The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

Guest Dasein

Well, consider that Luongo's confidence has be shat on continuously over the last two seasons.

Luongo still has the material to be elite. Whether he can get back to that level is another question - after all he's been through the last couple seasons. Even if he believed that he was elite (and when he did, he was), his confidence and belief in himself was whittled down over and over and over again to the point of exhaustion by fans, media and the organization itself.

If Luongo doesn't believe he's elite anymore, we are not going to see the Elite Roberto Luongo take ice in Vancouver again. The biggest thing right now is to instil in Luongo the confidence that he still can be elite, and that he's still one of the best in the game if he believes in himself - and he can only do that if the organization and the fans believe in him.

We shrink wrapped this man into a backup and now we want him to break free and be the elite goaltender that he was/can be.. If he can bounce back from this mess and be that elite goaltender again, I don't think anyone should ever question his mental strength... I don't know if there's another goalie in this league that could do that (except perhaps Tim Thomas).

Luckily, for us, I think Luongo is a competitive guy that wants to prove people wrong - and it helps our case that it is an Olympic year, which makes the stakes that much higher.

Find two things about this 'ranking' funny.

First is the 'can Luongo still do it' slant, while he's clearly every bit as reliable as 'reliable vets'.

Second, where is Schneider? As a sidenote to 'reliable vet' Brodeur? Not even 'on the rise'...

Meh. Don't think much of this guy's perspective.

Idiot, brodeurs stats have been declining and he will retire next year why else do you think they gave up 9th pick for Schneider. The media n fans think canucks got robbed in the trade. Does that sound like a side note to you???

Only goalies I would want in my net over Lu is Lundqvist or Quick. Other than that no one could replace Luo... Schneider has proved nothing and that's why he was traded to once again be a back-up behind a legend.

Another idiot who makes up stuff and doesn't read the news. Wtf wrong with people. That wasn't the reason why Cory was traded. Its weird how lu even knows why he couldnt be ptraded but certain dumb fans are still blind. Anyways we should, even if by no choice, all be behind Lu bc he is the canucks current number 1 goalie whether Lu likes it or not.

Find two things about this 'ranking' funny.

First is the 'can Luongo still do it' slant, while he's clearly every bit as reliable as 'reliable vets'.

Second, where is Schneider? As a sidenote to 'reliable vet' Brodeur? Not even 'on the rise'...

Meh. Don't think much of this guy's perspective.

you said it nicer than i would .. I think this guys a tool .

Another idiot who makes up stuff and doesn't read the news. Wtf wrong with people. That wasn't the reason why Cory was traded. Its weird how lu even knows why he couldnt be ptraded but certain dumb fans are still blind. Anyways we should, even if by no choice, all be behind Lu bc he is the canucks current number 1 goalie whether Lu likes it or not.

I know why Cory was traded, I understand that Luongo couldn't be moved for value. But what has Cory done to merit being placed in the top 5 best goalies in the NHL today? He is 1-4 in the play-offs and has yet to be nominated for anything. Schneids is a stud, there is no doubt, but he is not the elite goal tender that everyone here thinks he is. Cory has a lot left to prove, same with Rask, and Bob. They need to repeat last year and Schneider needs a real strong outing in the reg season and play-offs before he can be called better than Lu or even Niemi.

As for the person who says Rinne blows? You are out of your mind! Pekke Rinne is an amazing Goaltender one of the best today.

1: Lundqvist

2: Quick

3: Rinne

4: Niemi

5: Rask

6: Lehtonen

7: Bobrovsky

8 Schneider

9: Anderson

10: Backstrom

11: Smith

12: Kipper

13: Howard

14: Price

15: Crawford

16: Pavelec

17: Halak

18: Neuvirth

19: Holtby

20: Elliot

21: Nabokov

22: Luongo

All those goalies I would take over Luongo ANYDAY

What an interesting list.

I'd defintitely include Lou in the tier 2 bracket. He is as good or better than the goalies included in that bracket. Lou benefits behind a rock solid defense, on given nights, when he faces lots of shots, but on nights when the Canucks play great puck possession, watch out, because Lou sometimes sees the pucks every few minutes and that is not enough.

People are saying when he retires he'll be top-5 goalie. Look at his statistics all time and you'll understand

Lou's also playing in an era where the league is concerned about the lack of scoring all round, They want to mess with goalies handling pucks, padding size and even considering increasing the net size. Can't always compare year to year and age to age. Lou is no Roy or Brodeur for that matter.

I'd say he's still top-10 in the league, but not top-5. We'll have to see, he hasn't been starter for a while and no goalie has played 60-70 games in a couple of years which will mess with everyone's stats.

He has a lot to prove and a lot of pressure and media attention will be on him, couple that with the fact that the fans may be ready to turn on him (again) and start throwing rocks at at the drama king and that he clearly wants out of van, and we may see the continuation of Lou's demise. He hasn't shown the ability to handle pressure before and he will be living in a vice. Even Lou's own mom is probably questioning if he has anything left in the tank and if the Canucks did the right thing by moving there up and coming goalie and keeping yesterday's news with a contract from hell.

On the other hand he may pull through this, play as well as he needs to to get the trade he wants and take his spot back as a top ten goalie.

I'd take

Quick

Rask

Luongo

Rinne

Lundqvist

It's funny how all those guys are mist likely starters for their country (Rinne and rask battle will be awesome) and people think your high for picking them in a 1 game situation. Sorry guess this list should have been

Dipietro

Bryz

Nabakov

Greiss

Mason

apparently they are better choices than the above names.

Idiot, brodeurs stats have been declining and he will retire next year why else do you think they gave up 9th pick for Schneider. The media n fans think canucks got robbed in the trade. Does that sound like a side note to you???

You're the "idiot" with the reading comprehension problem who completely misunderstood my post and is too quick to throw insults like that around.

My point was "where is Schneider"? He belongs in the discussion, at the very least in the 'on the rise' category.

I'm fully aware of what he's worth and why the Devils gave up a top 10 pick for him - I'm also not pleased in the least that he was dealt.

Starting every post with "idiot" by the way, doesn't exactly distinguish you from one.

Luongo has pretty much always been (and will probably continue to be) an elite regular-season goalie.

What separates him from the truly elite and greats from the past is that aside from one season (2007), he hasn't been able to elevate his game consistently in the playoffs. This is why since 2007 he's sporting a playoff GAA of 2.75 and .909 Sv%, a far cry from his regular season averages post 2007 - 2.37 GAA, .918 Sv%.

Whatever the other factors may have been in those 5 postseasons (injuries, reffing, etc.), Luongo's game clearly regresses on average.

1: Lundqvist

2: Quick

3: Rinne

4: Niemi

5: Rask

6: Lehtonen

7: Bobrovsky

8 Schneider

9: Anderson

10: Backstrom

11: Smith

12: Kipper

13: Howard

14: Price

15: Crawford

16: Pavelec

17: Halak

18: Neuvirth

19: Holtby

20: Elliot

21: Nabokov

22: Luongo

All those goalies I would take over Luongo ANYDAY

This is a joke right? Pavelec, Halak, Kipper (is retired), Nabokov, Holtby, Neuvirth, Backstrom, Lehtonen, Elliott, even Anderson has only had 2 really good seasons..... There are so many things wrong with this. Thank God you don't do this for a living. Have you even watched these goalies play over the course of a full season? Or did you just youtube their highlights? Consistency is lacking in your entire list, as it is in your logic. Luongo may not be your goalie of choice, but this shows you're not really putting any thought into your argument, and just throwing names on a list to get a reaction. Well done.

Agree with you or not his statistics the last 2 seasons, his age, and drama have all factored into his evaluation.

Does that mean he is underrated? Possibly

If you look further than BC he isn't really considered elite, most TO and Oil fans I know shuttered at the thought of Luongo on their team.

The list just says what most are wondering, can he redeem himself?

I don't really have an issue about where he is on this list. The question is a very good one - can he still be elite? It's not one I really question, as I believe he is, and I believe he will have a great season with the re-established #1 role. He will play a lot of games, and he can skate off the ice every day knowing what his role is on the team is again; something that has been pretty ambiguous these past 2 seasons. But given the circumstances, I get why he was put where he is. AFTER this season he will reaffirm his status as one of the elite. Until then the hockey world will question him. As was to be expected.

Archived