wings organization and given their reputation for developing players in all positions, he might be equal parts decent tender for the Comets and NHL prospect for the Canucks.

Throw in a Whistle or Appleby signing and the Canucks should be back to having tending depth like they have had for the past few seasons.

Now they have to trade a goalie and sign a goalie..Markstrom does not want to go back to Utica.

I think Marks will backup Miller and Lack will be traded.

They shouldn't have any problem finding a goalie to step in for Eriksson. They need to fill in the gap until Demko arrives on the scene.

Archived