The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need Some Insight: Moving to Victoria

Jester13

James Bay is another area that is a good choice. I said Fairfield is great because it's close to the beach and park... well, James Bay is just on the other side of that park, and has the same proximity to the water. Closer to downtown, but lacks the "village-y" feel of Fairfield IMO. Lots of character and a bit cheaper, but a few more questionable characters. I would live there in a heartbeat if I didn't have a nice place in Fairfield.

The good news is, you said you're not looking for a job for a few years. Sounds about how long it might take even if you were looking.

But I do have quite a distaste for Montreal parks (as well as Montreal humidity).. especially so many of these dumb park curfews. I don't get it.

There are some good buildings at the south end of the Strip of Highrise Apartments aka Cook St Village. It is walking distance to downtown, Cook St. Village( that has a couple of small grocers, cafes and book stores), major bus routes, Beacon Hill Park, Pacific Ocean, Museum and Tourist District. Lots of golf in and around Victoria but seriously...how many students can realistically afford to golf regularly? Gay Bay and the Old People who Can't afford Oak Bay is nice too with plenty of good buildings and suites. I'd avoid the Hippies but that is just me. University Kids is an option too but places are pretty spread out if you don't own a vehicle and you are a long ways from downtown. Forget about the Westshore until you are thinking of buying a car. It has everything you need unless you don't own a vehicle. Then it is a nightmare.

oh also check out the 'Weird PseudoIndustrial Downtown' sometime once you're here. Not for living, I'm not sure if anyone actually lives there, but it's an interesting little area to walk around in. There's some unique little artisan crafting shops, and my two favorite local breweries (Driftwood and Hoyne) are right next door to one another.

oh also check out the 'Weird PseudoIndustrial Downtown' sometime once you're here. Not for living, I'm not sure if anyone actually lives there, but it's an interesting little area to walk around in. There's some unique little artisan crafting shops, and my two favorite local breweries (Driftwood and Hoyne) are right next door to one another.

Archived