The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's production

Rex425

I know, right? 2 shutouts in the SCF. Takes a team to game 7 of the SCF and they only score 8 goals in the entire series. Sure, he cracks under pressure and lets the floodgates open every once in awhile, but maybe our damn team could have helped calm down some of those nerves by scoring some damn goals. Lu bails this team out a lot, but I rarely see them doing the same for him.

I'll predict an olympic gold and stanley cup for Lu. Conn Smythe winner too.

It's not carrying your team that's demanded, It's giving them a chance to win. He did not steal games 1 and 2. He was good but so was the entire team. Yes, he stole 5 hands down but was only mediocre in game seven and absolutely worse then Clouts in 3 and 6. Just not good enough.

Yes, the rest of the team had their own difficulties, but Lu was our superstar. He can't take a game off.

As for a Con Smythe? He wouldn't have won one in 2011 if we won game 7. I don't see him ever improving upon that and if a team needs to score 9 goals a game to win, that's not Con Smythe material either.

Not saying he wont be fine for us this year, but he's a Cujo or Kolzig. Not a Roy or Hasek. We'll do fine if Torts gets away from from the AV model of relying on him that much.

Bold prediction, but highly unlikely. Our team needs to score goals in order to make it back to the finals which we've had trouble doing last season. We also have to stay healthy which has been a huge problem for us. We also have a new coach Torts whose system we need to get used to. We also have the Olympics on top of the Regular Season and Playoffs. We have a lot of players needing to bounce back from last season, ie. Kesler from injury, Edler from consistency, D.Sedin from lack of goal scoring, Booth from Injury. Are we better than we were last Season? I think so. Are we a cup contender this year? I don't think so, a lot of things need to happen in order for us to be cup contenders which I don't think will all happen this season.

It is interesting to conclude though that there is a fine line between scoring goals and letting goals in. Just look back to the old days of the west coast express line and such. The Canucks scored many many goals each game but their goaltending was terrible, I found it very odd how they could never make it past the first one to two rounds of the playoffs because of the fact they scored so many goals...

So for this year, if the Canucks can find great goaltending through Luongo which I think they can and find a way to score many goals (less injuries, more contribution through all lines) I believe they will have a very good chance to go far and possibly win the Stanley Cup. Especially with a "reset" coaching change and such, Tortorella was exactly what this team needed...

GO CANUCKS GO!

Archived