The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC continues to ignore West and the Canucks

Slegr

For me, it's not really the quantity of games, it's the lack of quality of the coverage that is the issue.

As for TSN, don't care for them much either, but what I do prefer is their pbp (Cuthbert and Miller are ok) and colour guys (I also like Ferraro and McGuire). They have a few Duds as well lol. What I really don't care for are their [Leafs] "Insiders". When it comes to Dreger et al prattling, I opt for the mute button, but I don't mind the actual game coverage.

Thankfully we have Don Taylor, John Shorthouse and John Garrett - who, although they have a legitimate and open kinship with the home team - SNP is a regional network after all - are nevertheless able to acknowledge the quality of the opponents, and aren't wearing blinders when the Canucks lay an egg. I've attempted many times to watch CBC coverage with my internet radio audio, but unfortunately it isn't in sync...

So tired of people that whine about this. Its not exactly rocket science, the leafs have a massive following and massive viewership numbers as do the habs to a lesser degree. All the friggin games are shown on t.v. nowadays so who really cares.

Hahaha well said. Hey OP, read #3 and stop trying to get people riled up over BS. They foot the bill and there's more hockey on tv because of it.

If the commentators bring you to tears every Saturday night, toughen up or turn the channel.

.I pay the same taxes as someone from Hull Quebec. I expect the same service. I enjoy all hockey, but I expect the same viewing chances as anyone. If "CBC" cannot supply that, then they should supply me with an alternative. Subsidized, of course. And I am sorry if I miss quoted anyone or used their posts to quote from.

I love CBC games with Hughson and also find Don Cherry entertaining, but the intermission panel is not that great. Other than that I get disappointed, especially since Saturday evenings are one of the rare times I can watch hockey games (Sportsnet is not an option and TSN plays weekday games).

Didn't Hughson used to do both Saturday games? If we get aired on CBC during the playoffs, I want Hughson.

Decades of watching leaf games go on and on while Canuck game has already started has left me not caring anything about CBC...with their Can't Be Canuck's attitude.

For a government run station that is supposed to be for all Canadians sadly Canada ends at Toronto, leaving us with not much viewing opportunity.

I can wish it was different but it is not.

Interesting comments, with very diverse opinions across the board. One of the common arguments I read is that Toronto and Montreal deserve more games because of their demographics. That's hogwash. Looking at CBC's mandate, it is a public broadcast station that is supposed to promote Canada in its entirety. Ratings and demographics belong to private companies like TSN and Sportsnet.

CBC was formed to be something different, but it has consistently failed to live up to its purpose. Some people entirely blame Bettman for the Jets leaving to Phoenix and the Nords leaving to Colorado in the 90s. I put just as much blame on CBC. Hardly any games were shown nationally with those two teams, and that was in a time when regional sports coverage was far more rare. It's CBC's role to showcase all of Canada's team to all Canadians, not just to show Toronto and Montreal to the rest of the country.

CBC has always had a huge impact on generating hockey fans (and in particular, Leaf and Habs fans from coast-to-coast). Don't forget that it's because of CBC TV rights that Toronto and Montreal convinced the NHL not to create an expansion team in Vancouver in 1967. Instead, the California Seals were born, with Vancouver having to wait three more years.

When CBC and the NHL negotiated their latest (2007) deal, which ends after this year, even NHL commissioner Gary Bettman himself realized CBC was not living up to its role, and insisted that the new deal calls for a MAXIMUM of 23 Toronto Maple Leafs games (CBC wanted more), with more dates being allocated for coverage of other Canadian teams.

In that sense, Bettman actually supported smaller market Canadian teams by ensuring more national exposure, while CBC tried hanging them out to dry, like it did with Quebec, Winnipeg, and nearly Edmonton.

The one that always gets me going is when CBC forces Van to schedule a home game at 4 p.m. instead of 7 p.m. against Toronto so the Leaf fans don't have to stay up pass their bed time. Grrr.

I totally agree with you. The same thing used to happen in the past with the Habs game but not anymore.

I don't like him but Maclean would have a job again before his severance check cashed.

I had wished he wasn't signed back 10-15 years ago when his contract was up and CBC was looking to not re-sign him but even they knew he was a talented guy who had he's feet cemented into that role in peoples homes every Saturday night. Like him or hate him he's good at what he does and he's been there forever. I still remember yelling at my TV watching him go mug it up for the camera on Mike Bullard when all that was going on.

I disagree.

He was amateur and feeble in his attempt to discredit burrows.

It was shameful and I bet he would handle it differently today.

before you go bashing CBC you may wanna realize ratings dictate which games are shown

Montreal and Toronto have a bigger fan base thus more people watching these games versus Canucks games there is no bias

Vancouver has the second largest english viewership in the country, is the #1 market west of Toronto, and the Canucks have the best ratings for the games that begin at 1900h Pacific.

Interesting comments, with very diverse opinions across the board. One of the common arguments I read is that Toronto and Montreal deserve more games because of their demographics. That's hogwash. Looking at CBC's mandate, it is a public broadcast station that is supposed to promote Canada in its entirety. Ratings and demographics belong to private companies like TSN and Sportsnet.

CBC was formed to be something different, but it has consistently failed to live up to its purpose. Some people entirely blame Bettman for the Jets leaving to Phoenix and the Nords leaving to Colorado in the 90s. I put just as much blame on CBC. Hardly any games were shown nationally with those two teams, and that was in a time when regional sports coverage was far more rare. It's CBC's role to showcase all of Canada's team to all Canadians, not just to show Toronto and Montreal to the rest of the country.

CBC has always had a huge impact on generating hockey fans (and in particular, Leaf and Habs fans from coast-to-coast). Don't forget that it's because of CBC TV rights that Toronto and Montreal convinced the NHL not to create an expansion team in Vancouver in 1967. Instead, the California Seals were born, with Vancouver having to wait three more years.

When CBC and the NHL negotiated their latest (2007) deal, which ends after this year, even NHL commissioner Gary Bettman himself realized CBC was not living up to its role, and insisted that the new deal calls for a MAXIMUM of 23 Toronto Maple Leafs games (CBC wanted more), with more dates being allocated for coverage of other Canadian teams.

In that sense, Bettman actually supported smaller market Canadian teams by ensuring more national exposure, while CBC tried hanging them out to dry, like it did with Quebec, Winnipeg, and nearly Edmonton.

Great post but I have to disagree with one aspect.

bettman didn't call for a limit on leafs games to support smaller markets. lol

He did it because the leafs wanted more games for their own regional broadcasts so that they could make more money!

Great post but I have to disagree with one aspect.

bettman didn't call for a limit on leafs games to support smaller markets. lol

He did it because the leafs wanted more games for their own regional broadcasts so that they could make more money!

You might be right about Bettman's true intentions, but the fact remains that if it wasn't for Bettman negotiating on this point, CBC would be covering a lot more Leafs games than they currently do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/03/26/hockey-night-in-canada.html

Fewer Leafs games, more other Canadian teams

Bettman said the new deal will feature fewer Toronto Maple Leafs games during the regular season, with more dates being allocated for other Canadian teams.

"The mix is not going to be what it's been in previous years," Bettman said. "We decreased the number of the Leaf games and increased the number of games of the other Canadian teams that can be made available."

The way to correct bad behavior is to point it out. Ignoring the incessant whining here won't reduce it.

Exactly, the way to correct bad behaviour is to point it out. CBC's snubbing and poor productions of Canucks hockey at taxpayers' expense is bad behaviour. Ignoring it, or in your case, DEFENDING it, is anti-Canuck.

I disagree.

He was amateur and feeble in his attempt to discredit burrows.

It was shameful and I bet he would handle it differently today.

Exactly. MacLean should have been fired on the spot. It's an absolute disgrace that my tax dollars are being spent to feed that piece of excrement.

I used to like MacLean. Now I see him for what he really is... a complete wanker. I also have a problem with HNIC starting any game involving the Leafs at a time to suit the TO fan base. When the leafs play here( Van ) its a 5pm start, total east coast bias BS. Just once I would love to see the Canucks take a stand and delay the start of a Leafs game here till 8pm due to a problem with the ice ( wink wink ). They could conveniently have a power failure or something... anything...be creative. The point I'm trying to make is this...there is an inherent advantage that we have in making an east coast team play at what would fee l like 10pm to them, when actual local time is 7pm. But that advantage is being taken away by TO cause they want to please their fans. They don't give a crap about what the west coast fans want. Its total BS and it has to stop.

Archived