The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] VAN vs DAL - 11/17/13 - 5PM

Strombone1

I've seen Grenier's name pop up many times here and people really want him to get called up from the Comets. What kind of player is he?

Well first of all he's 6'5" and can skate.

He's got some great hands too and has been playing well at both ends of the ice. Perfect bottom 6 player that could even move up at some point.

Meh, I don't usually tend to agree with these statements. Although it is a goalie's responsibility to stop shots and give his/her team a chance to win, I don't think it should be expected of them to steal games even when the team in front of them is crapping the bed. When it happens, it is awesome, but when it doesn't... You can't really blame the goalie, can you?

Fair enough, I'm just saying that the team struggling to score now is not so different from the 2007 squad. Luongo virtually carried that team through the regular season and the first round. So or isn't like he isn't capable of doing it.

What more do you want? Last game he was 1 min away from shutting out the high offense Sharks. They get a very lucky goal late, which we failed to win the face off and get the puck out.

You would like just 1 more goal at least, and you win that game 2-1. If a goalie losing a shutout late means the game is tied, you have a problem.

He's been sporting one of the leagues worst even strength SV% this entire season. He's coming off his worst yr as a NHL goaltender. He got screwed this summer by the Canucks. I have concerns - those are all legitimate concerns. It's not about 1 game.

Well first of all he's 6'5" and can skate.

He's got some great hands too and has been playing well at both ends of the ice. Perfect bottom 6 player that could even move up at some point.

Hmm, I say why not! Looks like he could make an impact and actually be a guy that Torts can trust in and roll that 4th line freely!

He's been sporting one of the leagues worst even strength SV% this entire season. He's coming off his worst yr as a NHL goaltender. He got screwed this summer by the Canucks. I have concerns - those are all legitimate concerns. It's not about 1 game.

1. He didn't get screwed by the Canucks he signed that contract too that made him untradeable

2. He is playing well i don't care for these situational stats as a whole he is having a very good season so far

3. these concerns you have are a bunch of nonsense

The team is average on paper and is playing to that level. LU has average numbers. Their record accurately reflects where they should be. The problem is, the fans have high expectations and view the team as a contender. The result...major disappointment.

I get it, and might almost agree with that statement. The goaltending position must be a solid one - one that you can depend on to keep you in the game. Where we differ, I would assume, is that I believe Luongo has been doing that. He hasn't let in any agregious lately (or not too many) and has made the saves he should make. When it comes to cross-crease passes, or shots going bar in (so called perfect shots), I always hate to see people pile on the goalie. The player did not score that goal because of the goalie. He scored because of a great pass, or a great shot, or a great screen etc. sometimes goalies can make those outstanding, game-saving saves... But I personally don't think you can depend on a goalie to make those saves. It's just not reasonable, since they usually are accompanied by a certain amount of luck.

PS - sorry about the wall of text

Ya, I'm def not a goalie expert. And I also don't like piling on the goaltender, and I'm not a Luongo hater. It's not about that. But as I documented in the post above, there are legitimate concerns about him this season. Can he find a way mentally to get over being in this town where he doesn't want to be? He's been in this league forever and has been one of the leagues best. We know he can do it, but will he? The #'s aren't in his favor despite great D (for the most part) infront of him. The team needs more.

Archived