The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So my friend and I had another religious discussion

yawn.3x

OKAY first off I want it to be clear. I'm going to put it in my opening too

THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD. I'm reading a lot of replies that say this is just a troll thread, etc.. it's not. We did have this conversation. Also I changed the title so it's not as misleading.

I'm legit serious this conversation really did happen. Like I said I mean no disrespect to people of various religions or beliefs and I don't want to start a huge debate. I've tried ignoring him and changing the subject. For example, when he was telling me all this about the Earth being 6,000 years old. I kept saying "my friend Kelly is really depressed I wonder what's wrong with her" on Skype he kept on bringing the topic back up over and over again.

Sorry for the misleading title, I thought it was appropriate.

I made a topic a long time ago, but it's probably gone by now, but this time my friend decided to preach to me again about the age of the Earth

friend: "Can you believe some people think the Earth is billions of years old?"

me: "well isn't it?"

friend: "no it's 6,000 years old"

me: "So dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago?"

friend: "No, around 5,000 years ago actually."

me: "What? where does it say that?"

friend: "The bible."

me: "Well how does that prove anything?"

friend: "The bible has all the proof you'll need. Science is wrong and it's funny because the bible has proved so many things about Science wrong"

*he failed to mention anything*

So at this point I wanted to get off the topic because, (no offense. everyone is entitled to their own beliefs,) it was getting really annoying. Then he goes

friend: "How was the moon made?"

me: "I think i remember in science during highschool it was a small planet that crashed into earth while it was still forming"

friend: "that's stupid. God put it there."

me: "Oh okay."

friend: "and scientists think it's moving farther away from the Earth too? that's stupid"

me: "Well the universe is still expanding"

friend: "No it's not."

So I keep trying to change the subject, but I didn't know how so then he asks me

"Do you believe in God?"

me: "I believe theres a higher power."

friend: "So you believe there is God. Maybe you should study it then or look into it more."

me: "Maybe. I just believe that it takes just as much faith to believe in the bible as it does to not believe in it."

So... I don't know what to say lol. I feel like if I say anything he'll just get mad at me. During the Chinese Dynasty wasn't that around 5,000 years ago? If dinosaurs WERE alive wouldn't they have been writing about them? Doesn't it take millions of years for Fossil fuels to be created?

I dunno.. Sorry for the rant.

P.S. I'm not trying to bash anybodies beliefs. Sorry if this post offends you if it does, I really sincerely mean no offence to you in any way.

It's funny/sad because he says look into the bible, yet has no answers. Does he know the bible at all?

Oh well

actually, I believe according to the bible there aren't actually Dinosaurs? I haven't really read the bible but when I use to go to church when I was younger, I was told by one of the guys there that dinosaurs never excited..

The word "behemoth" and "dragon" is used in the bible and people have assumed/inferred that it's in reference to Dinosaur

actually, I believe according to the bible there aren't actually Dinosaurs? I haven't really read the bible but when I use to go to church when I was younger, I was told by one of the guys there that dinosaurs never excited..

Well what were the giant bones found in the ground then? lol

Haha, I remember your old thread. This guy seems like someone I could not get along with.

He's really cool 99% of the time, but there comes a time every so often when he goes on a preaching rampage.. And I have no idea how to uhh.. have an educated discussion about it. Because everything I say get's retranslated into "The bible is LAW"

He's really cool 99% of the time, but there comes a time every so often when he goes on a preaching rampage.. And I have no idea how to uhh.. have an educated discussion about it. Because everything I say get's retranslated into "The bible is LAW"

Next time get him to actually quote scripture and what the Bible says, because if he can't than what this guy says

For every Religious person that is actually reasonably well educated about what they're talking about, there are 100 of these idiots.

Also a fun one is to ask him about Old Testament law vs the New Covenant. And honestly if he can't establish that well enough than.... it just makes me sad as a Christian than.

I made a topic a long time ago, but it's probably gone by now, but this time my friend decided to preach to me again about the age of the Earth

friend: "Can you believe some people think the Earth is billions of years old?"

me: "well isn't it?"

friend: "no it's 6,000 years old"

me: "So dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago?"

friend: "No, around 5,000 years ago actually."

me: "What? where does it say that?"

friend: "The bible."

me: "Well how does that prove anything?"

friend: "The bible has all the proof you'll need. Science is wrong and it's funny because the bible has proved so many things about Science wrong"

*he failed to mention anything*

So at this point I wanted to get off the topic because, (no offense. everyone is entitled to their own beliefs,) it was getting really annoying. Then he goes

friend: "How was the moon made?"

me: "I think i remember in science during highschool it was a small planet that crashed into earth while it was still forming"

friend: "that's stupid. God put it there."

me: "Oh okay."

friend: "and scientists think it's moving farther away from the Earth too? that's stupid"

me: "Well the universe is still expanding"

friend: "No it's not."

So I keep trying to change the subject, but I didn't know how so then he asks me

"Do you believe in God?"

me: "I believe theres a higher power."

friend: "So you believe there is God. Maybe you should study it then or look into it more."

me: "Maybe. I just believe that it takes just as much faith to believe in the bible as it does to not believe in it."

So... I don't know what to say lol. I feel like if I say anything he'll just get mad at me. During the Chinese Dynasty wasn't that around 5,000 years ago? If dinosaurs WERE alive wouldn't they have been writing about them? Doesn't it take millions of years for Fossil fuels to be created?

I dunno.. Sorry for the rant.

P.S. I'm not trying to bash anybodies beliefs. Sorry if this post offends you if it does, I really sincerely mean no offence to you in any way.

Why didn't you just slap some sense into him.

Next time get him to actually quote scripture and what the Bible says, because if he can't than what this guy says

Also a fun one is to ask him about Old Testament law vs the New Covenant. And honestly if he can't establish that well enough than.... it just makes me sad as a Christian than.

Uhhmmmmm he did talk about this one time I can't remember what he said though. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference, and I know for a fact he HATES Catholics. He like absolutely despises them. We used to play League of Legends with some friends, and a religious topic came up and they said they were both Catholic and he stopped talking to them because "just being around/listening to them made him uncomfortable."

Does that help with Old Testament law vs the New Covenant at all? Sorry I'm really uneducated in religious statements/quotes. I know when Darksiders came out (the game that has one of the 4 horsemen, War) he didn't want me to play it because it's taken from the Bible.

You've been around CDC long enough to know that if someone believes something so strongly, there's really no way to talk to them. Best case scenario, one of you gets banned.

Just be honest with him, tell him these religious talks make you uncomfortable and you'd rather talk about the Canucks, or Video games, or girls.... or whatever

Uhhmmmmm he did talk about this one time I can't remember what he said though. I'm pretty sure he knows the difference, and I know for a fact he HATES Catholics. He like absolutely despises them. We used to play League of Legends with some friends, and a religious topic came up and they said they were both Catholic and he stopped talking to them because "just being around/listening to them made him uncomfortable."

Does that help with Old Testament law vs the New Covenant at all? Sorry I'm really uneducated in religious statements/quotes. I know when Darksiders came out (the game that has one of the 4 horsemen, War) he didn't want me to play it because it's taken from the Bible.

Not really, it's a lot more convoluted than that and I don't think you want to be preached at again :P and also Christ calls us to love one another.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another - John 13:34-35

So the fact that he despises Catholics is just.... I get where he's coming from but the whole "treat others as you want to be treated" should define him/her as a christian. I have friends from all different religions/atheists/agnostics, whom I opinions and decisions I respect even though I think they're wrong. Also Darksiders isn't taken from the Bible, it's just based off the one of the four horsemen's character.

Sorry but so called "Christians" who lack biblical knowledge get me riled up.

Archived