The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Down Syndrome Man Dies After Being Handcuffed

nucklehead

idiot, imbecile and moron were all once neutral terms used to label mentally challenged individuals. They started to take on a negative connotation as people began using them as insults. They were replaced by the neutral term mentally retarded. This term through common usage has in turn become an insult. The current accepted terminologies are Special, challenged or developmentally delayed. Some of these terms are in the process of becoming insults as well.

Really? It's just a word. It means slow. Slow is not an insult it's an adverb (depending on usage).Here is one definition of the word (from dictionary.com)an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle. Not insulting.

It's stupid how PCism changes social acceptabilty of alphabetically constructed units of language.

Consider these words related to the word retard  

Related Words for : retard

changeling, cretin, half-wit, idiot, imbecile

Three of them are considered socially unacceptable when applied descriptively.

Why not all five? Very arbitrary. If your child came home and said another called him a changling you'd feel a mixture of pride and confusion. Afterall Angelina Jolie was just in a movie with that title. You might even say political correctness itself is socially retarded, or contributes to it.

Really? It's just a word. It means slow. Slow is not an insult it's an adverb (depending on usage).Here is one definition of the word (from dictionary.com)an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle. Not insulting.

It's stupid how PCism changes social acceptabilty of alphabetically constructed units of language.

Consider these words related to the word retard  

Related Words for : retard

changeling, cretin, half-wit, idiot, imbecile

Three of them are considered socially unacceptable when applied descriptively.

Why not all five? Very arbitrary. If your child came home and said another called him a changling you'd feel a mixture of pride and confusion. Afterall Angelina Jolie was just in a movie with that title. You might even say political correctness itself is socially retarded, or contributes to it.

We got another one folks. Are we honestly debating whether it is okay to call someone with a disability a retard? I'm going to have to take notes in this thread so I can remember who you idiots are.

I don't think it's okay to call someone with a mental disability handicap or a black man boy. But the words handicap and boy all will agree are not "bad" words.

It would be perfectly acceptable to say a plant that doesn't get enough sun retards it's growth. Retard isn't a "bad" word it's all in the context.

You are the only one I see using words in a context to insult others - this post you have called people idiots and in another retards. So really you may want to rethink what it is you are posting, instead of pointing the fingers at these other posters you disagree with.

Why is it so offensive for me to call you and a few others in here retards assuming you are not retarded yet it was okay used in the original context I cited. Imagine how you would feel if I called you a retard and you suffered from a cognitive issue? It is not okay to describe someone with Down's Syndrome as retarded but a few of you definitely fit the description.

Actually, all connotations aside, only people with cognitive disabilities fit the denoted neutral definition of "retarded". It's offensive to them that you've weaponized the word to an insult to describe people you don't agree with or perceive to be lower than you.

Because calling ANYONE a retard to insult them is offensive regardless if I suffered from a cognitive issue or not. No one in this thread called anyone retarded or an idiot directly except for you.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that when you asked why is it offensive to call me and others here retards, that you were using that as an example and not calling me such.

Do Police get training on dealing with special needs / mentally ill people? If so, how intensive is it? You'd really think they should given the fact i'd wager the majority of their calls involve dealing with that particular population base.

Hindsight is 20/20 but obviously they should have just kept their distance and let him sort out his tantrum / try and identify his caretaker.

Also, to the people trying to defend the use of the "R" word - get over yourselves. You can put a dumb spin on anything but at the end of the day if you KNOW it offends people why are you insisting on your right to use it? Do you enjoy hurting people's feelings?

I'm saying there's certain cases where it's perfectly fine and neutral to use it. In my genetics classes as we're solving pedigrees of relevant heritable diseases, "retardation" is used often by professors and students alike. In courses where toxins and their mode of actions were studied, I had to use those words. They weren't loaded with negativity like it is here. So it's all about context. It's NOT black and white.

I'm saying there's certain cases where it's perfectly fine and neutral to use it. In my genetics classes as we're solving pedigrees of relevant heritable diseases, "retardation" is used often by professors and students alike. In courses where toxins and their mode of actions were studied, I had to use those words. They weren't loaded with negativity like it is here. So it's all about context. It's NOT black and white.

Considering you were responding to me, if you had followed the sequence of events the context was crystal clear. I asked a guy not to use the word retard when refering to the Subject in the OP and I got a retort similar to the one you just posted. Seems pretty black and white to me so you can spare me the lesson on when it is appropriate to use that word. The joke about the 300lb retarded guy is not one of them.

I'm pretty sure the man in question isn't going to get offended by him using such terminology as he is no longer with us (RIP). But you are directly talking to and communicating with people you are calling idiots and retards. There is a difference.

I don't condone what he is saying and I wouldn't have used the word in the context myself but you've taken it to a different level.

The only person calling others the R word ( retard - I will say it because you are just giving power to the word) to insult people has been Joey joe joe. I am not defending the use of any words to insult people whatsoever.

I guess you should go and try to ban webster's dictionary for putting the word in print because you are completely missing the point. The point is a word is powerless without the intent behind it. If it is used to insult (no matter the context or who is being called it) it is wrong. If it is used to describe (Lack of sun retards plant growth) it has no negativity it simply is.

The only people it offends are the ones that are being called retarded as an insult(all of us) by another(joey joe joe)... so point your aggression where it belongs... to him.

In almost every class I was in during grade school we would have one child with special needs in our class. I don't work with people with special needs but I have friends that do have special needs and I would never dream of insulting them in any way based on a condition they inherited genetically. Its not different than racism or discriminating against someone for their hair or eye colour which is completely wrong. But saying a black guy is black is not racist or someone that has blonde hair is blonde is not wrong.

Do you think I care if I offend someone who thinks it is okay to call someone with a disability a retard. I got lesson after irrelevant lesson about how the word can be used in other contexts but what was the point of those responses if not to condone its use in the original post. Do me a favour and reread the thread.

I understand how language works - but my point was that intent is irrelevant and what is important are other people's perceptions / feelings regarding a comment when it comes to "offensive" material. No amount of explaining after the fact ever 100% clears that up.

In that regard I think it's good practice to be aware and use language that is least likely to hurt anyone.

If you have a choice to refer to someone as a "person" or a "person with down's syndrome" (in the case of this article - an appropriate distinction) or a "retard/retarded person" one option is clearly less reckless than the other.

As far as referring to someone as a "black/white/asian guy" may be benign but unless it is relevant I was taught it is using the "language of racism" if not being a "racist comment" and that's pushing the danger zone.

Archived