The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aaron Rome should have been re signed/Tribute thread

Kim Jong-Trill

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

1 - Rome targeted a player after he passed the puck.

2 - Two players entangle and their momentum carries them into the boards.

You don't see a difference between the two incidents? Which is why trying to compare them is absolutely stupid.

Btw, Boychuks reaction time would need to be calculated from the moment he realized Raymond was in an awkward position, not from the moment contact was initiated. You'd need it to the tenth of a second.

That bold part really made me laugh as you brought it up. And Boychuk may have had slightly more time but his addition point whatever of a second occured while struggling with a player while in motion. Look again at the difference between the situations above. This is what you are completely ignoring.

1. The way I see it, Rome was in his defensive position when Horton skate towards him 0.7 seconds after he passed the puck. Rome can either finish his hit or let him have a mini break away.

He landed the hit on Horton and the hit went bad. It was a typical interference call and nothing is dirty about that especially Rome had half a seconds to think of his action when Horton is skating towards him trying to make a breakaway.

However, you spin the fact and made it sound like Rome had a fully calculated thought process and intend to injure Horton and therefore deserves the longest suspension in the NHL playoff cup final history.

2. two players tangled for nearly 2 seconds after their initial contact without a puck, and Boychuk decided to not do anything to stop the momentum even when Raymond was in an awkward position.

In your version you twist it and make it sounds like the players didn't have enough time to know whats going on, and the play without the puck in sight was just a freak accident. In one version you even made it sound like it was Raymond who skate in front of Boychuk first so it was his problem that he got hurt.

if you can't tell the difference between 0.7 seconds and 1.8-2 seconds, then I really dont see why you have to continue to reply in this debate. You blamed a guy who had 0.7 seconds to think of his movement and call him dirty, and right away you claimed Boychuk didn't have enough time to adjust his momentum when he pushed Raymond for 2 seconds and 2-3 feet on ice and slammed him into the board.

This kind of double standard is exactly what the media and league is trying to sell these days, and it's funny there are actually people who would buy that.

we are not talking about 2 seconds before the players contact. We are talking about 2 seconds after the players contact and one decide to continue his motion towards the board without any puck in play.

1 - Rome moved laterally to make the hit after the pass was made knowing Horton had no idea the hit was coming and the puck was long gone.

2 - If there was so much time for decision making during the Raymond/Boychuk incident why didn't Raymond simply drop to his knees to protect himself rather than remaining in such an awkward position?

3 - You'll need to supply exact times from Raymond ending up in his awkward position to contact with the boards. In tenths of a second please.

4 - You're still ignoring the big difference between the two incidents. One was a conscious choice while the other was momentum during a physical struggle.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

1 - Rome targeted a player after he passed the puck.

2 - Two players entangle and their momentum carries them into the boards.

You don't see a difference between the two incidents? Which is why trying to compare them is absolutely stupid.

Btw, Boychuks reaction time would need to be calculated from the moment he realized Raymond was in an awkward position, not from the moment contact was initiated. You'd need it to the tenth of a second.

That bold part really made me laugh as you brought it up. And Boychuk may have had slightly more time but his addition point whatever of a second occured while struggling with a player while in motion. Look again at the difference between the situations above. This is what you are completely ignoring.

The fact that he was not actually injured...? The fact that it was a Scotts Stevens type hit. Go watch Stevens murder Kariya and then hear you cry for a suspension on that hit. It was an overplayed hit, slow motion made it seem "late", and Horton faked an injury to send one of our better players off the ice with the other half of our injured team.

should have focus on the main points grinder had point out instead of shifting to EA.

Honestly you are one of the few posters in cdc where I mostly respect their opinions. But I just can't understand how you can look at both plays so differently :/

o well

I look at them differently because they are in fact very different situations. As I've pointed out repeatedly. Rome didn't have the distraction of a physical struggle. He was watching Horton the entire time and AFTER Horton passed the puck and traveled about 10 feet he THEN moved towards him to hit him. Rome was completely aware that Horton didn't have the puck and was in a vulnerable position before he even moved towards him.

Raymond and Boychuk were locked in a physical struggle (created by Raymond) with their momentum carrying them towards the boards. Try it sometime. Just get two friends one to say go and count one, two while you and the other friends start pushing each other. Your focus is entirely on the physical struggle. I've been there struggling with a d-man going to the corner to retrieve a puck. Your focus is entirely on that struggle, not so much where your momentum is taking you.

well if you break it up this way...

the thing I focus on isn't the struggle, it is the intention of Boychuk during the struggle. Like I pointed out, Boychuk had more than enough time during the struggle the change his action but he didn't.

Archived