The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack - Nightmare on Griffiths Street

Peter Gunn

Of the starting goalies in the NHL this season and based on last season's performance Luongo ranks 18th in GAA, and 22nd in save %.

It also seems apparent both Schneider and Lack have taken a similar path in becoming the Canucks back-up goalie.

Lack's last 2 full season's in minors.

2.31 .925

2.26 .926

Schneider's last 2 full season's in minors.

2.04 .928

2.28 .915

So why is it preposterous to think that Lack could also out play an aging, I don't want to be here, average starting goalie in Roberto Luongo and become the Canucks # 1 goaltender this season?

Lack being great is Luongo, Gillis and Francesco's worst nightmare.

In a few years I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. We have three pretty solid goalie prospects

The Luongo saga is far from over...It probably never will be

Luongo will be bought out after the season anyways. They jut want to burn another 6 mil off before they write the big cheque.

Lack and Eriksson will be the tandem next season. Lack emerging as a legit NHLer is exactly what Gillis is counting on.

It's different in being a backup - only pressure you have is to hold your job.

A starter - pressure is to win.

Take Schneider for example, as a "starter" last year, he was 17 wins , 13 losses (OT loss is a loss)

His last year as a backup, he was 20 wins, 9 losses.

Yet, he was supposed to be better last year, but the results are obvious.

Wait until you see Lack's stats from his first three games as a starter versus NHL caliber line-ups.

There is a HUGE difference in the shot quality he has been subject to so far. I remember Corey getting beat by shots like he was a rented Mule in his first duty as a Nucks tender.

Lack will be no different.

I like the guy, but once the season starts, it's for keeps and the pros bring stuff lack hasn't seen yet.

Wait until you see Lack's stats from his first three games as a starter versus NHL caliber line-ups.

There is a HUGE difference in the shot quality he has been subject to so far.  I remember Corey getting beat by shots like he was a rented Mule in his first duty as a Nucks tender.

Lack will be no different.

I like the guy, but once the season starts, it's for keeps and the pros bring stuff lack hasn't seen yet.

I keep bringing this up as optimism, but many people who watched the Moose play said that Lack looked better than Schneider during his stint with the Moose. Obviously, its been what 2-3 years past now, but it'll be interesting how Lack develops. Isn't he one of the only stand up goalies left, aside from Brodeur?

There's a reason why Lack was considered the Canucks top prospect last year. It's just too bad he lost a year due to injury.

I keep bringing this up as optimism, but many people who watched the Moose play said that Lack looked better than Schneider during his stint with the Moose. Obviously, its been what 2-3 years past now, but it'll be interesting how Lack develops. Isn't he one of the only stand up goalies left, aside from Brodeur?

There's a reason why Lack was considered the Canucks top prospect last year. It's just too bad he lost a year due to injury.

To be fair, the AHL is a professional league, not some beer league. If Eddie Lack was just coming out of junior, I would agree. However the skill difference between your average NHLer and AHLer isn't as large as you might think. Those guys can play.

Here's a hypothetical timeline or situation.

Luongo and Schnieder

Schnieder traded for 1st round pick

Luongo vs Lack.

Luongo or Lack traded for 1st round pick and or more

Luongo/Lack VS Eriksson

Luongo/Lack or Eriksson traded for 1st round pick and or more.

Added now there's Cannata and Corbiel (who is 6 foot 6 uber agile and has a solid glove hand) and I fail to see the problem.

The cap is only going to go up, we have a glut of solid prospects at the most important position in the game. If the worst case scenario is we can trade one or two of these three guys for first round top 10 picks and or prospects and or roster players and save cap space doing and while retaining a true #1 goalie while getting younger in that position...

Than I like where this team is headed moving forward especially as the projected bottom 20 or top 10 finishers for draft (depending on how you look at it) are those who will be in the most dire need for solid goaltending in the next 3 years.

Problem or promise?

Of the starting goalies in the NHL this season and based on last season's performance Luongo ranks 18th in GAA, and 22nd in save %.

It also seems apparent both Schneider and Lack have taken a similar path in becoming the Canucks back-up goalie.

Lack's last 2 full season's in minors.

2.31 .925

2.26 .926

Schneider's last 2 full season's in minors.

2.04 .928

2.28 .915

So why is it preposterous to think that Lack could also out play an aging, I don't want to be here, average starting goalie in Roberto Luongo and become the Canucks # 1 goaltender this season?

Lack being great is Luongo, Gillis and Francesco's worst nightmare.

It's different in being a backup - only pressure you have is to hold your job.

A starter - pressure is to win.

Take Schneider for example, as a "starter" last year, he was 17 wins , 13 losses (OT loss is a loss)

His last year as a backup, he was 20 wins, 9 losses.

Yet, he was supposed to be better last year, but the results are obvious.

Once Schneids settles in NJ, you will understand why many(involved in the business) hold him at such a high regard. Grading him solely on a very weird, awkward half season is unfair, IMO.

Still love Lu and hope he can prove all the haters wrong. He always has slow starts peeps....it's preseason FFS!!

How many games did Lack play last year? And how were his stats when he did play?

He's proven nothing at the NHL level yet and Luongo has a very long resume of what he's proven. Until Lack shows something concrete at this level there's no reason to even consider him outplaying the franchise's arguably best goalie ever.

It may be Lou's worst nightmare but I'm ok with it if that's how it works out.

Archived