The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nathan MacKinnon to wear #29

Well maybe "weird" isn't the right word, but it does seem a little different for a forward to wear a number like 1 or 31. A goalie wearing 19 would be another example. How many goalies or forwards do you know that wear these number that you can name off the top of your head? Though it is true that there no exclusive numbers for positions, majority of numbers like 29, 30, 1 and 31 are taken by goalies.

I do agree that many non-goalies have worn number 29, but this number is still better known for goalies. On this page it shows the best players to have worn every number in the NHL, according to NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536766 . Among the players listed as the best ever to wear number 29 are Dryden, Potvin, Palmateer and Vokoun; all goalies.

Furthermore, you said “29 isn't exclusive to goalies, like 30, 1 or 31”. By this I am assuming you meant that 29 along with 30, 1 and 31 are all not exclusive to just goalies. Now in your most recent post in this topic you said “29 is not an exclusive goalie number. 1, 30 and 31 are” which is completely different from what you said before. Now you’re telling me 1, 30 and 31 are numbers only for goalies, which is contradicting your earlier post.

Archived