The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

I have some great news everyone!

Found some widow Jane, Blantons and Blantons gold at Platina Liquor in Airdrie!!

And they shipped it to me!!!!!!!

https://www.platinaliquor.com/liquor/whisky

https://www.platinaliquor.com/liquor/widow-jane-10-year-old-bourbon/1008

https://www.platinaliquor.com/liquor/blanton-s-gold-bourbon/146

https://www.platinaliquor.com/liquor/widow-jane-10-year-old-bourbon/1008

Even has a Thomas Handy Colonel Taylor small batch and more.  I LOVE this store!!

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

That Eagle Rare is good stuff. Just finished my last bottle of it. Nice to see it being re-stocked. I just picked up an Angels Envy, also quite nice.

The bourbon or the rye?

I like Angels envy but the rye is so overpried and quite meh.  but finding eagle rare in BC is so gd hard and I was excited for these!

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The bourbon or the rye?

I like Angels envy but the rye is so overpried and quite meh.  but finding eagle rare in BC is so gd hard and I was excited for these!

Bourbon. I’m not much of a Rye guy. Agreed on the pricing tho. I think I got my Eagle Rare a fair bit cheaper than the Angels Envy, and I preferred the Rare.

I’ll be looking for it next time I’m in BCL.

58 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Bourbon. I’m not much of a Rye guy. Agreed on the pricing tho. I think I got my Eagle Rare a fair bit cheaper than the Angels Envy, and I preferred the Rare.

I’ll be looking for it next time I’m in BCL.

BC Liquor created a new app, and alert system.  You set yourself up and add things to your cellar.  Any new inventory or price drops and you get the notification.

I set mine for things like eagle rare, blantons, widow Jane, old 55 etc.

hard to find bourbons.  It works like a hot damn.  I get the alert and then I check the stores it is available in.  most of them for me are in westbank or kelowna, but at that point it's just a call to say hey set one aside for me i'm on my way!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

BC Liquor created a new app, and alert system.  You set yourself up and add things to your cellar.  Any new inventory or price drops and you get the notification.

I set mine for things like eagle rare, blantons, widow Jane, old 55 etc.

hard to find bourbons.  It works like a hot damn.  I get the alert and then I check the stores it is available in.  most of them for me are in westbank or kelowna, but at that point it's just a call to say hey set one aside for me i'm on my way!

Oh beauty! I’ll have to get setup on there. That’s great to know, thanks! 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not rare but these are the result of my visiting a Costco liquor store, saved about $50 on what they'd have both cost me in BC plus the 15%

One of the few benefits of living near the Alberta border I suppose

Could contain: Advertisement, Alcohol, Beverage, Liquor, Poster, Bottle

I have a bottle of the Benromach in my cupboard. Good stuff, for the price.

If you're able to go to Costco Liquor, grab a bottle of the Kirkland Islay single malt. It is hands-down the best Scotch you can get at its price point, and it's not particularly close (only $60!).

kirkland-signature-islay-single-malt-sco

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

If you're able to go to Costco Liquor, grab a bottle of the Kirkland Islay single malt. It is hands-down the best Scotch you can get at its price point, and it's not particularly close (only $60!).

That Islay is rly good for the price. I’ve discussed it multiple times with my buddies, but I have it pegged as a Caol Ila.

I just got the Kirkland Speyside 18 yr as well, and it’s damn good too for $90.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

I was eying that ngl, they have a few things I was interested in

I just wasn't sure what I'd actually be drinking given they likely source it from someone else and sell it under their own brand

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I was eying that ngl, they have a few things I was interested in

I just wasn't sure what I'd actually be drinking given they likely source it from someone else and sell it under their own brand

I don't think I've bought a Scotch for less than $80 that I like more than the Kirkland Islay. Not sure who makes it, but at that price... Not sure I care! ::D

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Macaloney's vs. Shelter Point - is there one that stands out head and shoulders above the other, or is it like comparing iphones and oranges?

Trying to decide if it's worth my while to swing by either/both during my Vancouver Island roadtrip.

The shelter point stuff is nice, it's nice up towards the distillery too, can't speak to Macaloney's at all 

The artisanal single malt and the smoke point are lovely, they used to have a nice gin too

Gotta circle back and try more of their stuff

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Sp3nny said:

That Islay is rly good for the price. I’ve discussed it multiple times with my buddies, but I have it pegged as a Caol Ila.

I just got the Kirkland Speyside 18 yr as well, and it’s damn good too for $90.

Yeah, the Speyside is fantastic for those who like smooth, non-peaty scotches. I lean towards peat/smoke myself, but occasionally have a bottle of the Speyside for guests.

My Dad (who hates peaty stuff) loves it... Think I'll buy him a bottle next time I'm there.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, the Speyside is fantastic for those who like smooth, non-peaty scotches. I lean towards peat/smoke myself, but occasionally have a bottle of the Speyside for guests.

My Dad (who hates peaty stuff) loves it... Think I'll buy him a bottle next time I'm there.

Ya I’m a big peat guy myself. Have a whole shelf dedicated to Islay lol.

I’ve been branching out into more obscure stuff like Campbelltown, but I always come back to the peat. It’s funny how it can be such a divide with peaty scotches.

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

Ya I’m a big peat guy myself. Have a whole shelf dedicated to Islay lol.

I’ve been branching out into more obscure stuff like Campbelltown, but I always come back to the peat. It’s funny how it can be such a divide with peaty scotches.

Get Longrow for the best of both.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Get Longrow for the best of both.

Yep, I have a few Longrow on hand. I’ve been venturing into bourbon, but now that the nights are cooling off I’m cracking the peat back open. Currently enjoying a nice Kilchoman. Probably my favourite distillery.