The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you go about reporting Racism?

J529

Just tell us what happened already... Stop being so secretive. We can't help you unless you spit it all out.

If it was just racial remarks, there's nothing you can really do. If it was in a particular setting, however, there may be a course of action you can take (i.e. tell your boss, principal, etc.).

Just like there's no police to monitor for swearing, there's none to monitor racial remarks (unless they're threatening or criminally associated). My advice? Deal with it with the resources above if you think something will be done... If not applicable, get over it. Everyone takes crap from someone else from time to time... let it go. People are douchebags... If there's anything I've learned in the past little while, it's that.

Racism sucks, yes... But it's never going to be eradicated.

People making racist remarks just do not get prosecuted in Canada. Hate speech is very rarely prosecuted even though there are provisions in the Criminal Code of Canada and The Canadian Human Rights Acts to charge people. The only prosecutions I know of under the criminal code are people whos remarks were recorded and made to reporters or on television programs. The only prosecutions I know of under the Human Rights Acts have been comments on websites or internet forums. Even then theres only been a handful altogether with some successfully defended on freedom of speech/religion grounds.

So basically if some stranger makes those remarks to you theres not too much you can do about it. You should kind of feel sorry for them. They are sad little people.

If the foot was on the other show and the comment was made towards said person, do you think they would not complain about it? Seen on TV, countless times of stories about racist. It's ignorant and easy to say get over it. If you were a victim of racist, would you be saying the same thing? Sure. Some people can be idiots and say stupid things, but they should be held be accountable and not allowed to get away with it because they will do it again.

Like others have said OP stop beating around the bush and give us some more details. I don't even know if it's school related or what cause you say it's not work related so where would you go that you see this person every single day? Assuming that this person is someone that you and other people know is to videotape the incident(s) discreetly and post it to your facebook or youtube with a name and location of where he works / goes to school etc. Then make people watch it and bam you win.

Let me clarify a few things up:

Reason I haven't given much in the way of details is I have reason to believe the person may visit the forums. Thus, if they infact do and see this thread, that certainly won't help matters.

It's not work or school related.

Going to let things play out and see if anything further comes of it. I certainly don't want to add fuel to the fire.

Some of the responses in here really have me questioning why I even bothered to ask advice. I'm not surprised by how some of you act.

Archived