The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC continues to ignore West and the Canucks

Slegr

Hey,, in case you didnt get it, my original b&*ch with the post was I and many others dont like some guy who lived in B.C. who now resides in Toronto coming here and telling us to pipe down and get a life because people dont like the fact that the CBC broadcasts are Eastern based and Toronto takes precedent over the Canucks on a national broadcast.

Quit trying to be so politically correct,, it doest work on most Canuck fans, but we get it, you are fine with the way CBC does things, money is an issue Im sure but our dollars should mean something when it comes to being fair and equatable with our sports teams..if it wasnt for sports I wouldnt even watch the swill they pump out.

Bo on the Go happens to be one the best kids show EVER.

Hey,, in case you didnt get it, my original b&*ch with the post was I and many others dont like some guy who lived in B.C. who now resides in Toronto coming here and telling us to pipe down and get a life because people dont like the fact that the CBC broadcasts are Eastern based and Toronto takes precedent over the Canucks on a national broadcast.

Yeah and I don't care that you don't like it much like you don't care that I don't like your *******.

Quit trying to be so politically correct,, it doest work on most Canuck fans, but we get it, you are fine with the way CBC does things, money is an issue Im sure but our dollars should mean something when it comes to being fair and equatable with our sports teams..if it wasnt for sports I wouldnt even watch the swill they pump out.

Jesus the punctuation. Don't type angry sir. Also I'm not being politically correct and that assertion makes no sense at all. I just understand and try to be rational instead of ridiculous. I also probably only watch CBC for sports. I've said before that I don't like the panel at all. Even if it wasn't for their obvious bias I also find them to be some of the worst hockey minds of any broadcast. You're trying to do the same thing to me lightbearer did and paint me with some brush. He/she/it just came off looking foolish. We get it you're angry. Now don't take anything that goes against your opinion as an attack. It shows insecurity in your opinion.

Jesus the punctuation. Don't type angry sir. Also I'm not being politically correct and that assertion makes no sense at all. I just understand and try to be rational instead of ridiculous. I also probably only watch CBC for sports. I've said before that I don't like the panel at all. Even if it wasn't for their obvious bias I also find them to be some of the worst hockey minds of any broadcast. You're trying to do the same thing to me lightbearer did and paint me with some brush. He/she/it just came off looking foolish. We get it you're angry. Now don't take anything that goes against your opinion as an attack. It shows insecurity in your opinion.

Now you are just trying to push your point with a holier than thou attitude and resorting to becoming the punctuation police and accusing me of typing mad..lol. Good going.

I can agree with alot of what you say,, the panel sucks and the bias is obvious , but the rest we dont agree on, was my punctuation correct?

Edit to add a question mark

I'd rather watch Canucks games on Sportsnet. I hate the play by play and color commentating CBC has. And let's not forget about the intermission crap they play. Sportsnet > CBC

I completely agree, only I would say TSN / Sportsnet is much much greater than CBC. The problem I have is that I live in Alberta, so I only get the "free" games when they are on TSN, CBC or the Nucks are in Ed / Cal. Center Ice is an option, but the OP's point is extremely valid when my taxes go towards something, I shouldn't have to pay more in order to see what I would like to see. I agree with everything he is saying but the issue comes in that we have no control over what that outdated POS network does. I am longing for the day that Sportsnet and TSN join forces ( ala the Olympics bids ) and goes to the NHL and says, " We want Saturday night hockey in Canada exclusively, here's a pile of money " If there is one thing the NHL understands its money, its doesn't get its fans, or the game really at all, but it does know money.

Now you are just trying to push your point with a holier than thou attitude and resorting to becoming the punctuation police and accusing me of typing mad..lol. Good going.

I can agree with alot of what you say,, the panel sucks and the bias is obvious , but the rest we dont agree on, was my punctuation correct?

Edit to add a question mark

One comment about it makes me the punctuation police.

I'm glad we can agree and I assure you I'm not taking anything personally here I'm simply saying that it's not as bad as some of you people make it out to be.

His opinion means more than this drivel you've written. He also happens to be right. I mean this CBC thing obviously isn't the exact reason but it's a good example as to why the west coast gets scoffed at as whiners and complainers.

I don't really have a problem with the CBC and certainly not with the number of games each team gets because it makes sense. I will say though they have the worst panel in all of hockey. They're just not watchable or entertaining or intelligent. Geet rid of that entire crew and start again. (perhaps purchase some new cameras for the broadcast as well)

The west is whiners and complainers? Did you not see the Sens complaining about May Rays shoot out move? That's more whining than you have ever heard out of anyone on the west coast. Where's the attention drawn to that? Raymond's move was oked by the league THREE years ago. Had the CBC actually shown it out east, maybe the Sens would have known that.

The west is whiners and complainers? Did you not see the Sens complaining about May Rays shoot out move? That's more whining than you have ever heard out of anyone on the west coast. Where's the attention drawn to that? Raymond's move was oked by the league THREE years ago. Had the CBC actually shown it out east, maybe the Sens would have known that.

I'm not saying it's exclusive I'm saying that's the perception.

I don't understand how CBC is "ignoring" the Canucks. The Canucks play on a Saturday 15 times this season and 13 of those games are broadcast. The two games they aren't broadcasting are afternoon games. So where's the problem? Is broadcasting 87% of the possible games really ignoring the Canucks?

I swear some people on this board actively look for crap to complain about.

Every year you get this same argument and every year someone whines that the Canucks get ignored by the eastern biased CBC.

It's all just business. The early games out draw the late games 2-1. If one late game is only generating half the viewership of the early games then why would you think it makes sense for any broadcaster to expand the later coverage and spread that viewership even thiner.

Be thankful that the West now gets a prime time game and not the 5:00pm starts of my childhood. And the Canucks were hardly ever on in those days. The CBC has actually added a ton of games for western teams over the years.

And again, no sports league or broadcaster in their right mind is cutting from an overtime game to go to an introduction/opening ceremony of a different game. I'm pretty sure there may even be legislation preventing the NFL from doing so as the outrage was huge when it has happened in the past.

And has anyone actually seen ratings for when the Leafs play? They aren't just watching the Leafs in Toronto. They are big everywhere. Their series with the Bruins was getting Stanley Cup finals numbers and trouncing the Canucks/Sharks and Senators/Canadiens. It's business. Leafs bring in big numbers and draw advertisers.

In the new contract next year does anyone actually think CTV/TSN will cater more to the west and lessen the Leafs coverage if they get HNIC? Of course they won't. The media properties that are options beyond CBC for hockey broadcasting happen to be co-majority shareholders of MLSE. People may even miss the coverage CBC gives the west.

And playing on Sportsnet all the time does nothing for ownership. They want and need the national broadcasts. No team wants to be regional all the time. And last I checked 82 Canucks games per year are broadcast locally so I still don't understand the complaints.

I don't buy into the CBC western bias conspiracy either.

I do think they have some really terrible broadcasters and analysts though (yes, Healy is one of those - and not just because of the latest comments). Guys like Ron MacLean seem to think they are the ultimate experts and at times bigger than the game. They need a shake up - change the format a bit and get rid of dinosaurs like Cherry and MacLean and get rid of the bad play by play people and analysts. Easier said than done, though, I am sure.

Every year you get this same argument and every year someone whines that the Canucks get ignored by the eastern biased CBC.

It's all just business. The early games out draw the late games 2-1. If one late game is only generating half the viewership of the early games then why would you think it makes sense for any broadcaster to expand the later coverage and spread that viewership even thiner.

Be thankful that the West now gets a prime time game and not the 5:00pm starts of my childhood. And the Canucks were hardly ever on in those days. The CBC has actually added a ton of games for western teams over the years.

And again, no sports league or broadcaster in their right mind is cutting from an overtime game to go to an introduction/opening ceremony of a different game. I'm pretty sure there may even be legislation preventing the NFL from doing so as the outrage was huge when it has happened in the past.

And has anyone actually seen ratings for when the Leafs play? They aren't just watching the Leafs in Toronto. They are big everywhere. Their series with the Bruins was getting Stanley Cup finals numbers and trouncing the Canucks/Sharks and Senators/Canadiens. It's business. Leafs bring in big numbers and draw advertisers.

In the new contract next year does anyone actually think CTV/TSN will cater more to the west and lessen the Leafs coverage if they get HNIC? Of course they won't. The media properties that are options beyond CBC for hockey broadcasting happen to be co-majority shareholders of MLSE. People may even miss the coverage CBC gives the west.

And playing on Sportsnet all the time does nothing for ownership. They want and need the national broadcasts. No team wants to be regional all the time. And last I checked 82 Canucks games per year are broadcast locally so I still don't understand the complaints.

All of your statements are true, however, CBC is a NATIONAL Television Network, for ALL of Canada and its taxpayers, not for the Toronto market only. Sportsnet and TSN, just might do as you say, however, they do have regional outlets. CBC sports is based in Toronto, that's the difference between the three networks.

The US networks showing NFL games always stay with the first game until its conclusion, then join the second game in progress. Its been that way ever since the "Heidi" Bowl fiasco that happened like 40 years ago.

No, I was referring to the Toronto-centric nature of the whole hockey broadcast, even during the west coast game, to the point of a senile octogenarian running Toronto game highlights between periods. This is a Toronto broadcast, not a Canadian broadcast, run by the publicly paid for CBC. To me, that's embarrassing. I was just wondering, what would Americans think if the NFL rights were given year after year to a network that obsessed over the NY Giants and slagged the other franchises.

I think I know the answer.

I don't buy into the CBC western bias conspiracy either.

I do think they have some really terrible broadcasters and analysts though (yes, Healy is one of those - and not just because of the latest comments). Guys like Ron MacLean seem to think they are the ultimate experts and at times bigger than the game. They need a shake up - change the format a bit and get rid of dinosaurs like Cherry and MacLean and get rid of the bad play by play people and analysts. Easier said than done, though, I am sure.

Also the play by play announcers are the pits, we get the dregs and the east gets the top ones such as Hughson,,,Mark Lee who comes across as a homer for every other team we play.

In the end this is a problem that may solve itself. When are those HNIC bidding rights up?

Also, neither side is right in this argument. People in the West have a right to be annoyed with how CBC runs things and people in the East have a 'right' to expect as much as Leafs as they can handle because of market share. There is no perfect answer here but I do like the idea of a CBC West and a CBC East if they do retain the rights to HNIC.

I think there's a bit more to all of this. For one, the time difference plays a bigger factor than people may realize ... also geography.

Most fans in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, and NFLD root for either Toronto, Montreal, Boston, the original six teams, or teams like Pittsburgh with hometown boys like Crosby from NS - or Brad Marchand same province.

Aside from the northern territories, that's half the country primarily rooting for eastern based teams (east of BC, Alberta, Manitoba anyway). So it only makes sense that HNIC would go that route and favor the east broadcasts.

Obviously the eastern games will always be on first, and there will be a natural loss of viewers once the second western game starts. This is particularly the case on the east coast. Hockey fans or not, there aren't many Maritimers/Atlantics who will stay up until 1am or 2am to watch a Canucks, Oilers or Jets game, or even stay with it on a Saturday night.

The thing is, people in eastern Canada (including east coast) have been exposed more to Montreal and Toronto and the east teams simply because of geography. Also the start times fit their lifestyle. The later it gets, it takes much more effort for easterners to watch western games ... so why would they?

So, as much as I'd like to see more Canucks games on HNIC, I get what's at play. Just the time difference alone makes it harder... and easterners will largely always want to see east based teams.

Think about half the country being largely fans of eastern based team and then you have the rest of the country segmented between three other provinces.

I grew up on the east coast. And when the Canucks were in the SCF in 2011, most people I knew were rooting for Boston. I hated it! No, I REALLY hated it!!! But I had to concede that they don't watch enough western games to care. Sucks but that's just how it is. It's really a numbers game that we can't change.

As for HNIC analysts, there should be fair representation on the panel. As professionals, they shouldn't be playing up or upon the bias that already exists naturally. That's just childish BS and only adds fuel to the fire. But I get it, it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

It does annoy me when I miss the opening of a playoff game to finish someone else's game. I'm not suggesting that we miss overtime, but is there no other option? Split screens for the duration? Delaying the game for 15 minutes? East Coast/ West Coast split broadcasts for the duration of the overlap?

It does annoy me when I miss the opening of a playoff game to finish someone else's game. I'm not suggesting that we miss overtime, but is there no other option? Split screens for the duration? Delaying the game for 15 minutes? East Coast/ West Coast split broadcasts for the duration of the overlap?

HNIC online either through your computer or Xbox (not sure about ps3)

Archived