The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

balance through the D core

CanuckleHead1092

One of the main issues with our defence last year was that we had left handed defenceman (Edler garrison) playing on their offside. This was detrimental to offence as well as defence. I remember during last season it was brought up that Edler was having a had time playing right defence as well as garrison that's why we saw the Edler / Tanev or the Edler /Bieksa pairing. I believe this is why Edler had a bad season last year along with his back nagging him. Next season we will have 3 lefties and 3 righties with the signing of Weber. I'm hoping management saw a little bit of what Ehrhoff brought out in Edler during the 2010 season. Anybody know what Yannick Weber is gonna bring to this team next year and what type of player he is?

How about instead of Yannik Weber we make it Shea Weber...

Trade Edler to Detroit for picks and prospects, and package a crap load of picks and prospects for Weber.

Hamhuis Weber

Garrison Bieksa

Alberts Tanev

Oh look, an actual Stanley Cup caliber first pairing.

There's no way that Nashville can afford to spend as close to the cap as they are and pay Weber 14 million. Somethings gotta give. Now's the time to acquire a real number 1 defenseman like we should have done when Niedermeyer was available all those years back.

Trade Edler to Detroit for picks and prospects, and package a crap load of picks and prospects for Weber.

Hamhuis Weber

Garrison Bieksa

Alberts Tanev

There's no way that Nashville can afford to spend as close to the cap as they are and pay Weber 14 million. Somethings gotta give. Now's the time to acquire a real number 1 defenseman like we should have done when Niedermeyer was available all those years back.

Garrison was actually quite good on the right side once he settled in and was paired with Hamhuis. I don't really want to see an Edler/Bieksa pairing, so I'd hope either Garrison can stay on the right and move back to play with Edler, or we use Edler in more offensive and PP minutes with Corrado and Garrison with Tanev.

That assumes Corrado's ready for a full year up here but we could try Weber, although he's more of an offence first guy as well so that might lead to poor defensive coverage. I'd like to see this:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Alberts/other Tanev

Alberts/other Weber

Corrado first callup

Garrison adjusted just fine by the end of the year to playing off-wing. He was arguably our best d-man playing his off side in fact.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Alberts Tanev (assuming both re-sign)

Weber (who can also double as a spare forward in a pinch)

And I'm sorry but to all the people that have Tanev in the top four over either Garrison/Edler...It's not going to happen folks. There is no chance he out plays either of them/deserves more minutes on a consistent basis. Not happening barring a trade/injuries.

Hamhuis Weber

Garrison Bieksa

Alberts Tanev

Guest Pinchin

Good post, I think certain Dmen playing on the wrong side was a huge part of our defensive issues. What I'd really like to see is Edler with Tanev (provided we sign him) to shore up Edler's defensive gaffes and let him pile up points.

If Garrison is not on the 1st PP group then something is up.

Archived