The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

My average price per bottle is around $95.  But lately I've been buying $50 that tastes just as good and in some ways smoother.

Cost doesn't always result in quality 

I oddly find Turkey to be an amazing value.

I find there is no way a $150 bottle is 3x nicer than a $50.

But usually the $150 bottle is nicer.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I oddly find Turkey to be an amazing value.

I find there is no way a $150 bottle is 3x nicer than a $50.

But usually the $150 bottle is nicer.

I'm tried Bulleit 10 year, hated it.  Tried Jim Beam Black, love it.  4 roses, Buffalo Trace.  Love it.

Some of my $80+ bourbons taste just like trace, or Sazerac or Jack Daniels.

My cavehills though....sooooo smooth.

I drank so much cheap hooch as a teen and in my 20s that I'm kind of snobby but I'm finding slumming it for flavour is paying off.

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm tried Bulleit 10 year, hated it.  Tried Jim Beam Black, love it.  4 roses, Buffalo Trace.  Love it.

Some of my $80+ bourbons taste just like trace, or Sazerac or Jack Daniels.

My cavehills though....sooooo smooth.

I drank so much cheap hooch as a teen and in my 20s that I'm kind of snobby but I'm finding slumming it for flavour is paying off.

Interesting I LOVE Bulleit 10 year. Bourbon is odd for me in that bourbon is bourbon.

Scotch on the other hand not so much.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Interesting I LOVE Bulleit 10 year. Bourbon is odd for me in that bourbon is bourbon.

Scotch on the other hand not so much.

To much cheap JB and Jamieson when I was younger.  If it's a $20 or $250 bottle it all tastes the same :(

I love my bourbon though.  When I did a tasting once in Tennessee, I found a axe with a 60% corn mash but also a 10% or so carrot mash for extra sweetness.  I'll tell ya, you couldn't taste the carrot and the colour and flavour weren't off but man it was sweet.

Like a dessert bourbon

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

Jaks liquor stores will have red spot, yellow spot, green spot and even a few bottles of blue.  Spoke to a local distribution manager on the phone today because I want yellow spot and he's stated the entire BC chain has been waiting on their delivery for months but should be here within the next 3 weeks.

Delving into Tullamore Dew, this moment..another first for this whisky-newbie. It's been a hard wk of disappointments, & there's times one needs a few drinks. Yesterday polished off a cheap bottle of bourbon with another Cdn ex-pat bud..just sitting at the park, drinkin' & yakkin'. It's civilized & reasonable..but I'm sure these freedoms are forever squandered back in God's country.

Very hard to describe this flavour(the Tull Dew), but it's fairly mellow & smooth. I'd like to try a lot more of the Irish corner, but there's not much selection at the nearby shop. May have to cycle downtown Osaka & have a look around...

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Anyone drinking the whisky tonight?

Picked up a Talisker Distillers Edition last weekend on sale. Dipping into it for the second time. Polished the first one off a little over 2 years ago, so excited to revisit it.

• Cheers 1

On 2/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, Warhippy said:

Tonight's sacrifice.  Never really delved in to any Irish whiskeys.  I'm excited

PXL_20220204_040003065.jpg

Haven't tried this one but got to do a flight when I went to Bushmills like 7 years ago.  I enjoy their whiskeys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Haven't tried this one but got to do a flight when I went to Bushmills like 7 years ago.  I enjoy their whiskeys.

To be honest...I'm not actually a fan.  I like the aftertaste but the initial is not something I'm super fond of