The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So my friend and I had another religious discussion

yawn.3x

Just push your friend's arguments back at him, if he really is preaching in the manner you describe, it should be easy.

friend "Can you believe some people think the Earth is billions of years old?"

you "It is, science says so"

friend"But the bible says..."

you "Science says the bible is wrong"

friend "how can you say that?"

you "Its science, it can't be wrong"

actually, I believe according to the bible there aren't actually Dinosaurs? I haven't really read the bible but when I use to go to church when I was younger, I was told by one of the guys there that dinosaurs never excited..

I had a religous friend years ago that took his even more religous immigrant father to Drumheller. As they looked at the skeleton of a large dinosaur the father remarked, "they have a machine in the back that makes these bones". Don't ever argue with stupid, it's a losing propotion.

I've gotta commend you, I (any many others) would not have the patience to stay his friend.

I was about to say the same thing. My dentist used to grill me about my faith every time I went (like I was able to talk anyway) and took the opportunity to tell me all about converting, how God brought me to him as a patient so that he could show me how I needed to be saved. Needless to say I didn't stay with that dentist for very long.

I had a religous friend years ago that took his even more religous immigrant father to Drumheller. As they looked at the skeleton of a large dinosaur the father remarked, "they have a machine in the back that makes these bones". Don't ever argue with stupid, it's a losing propotion.

How can you classify beyond stupid? It's like when Bill Nye got boo'ed because he dared to suggest to a bunch of Texans that the moon reflects sunlight and doesn't produce it.

If someone reads the bible and takes it as black and white, they're going to look pretty dumb. If they read it and actually understand its meaning and relevance to your point, then they might actually be worth talking to about it.

There's no way I could ever be friends with a creationist, just no way. I'm not an a hole by any means, but if a creationist ever tried to debate me I would simply say, "YOU'RE DELUSIONAL!" And then walk away and go have some beer and pizza or something.

Edit: I'm glad that this thread didn't have anything to do with OP claiming a religious "encounter/experience" with Jesus or God or anything. Yikes.

For every Religious person that is actually reasonably well educated about what they're talking about, there are 100 of these idiots.

That is my main issue with religion - that and the millions upon millions of deaths because of "Religion"

My main issue with religion is the ignorance some people have blaming it for millions of deaths.

As far as the OP's message - I can't believe it's real - that is, it looks more like a joke just to rile people up.

If it is real, then your friend needs to re-read the Bible and learn what it really says.

One of my Christian friends who no longer is on CDC had a great quote (in jest) that went something like

"God put the dinosaur bones on Earth to test our faith".

Said I wouldn't comment but just want to put this out there to prevent any current or future battles against the religion topic. I do believe in God and just want to share/bump this with everyone:

Don't ever force religion upon people, it's useless. One thing I and atheists hate about religion is that it handicaps people right away. They have restrictions put on them and they can do certain things and can't do others. It stops the development of a person and is a horrible thing and I am against it.

...religion is something that if it's truly meant for you, it'll come on it's own and then you'll take the step to accept it and live it. I'm fortunate to be part of a religion where that is how it works and it's beutiful. No one gets forced, you go to the place of worship and people preach but nothing is forced. They tell stories an give lessons but again, it's not forced, it's just being recited. You can be part of the religion and not get baptized - although that is the goal to be fully part of it and following it - but initially, people are just given insight about it and it's on them to take the step whenever they feel comfortable and I believe that's the right way and approach for religion.

With that, religious guys, respect the views of atheists cause they have the right to it and atheists, respect the views of religious people cause we also have the right to it.

With that, religious guys, respect the views of atheists cause they have the right to it and atheists, respect the views of religious people cause we also have the right to it.

The main problem I have with religious fundamentalists AND atheists is the certainty with which they hold beliefs on questions that are so huge and profound.

Simple humility should make one realize that, no matter how strongly you believe in something, you might be wrong.

Unless your religion teaches you that all the others are wrong and that your views represent the only truth, and your understanding of God is the only truth and that your God is the one true God. And they all do. And if you think yours doesn't you've been misled at best and you're delsuional at worst. Your admission that baptism is the ultimate goal of adherents is all the proof I need. Once you're baptised you've been put into the harness of your religion that will now dictate how you live and your beliefs and perceptions must all be colored by you particular theological bent.

Archived