The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Group of separatists hope to create new Province of Vancouver Island

-Vintage Canuck-

Will Vancouver Island be Canada’s 11th province?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would be easier to simply become their own country. Don't really need approval from anyone to do that, just get enough people to stop paying their taxes and they will let you go soon enough.

Of course, with it's own micro version of BC's divided politics, it would never have the political will to make the decisions that would make is sucsessful economically.

I'm a mainlander and I have no problem with the idea. The Island has more people than PEI. If the Maritimes can't be bunched into one province, then there's no reason why VI should be put together with BC. Let them manage their own Island, for better or for worse, and let them pick up the tab for the ferry connection to the mainland.

A more meaningful poll question would have been "SHOULD VI be Canada's 11th province?", since almost everybody knows it's not realistically going to happen.

Phaneuf lover ;)

Come on you can't judge everyone here by what some whackos want to do... 100 signatures? I can get more than 100 signatures to end women's suffrage. The vast majority here don't want to leave BC, if anything we should expand BC by taking over all the rocky mountains owned by Alberta and let them be the prairie province they were supposed to be.

If anything we should build a bridge to the mainland and stop this ridiculous BC ferry crap. If PEI can have a bridge then so can VI.

I was joking about the comment "let 'em suffer". But yeah, a bridge would be awesome! Would cost way too much though. I'd rather spend that cost for hospitals, bridges such as the Pattullo, and schools.

A few thoughts as an Islander who has spent several years in the Lower Mainland and other parts of Canada...

First of all... not happening. While there are some different issues that are important for Vancouver Islanders that may not register for the rest of the Province (ie. the Ferry System) and vice versa (ie. Metro Vancouver Transit) I think that in general shared representation is beneficial. Also, as most Vancouverites feel a strong affinity to being British Columbians so do most Vancouver Islanders.

Secondly, while Vancouver Island is under-represented provincially compared to the Lower Mainland many Islanders outside the Victoria area similarly feel under-represented even solely in regards to Vancouver Island. I guarantee that splitting into another Province would solve nothing in this respect and could actually exacerbate the issues as those in Victoria look to develop resources in the Northern part of the island once they lose access to those available on the mainland. It is way too simple to say that we have "the resources necessary" when you must contemplate having to tap into those reserves and how communities are affected (In some cases this may actually be beneficial, but not in all). I can guarantee this "lets separate!" idea is coming from (a small number of) Victoria residents.

Thirdly, in response to the "hippie" label... you'd be surprised at how much more conservative chunks of Vancouver Island are than Vancouver. You may be grouping Vancouver Island in with smaller gulf islands but I assure you that the culture on these smaller islands is much more "unique" and less mainstream than that of Vancouver Island. I may personally be a "left-wing greenie" :P and there may actually be a Green MP on Vancouver Island but I suggest you look at our electoral history before judging everyone to be an NDPer (many of our ridings are perennial tossups between Orange and Blue).

Lastly - no bridge or tunnel is ever likely to be built. Full feasibility studies have been done and unless there is a "eureka" moment there exists no financially feasible way of installing a fixed link to the lower mainland. It is feasible to perhaps island hop with tunnels and bridges North of Campbell River but what would be the point? There are no urban centers to justify it that far North. Besides I need to keep my options open with potential employment on the ferries. ;)

Study: http://www.th.gov.bc.../fixed_link.htm

Archived