The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks defensemen

Rex425

Since when are 3rd pairing d-men looked to provide offence? Weber hasn't shown enough to slot him into a 3rd pairing. Van needs a shutdown pairing with some physicality. As much as I think Corrado should be in the AHL he would start over Weber. I suspect MG signs another dman.

Based on what we have seen so far it seems clear that Torts likes have pairings with a left shot and a right shot.

It looks like Garrision and Bieksa will play together -- a very good combo. Garrison's steadiness can balance Bieksa's risk taking (as Hamhuis did for Bieksa), and Garrison's size balances the fact that Bieksa is only in the average range for size. And Garrison is the shooter.

It looks like Edler will play with Tanev -- another good combination as Edler's size and physical play can balance Tanev and Tanev's steadiness can offset the occasional Edler lapse. Edler is the shooter.

That leaves Hammer and Corrado. Corrado is improving fast at both ends of the ice and is bigger and stronger than last year. This could be an excellent pairing.

This gives the Canucks three pairings that are all of top 4 quality.

Alberts is fine as 7th man.

I am not sold on Weber. His defense is poor and he is undersized. Maybe he could play forward as he does have a good shot, good passing skills, and good puck-handling skills.

What do you think is going to be the defensemen lines of the canucks this year? I think:

Edler-Hamhuis

Garrison-bieksa

Tanev-Weber(Yannick)

Weber has impressed me this pre-season and I think weber is a guy that will surprise everyone.

:)

Corrado looks like the favourite Weber and Alberts were awful last night, and would you really pick weber over corrado just cause weber can provide "offense" for the second pp unit I'm pretty sure Hamhuis, Bieska can also do that and like torts said if you play good defense which leads to good offense corrado has outplayed weber and alberts during the preseaon

Based on what we have seen so far it seems clear that Torts likes have pairings with a left shot and a right shot.

It looks like Garrision and Bieksa will play together -- a very good combo. Garrison's steadiness can balance Bieksa's risk taking (as Hamhuis did for Bieksa), and Garrison's size balances the fact that Bieksa is only in the average range for size. And Garrison is the shooter.

It looks like Edler will play with Tanev -- another good combination as Edler's size and physical play can balance Tanev and Tanev's steadiness can offset the occasional Edler lapse. Edler is the shooter.

That leaves Hammer and Corrado. Corrado is improving fast at both ends of the ice and is bigger and stronger than last year. This could be an excellent pairing.

This gives the Canucks three pairings that are all of top 4 quality.

Alberts is fine as 7th man.

I am not sold on Weber. His defense is poor and he is undersized. Maybe he could play forward as he does have a good shot, good passing skills, and good puck-handling skills.

Corrado looks like the favourite Weber and Alberts were awful last night, and would you really pick weber over corrado just cause weber can provide "offense" for the second pp unit I'm pretty sure Hamhuis, Bieska can also do that and like torts said if you play good defense which leads to good offense corrado has outplayed weber and alberts during the preseaon

Archived