The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Beauty.  The small batch I got from the US is going to be a staple on my shelf for as long as I'm able to drive to the states.

People crap on Four Roses but it's a solid pour

No reason to crap on Four Roses; their single barrel is consistently great value.

• Cheers 1

I picked up a few of these two weeks ago.  Delivery and logistics day for Slackwater brewing and one of our reps filled us in so we all jumped in and got a few bottles during release day.

They are almost impossible to find right now as it was a very limited run but so damned good

image.png.b9fe9fa98648f59ae9e50c676fe1ac6b.png

• 3 weeks later...

So I figured I might as well give a bit of an update on my whiskey journeys as of late. The past couple of months I've ended up really going for international whiskeys:

Morris Rutherford (Austrailia)

Stauning Kaos (Denmark)

Kavalan No. 1 (Taiwan)

Kavalan Port Cask Finish (Taiwan)

These were all EXTREMELY different whiskey from each other but I'm here for it.

The Morris is by far my favourite of the lot and probably my favourite international whiskey so far. It's a distillery on what's traditionally a winery and they really made the wine finish extremely pleasant on this. I might actually have to get another bottle of this and hide it so I can at least enjoy the 1st bottle because who know if/when I see this show up again.

The Stauning was... weird to me? It was very peated (which was very nice) and smokey but it's a blend with their 3 main whiskeys which includes a rye. The result was a whiskey from Denmark that tasted almost like a peated Canadian (the... weird part). Ironically enough, I still have some of Lot 40's limited edition where they finishted their rye in peated scotch casks. The taste test was way more similar than I thought it would be.

Kavalan No. 1 I'm still up in the air with. It's a base whiskey and a tad expensive for what you get. There's also a flavour in it I'm not fully digging. The port cask however is slowly growing on me which may be a good sign. I've heard with Kavalan it's the more expensive whiskeys that are worth it so maybe I'll find that out one day.

Edited by The Lock

On 4/12/2023 at 5:37 PM, The Lock said:

So I figured I might as well give a bit of an update on my whiskey journeys as of late. The past couple of months I've ended up really going for international whiskeys:

Morris Rutherford (Austrailia)

Stauning Kaos (Denmark)

Kavalan No. 1 (Taiwan)

Kavalan Port Cask Finish (Taiwan)

These were all EXTREMELY different whiskey from each other but I'm here for it.

The Morris is by far my favourite of the lot and probably my favourite international whiskey so far. It's a distillery on what's traditionally a winery and they really made the wine finish extremely pleasant on this. I might actually have to get another bottle of this and hide it so I can at least enjoy the 1st bottle because who know if/when I see this show up again.

The Stauning was... weird to me? It was very peated (which was very nice) and smokey but it's a blend with their 3 main whiskeys which includes a rye. The result was a whiskey from Denmark that tasted almost like a peated Canadian (the... weird part). Ironically enough, I still have some of Lot 40's limited edition where they finishted their rye in peated scotch casks. The taste test was way more similar than I thought it would be.

Kavalan No. 1 I'm still up in the air with. It's a base whiskey and a tad expensive for what you get. There's also a flavour in it I'm not fully digging. The port cask however is slowly growing on me which may be a good sign. I've heard with Kavalan it's the more expensive whiskeys that are worth it so maybe I'll find that out one day.

Solid write up

Gonna look for a morris today!

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Not whiskey but a friend bought me a bottle of Tequila when he came to the Valdy concert at my house.  Best I have tasted at $150 a bottle

Could contain: Alcohol, Beverage, Liquor, Bottle, Cosmetics, Perfume

It's tequila and rum season, I'm all in!

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

oh ya

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/macallan-81-year-old-single-malt-sells-sothebys

The Macallan 81-Year-Old Single Malt Sells for $325K at Sotheby’s

The world’s oldest single malt scotch set a record at Sotheby’s auction. Here's everything we know about The Macallan 81-Year-Old Single Malt.