The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value of / Discussion): Chris Kreider

Simple goal; find common ground and bring reclamation project, 227 lb LW/C Chris Kreider to Vancouver.

Kreider was cut by AV, has points in 4 of the last six AHL games and has been recalled for todays Red Wing game. May be a moot point, as he is rumoured to be starting on a line with Richards but lets see how that goes...

Why? Because we played 30 odd year old Pascal Pelletier as our 4th line LW last game and anything is better than Booth!. We want to get younger and bigger.

Kreider was once a prodigy, the top high school player in America. Probably he is a 3rd liner right now with speed, size and skills, with the upside to jump into 2knd line duties. IMO Torts can determine game by game whether he can offer 5 or 12 minutes of play. But even without injuries on our squad, there is more skills and raw athletic ability than what we normally ice on our 4th.

Downside; like many young PF's, the potential in their bodies is hard to teach to compete at a pro level. The training to bring out explosive energy to keep up with smaller faster players, which can be maintained over the course of the game is hard to figure out. Its not different to Kassian, or Chris Stewart. And he has to add snarl and compete to his game, but a trade (and his current situation, 1 game played this season), plus playing with guys like Higgins and Santo, could put desperation into a shift by shift outlook!

New York sulks so far and definitely need a shake up, perhaps some cap relief and some tactical moves. AV has not shown he is patient and develops such players either. A return for Kreider and a message to the team is a fair possibility?

But honestly I did not know what to propose; hence a discussion... But here are some concepts that might have legs;

- A teaser offer might be goaltender Joacim Eriksson and a conditional 3rd (2knd if Kreider plays 40 games as a Canuck or in play off's). There is uncertainty over the poor play of Lundqvist ytd, his contract demands, why Biron went sideways this year and last game they started an unheralded 26 year old rookie? A potential 2knd plus a solid goaltender option / insurance on an attractive ELC might look pretty good right now?

- Higgins and that same conditional 3rd? Higgins would waive his NTC to go home... (and AV / Higgins have great history). I would do this, even straight up Higgins and the 2knd.

- How about a package, a considerable price IMO, of Boyle and Kreider for Sestito, Higgins and their choice of Gaunce or Jensen?

- Corrado for Kreider? Corrado is better than Stralman who is starting today with Staal. Corrado and Staal would make a good looking pair from N Ontario, so correcting their defensive issues would be a great start.

What, if anything makes sense???

It would be a project prospect + a project Prospect.

Think Sauve and a 5th for Kreider. Cannata and a 3rd. That kinda thing. Kreider's got all the tools and size but is beyond inconsistent and would drive this fan base crazier than Raymond ever did.

It would be a project prospect + a project Prospect.

Think Sauve and a 5th for Kreider. Cannata and a 3rd. That kinda thing. Kreider's got all the tools and size but is beyond inconsistent and would drive this fan base crazier than Raymond ever did.

I'm watching the NYR / Wingst game right now. He's playing well.

You are undervaluing him big time.

Glen Sather knows how to trade and would kill Gillis in the deal. If a trade would happen it would most likely be Jensen and a 3rd,because Sather knows how to trade.

Kreider is closer to NHL ready plus has size so, yeah, prob worth more than Jensen.

I would do this!

Responding to Kreider for Kassian, lol, NO. Same issue, Kassian is also further ahead in connection to being ready. Plus add's intangibles to a similar upside. Value wise you would have to add a LOT to round out a deal. But MG, nor I, are really all that interested in giving up on Kassian. And we are not sitting 29th in a 30 team league needing the shakeup. My real guess is Sather hjas not given up on the season yet, so wont be trading a guy who might add to their 15 goals (yuck) for futures anyway.

I think Higgins who helps them now, plus Jensen (I prefer giving up Gaunce, but? (closer to ready and less depth in his position even if Gaunce value higher)) makes sense if they add in rental Boyle to Kreider. Chuck in a 3rd to close the deal even though Higgins > Boyle. We get big very quick and look awfully fast on the top 3 lines!

Danny / Hank / Kesler

Kreider / Santorelli / Burrows Good looking line BTW

Booth / Richardson / Kassian

Sestito/ Boyle / Welsh

Archived