The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We are an Elite Team who is just waiting to explode offensively

KnucckleHead

Yes they outworked their opponents, but hard work will only get you so far if you can't bury your chances. Look at the elite teams in the league's depth and compare it to the Canucks then tell me they're ELITE.

Hansen Kesler Higgins

Richardson Santo Kass

VS

CHI

2nd: Sharp-Pirri-Kane

3rd: Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg

LAK:

2nd: Carter-Richards-Toffoli

3rd: King-Stoll-Lewis

BOS:

2nd: Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson

3rd: Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

PIT:

2nd: Jokinen-Malkin-Neal

3rd: Bennett-Sutter-D'Agostini

SJS:

2nd: Hertl-Thornton-Burns

3rd: Havlat-Pavelski-Wingels

STL:

2nd:Schwartz-Roy-Stewart

3rd:Sobotka-Berglund-Tarasenko

There's not going to be an explosion of offense, this team will struggle to score and it will be worse in the playoffs especially when the only guys on the team with 20 goal capability are the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows.

I was going to flame, but man, you're right. The other teams have good 2nd lines.

We have lost too many key players to still be Elite.

Ehrhoff, Samuelsson...these guys had offense in their games. Samuelsson was great because he was able to score HIMSELF, something no one else on our team seems to be able to do regularly.

Malhotra was the BEST 3rd line centre in the league until his eye injury.

Torres is the best at what he does...screw all the haters.

We are now a few players short of elite...perhaps one GM short of elite too.

We simply do not have the players to ice a full and effective team.

Not Elite, sorry!

We have lost too many key players to still be Elite.

Ehrhoff, Samuelsson...these guys had offense in their games. Samuelsson was great because he was able to score HIMSELF, something no one else on our team seems to be able to do regularly.

Malhotra was the BEST 3rd line centre in the league until his eye injury.

Torres is the best at what he does...screw all the haters.

We are now a few players short of elite...perhaps one GM short of elite too.

We simply do not have the players to ice a full and effective team.

Not Elite, sorry!

After yesterday's game it looks like the Canucks are imploding.

I disagree. I think were an average - good team, but we're definitely not elite and we're definitely not contenders.

Sure, we have dominated puck possession and also shots on goal, but are you seeing the quality of shots? Are you seeing how we are using the puck when we have it?

The shots aren't great and we're not using the puck very well, so all those stats become meaningless very quickly. It's one thing to look at the stats and go "oh we're dominating every game, look at the shots on goal...", and its another thing to assess those shots on goal and see why the numbers are so in our favour.

This is a transition year, and possibly next year too. I think at least 1-2 of our high end prospects will make the jump next year, develop and progress, Kassian will continue to grow and improve and in 2 years time that will be our shot at the Cup. When are young star prospects have a year of two of NHL experience in them, Kassian is in his prime, our defensive core is still strong and before Kesler/Sedin/etc. age too much to where they don't have the same impact as they do now.

Right now were simply lacking the offensive power to dominate games, take control and score enough goals, and next year I think our quality prospects who make the jump won't quite be ready.

Yup definitely not contenders, just like the Pens & Wings, not contenders.

Elite? Get real.

Our leading scorer has 4 goals after 22 games. We are playing our aging "stars" 24 minutes per game just to keep from getting scored on. Our most outstanding player has been a pick-up for the summer who was expected to play in Utica. We don't have a 4th line capable of playing more than 3 minutes according to our coach. While our goaltending has been good, it is no longer "great" and the stats support that. It keeps us in games but hasn't won us any.

Our over-paid and under-whelming D core can't skate the puck up ice which would be okay if they could make great break-out passes but they can't.

The coach is already flabbergasted at how this team can come out flat considering a home-stand where they've lost 4 straight but they did. Perhaps Torts is starting to realize it isn't just the talent that is lacking in Vancouver but the character has some flaws that we have witnessed over the past 2-3 years.

Elite - no bloody way.

EDIT: Definition of elite noun

"a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group"

Elite? Get real.

Our leading scorer has 4 goals after 22 games. We are playing our aging "stars" 24 minutes per game just to keep from getting scored on. Our most outstanding player has been a pick-up for the summer who was expected to play in Utica. We don't have a 4th line capable of playing more than 3 minutes according to our coach. While our goaltending has been good, it is no longer "great" and the stats support that. It keeps us in games but hasn't won us any.

Our over-paid and under-whelming D core can't skate the puck up ice which would be okay if they could make great break-out passes but they can't.

The coach is already flabbergasted at how this team can come out flat considering a home-stand where they've lost 4 straight but they did. Perhaps Torts is starting to realize it isn't just the talent that is lacking in Vancouver but the character has some flaws that we have witnessed over the past 2-3 years.

Elite - no bloody way.

I agree with everything you just posted.

Dominated who? Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota and Colorado? We played those teams a total of 6 times each. If a team like Chicago or STL was in that division, they easily pass our point totals.

I can agree to the injuries situation, and yes, they might have even won, but I STILL wouldn't consider them elite.

I'd consider them a team with heart and determination that went all the way to win. Again, this is just my opinion.

Your argument is increasingly speculative. The actual facts prove otherwise. The team was 'elite' from 2010-2012.

With all these comments, I'd think it was March... It's November boys and girls, this is the right time of the year for this to happen..

While normally I'd agree with this new divisional system and stiffer competition the margin for error is way less than it was in prior years.

I think we'll make it but I think we will be a crossover team.

With all these comments, I'd think it was March... It's November boys and girls, this is the right time of the year for this to happen..

Didn't you post early in the year that we should all wait until the 20 game mark to pass judgment? My apologies if it wasn't you.

It isn't just the start of this season that is leading to these comments, what we are seeing is the culmination of 3 years (Since the SCF run) of a team in decline.

While this team shows signs of promise, it also continues to fail to launch on occasions and shows signs of it's fragility in melting down.

The lack of NHL caliber offensive talent is a glaring issue that has been acknowledged by the entire hockey world for 3 years and Gillis's solution is Kassian and Santorelli (who, only due to by dumb luck hasn't been too bad).

Back to the OP's thread, are you saying this team is "elite". If so, I would like to see your justification/rationale.

True, but I think there is legitimate concern that too big of a hole now cannot be overcome later.

If all the teams above them play at the same pace (unrealistic though), the Canucks will need something like 110 points to make a wildcard spot. Bring that down for reality's sake to maybe 100. That means they will need to play at over 0.600 hockey vs. the 0.565 they are playing now. That's a big but not impossible jump. If no team above them drops off, they will need to play closer to 0.650 or better.

I think this is in large part responsible for scoring issues:

1ad737586ace8b6ae24f33292b5413e7_normal.pngDimitri Filipovic ‏@DimFilipovic21m

Since the Duncan Keith elbow to the head on March 21/2012, Daniel Sedin has 19 goals on 239 shots (in 76 games). Woof.

Retweeted by CanucksArmy

It certainly is a contributing factor. So why did MG sign him to f years at $7M?!! Added to the $19M we have tied up in 4 under-performing D-men, that's $26M in cap for 5 players that are not performing anywhere near their contract. We could have the entire Oilers "kid crop" for less than that. At least we'd be scoring goals.

It certainly is a contributing factor. So why did MG sign him to f years at $7M?!! Added to the $19M we have tied up in 4 under-performing D-men, that's $26M in cap for 5 players that are not performing anywhere near their contract. We could have the entire Oilers "kid crop" for less than that. At least we'd be scoring goals.

EDIT: add Booth at $4.2M and GIllis has tied up over $30M in 6 players severely underperforming.

I've watched every game except the LA game where we were apparently beaten handily.

As for the past few games like Det, Phx, Ana, SJ, & Dallas we clearly were the better team in all of those games. We dominated pretty much every category & period but have just been snake bitten with scoring. The puck possession shots chances, etc have all been clearly in our favor but the finishing hasn't bounced our way lately.

Just a matter of time before Burrows starts scoring & the Sedins start getting the bounces as well because the chances are there.

With the depth of secondary scorers like Kesler Higgins Santorelli, Kassian, Richardson Bieksa, Edler Garrison Hammer I think we'll be just fine come playoff time. So much more hockey & from the way our boys are playing I have no doubt we will win a lot more than lose if we keep playing the way we are.

Lu is playing quite well & we have a great coaching staff to get the job done.

A proper trade or 2 will put us with the Elite of the league & I'm hoping MG can pull that off & be a great GM.

Should be just a matter of time my friends.

Yep it only counts in horse shoes...will see come playoffs ... look where chicago is and look where boston is now is it a coincedence that they still are at the top...

Archived