The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Motorcyclist charged after video catches violent swarming of family on NYC highway

-Vintage Canuck-

His wife and child were in the vehicle with him. 50+ bikers surrounded the vehicle and were obviously very angry with him. He had to do what he thought was in the best interest of his family's safety. It's a shame that the one biker is likely facing permanent paralysis but to point the blame on anyone other then the bikers is ridiculous. They are lucky he didn't hurt more of them. Any man worth his weight in this world does everything to protect his family.

I was reading through the comment earlier on The Province facebook page. Someone posted a video of the same group from a year? earlier. You could see the group running reds, weaving in and out of cars as they were stopped at the light, driving on sidewalks, etc. A car was trying to go through a green when a bunch of the bikers surrounded the car and busted of his side mirror and they tried to punch the driver through the window. The driver had done nothing wrong. It would appear the video has now been taken down.

You could tell it was a bunch of the same group from their very distinctive helmets. These guys went out looking to "take over" the rood and cause problems. Its a shame the SUV driver wasn't carrying an arsenal of weapons and chose to use them as target practice.

His wife and child were in the vehicle with him. 50+ bikers surrounded the vehicle and were obviously very angry with him. He had to do what he thought was in the best interest of his family's safety. It's a shame that the one biker is likely facing permanent paralysis but to point the blame on anyone other then the bikers is ridiculous. They are lucky he didn't hurt more of them. Any man worth his weight in this world does everything to protect his family.

+1

So his family is more important to the SUV driver than the bikers friend who rides next to him?

One guy stops for whatever reason. Not unusual for others to stop as well. These guys arent part of a meth cartel just because they ride bikes.

What if they were Trekkie's instead?

You're on your own here, hudson. It's not unusual for others to stop, but if they were concerned with safety (including the safety of others) they would have moved to the side of the road. Instead, they stopped where they were, blocking all lanes.

In the case of the rider that was injured there were a number that specifically stopped directly and purposefully in front of the SUV to block his path. They put themselves in harms way, in front of what could potentially become a weapon as you've said yourself, and in this case the driver used it in a defensive action to protect himself and his family.

They didn't have any good intentions by doing what they did, there's no way to argue that they did after they started hitting his car. Whether he panicked or purposefully drove through the bikes when they stopped him is not the relevant point. Neither is whatever he did to precipitate it, if anything at all, since what the bikers did is by all accounts an escalation.

I'd wager that 99% of the people here that drive cars like a normal person hate bikers and the way that they feel they don't have to obey basic rules of the road.

There are plenty of good bikers and they don't deserve the hate. The opposite is true for people who drive cars and trucks, since the bad drivers shouldn't reflect on the good ones.

My brother-in-law still rides, and my brother has for years, as did my other brother-in-law when he was younger. I put the onus on anyone who drives/rides like an idiot for increasing their own risk and if they've contributed to a situation they got injured in, I have no sympathy.

I'd wager that 99% of the people here that drive cars like a normal person hate bikers and the way that they feel they don't have to obey basic rules of the road.

That's an unfair assessment. Realistically, most bikers and drivers in general obey the rules of the road. You just don't notice them doing it because there's nothing to notice.

Idiots exist within any category of motorists. You notice them more because you're likely stewing about it for 10 minutes while you're passing hundreds of other drivers who are driving safely.

like you have never seen a car stop in front of another car?

Again, that has nothing to do with your comment and my response to it.

I'll also point out that 2 cars have a lot of steel around them, bikes do not. Only a complete idiot slams on his brakes on a bike in front of an SUV, you're just asking to get run over.

This group of bikers remind me of the cyclist douche bags at critical mass. The go out of there way to screw with car drivers and ignore the rules of the road. They then cry foul when one of them gets hurt.

Again, that has nothing to do with your comment and my response to it.

I'll also point out that 2 cars have a lot of steel around them, bikes do not. Only a complete idiot slams on his brakes on a bike in front of an SUV, you're just asking to get run over.

This group of bikers remind me of the cyclist douche bags at critical mass. The go out of there way to screw with car drivers and ignore the rules of the road. They then cry foul when one of them gets hurt.

One guy stops and every one else stops. Like you choose to beat my ass doesn't mean your friends will join in,,,,,,unless your friends are mindless a-holes. Remember, no one got hurt except the bikers.

like you have never seen a car stop in front of another car?

I've seen a car stop in front of a semi, a van stop in front of a car, a truck stop in front of a bike, etc. Does that make what they did right? We're not saying the biker is stupid because he's a biker, we're saying it's stupid period - and made even more so since he runs the much larger risk of getting injured by stopping in front of a larger vehicle that clearly want's no part of him.

One guy stops and every one else stops. Like you choose to beat my ass doesn't mean your friends will join in,,,,,,unless your friends are mindless a-holes. Remember, no one got hurt except the bikers.

I'll refer to my previous post, and clearly the driver got hurt as he went to hospital as well. It wasn't as serious as the biker who was run over obviously, but that'll happen when he's not protected by a big SUV and the driver was.

Those are all points that aren't central to the argument of who's really at fault here though.

I've seen a car stop in front of a semi, a van stop in front of a car, a truck stop in front of a bike, etc. Does that make what they did right? We're not saying the biker is stupid because he's a biker, we're saying it's stupid period - and made even more so since he runs the much larger risk of getting injured by stopping in front of a larger vehicle that clearly want's no part of him.

So a driver can run over a pedestrian because that is the closest analogy?

WOW!

"A gang of bikers terrorized a dad driving with his wife and baby daughter on the West Side Highway — chasing after their SUV and then dragging the man out and beating him to a pulp in front of his horrified family, authorities said."

http://nypost.com/20...er-rams-riders/

So a driver can run over a pedestrian because that is the closest analogy?

Technically the closest analogy isn't one pedestrian. If you want to go that route, make it 50+ pedestrians surrounding the SUV (obviously not on the highway), preventing it from moving and starting to attack the SUV and the driver. That SUV becomes very little protection if the driver allows them to get into the vehicle and pull him and his family out of it. Then it's a man, woman and child against 50+ pedestrians.

But again, you're avoiding the point - and you know it.

Technically the closest analogy isn't one pedestrian. If you want to go that route, make it 50+ pedestrians surrounding the SUV (obviously not on the highway), preventing it from moving and starting to attack the SUV and the driver. That SUV becomes very little protection if the driver allows them to get into the vehicle and pull him and his family out of it. Then it's a man, woman and child against 50+ pedestrians.

But again, you're avoiding the point - and you know it.

So they are on bikes. What of it? If they were all gay does that mean that they were more likely to be one way or the other?

We all drive and see road rage every day but a biker is more vulnerable than anyone else on the road.

Archived