The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We are an Elite Team who is just waiting to explode offensively

KnucckleHead

Yes they outworked their opponents, but hard work will only get you so far if you can't bury your chances. Look at the elite teams in the league's depth and compare it to the Canucks then tell me they're ELITE.

Hansen Kesler Higgins

Richardson Santo Kass

VS

CHI

2nd: Sharp-Pirri-Kane

3rd: Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg

LAK:

2nd: Carter-Richards-Toffoli

3rd: King-Stoll-Lewis

BOS:

2nd: Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson

3rd: Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

PIT:

2nd: Jokinen-Malkin-Neal

3rd: Bennett-Sutter-D'Agostini

SJS:

2nd: Hertl-Thornton-Burns

3rd: Havlat-Pavelski-Wingels

STL:

2nd:Schwartz-Roy-Stewart

3rd:Sobotka-Berglund-Tarasenko

There's not going to be an explosion of offense, this team will struggle to score and it will be worse in the playoffs especially when the only guys on the team with 20 goal capability are the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows.

Chicago,St Louis and San Jose third lines......very impressive indeed.

Dominated who? Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota and Colorado? We played those teams a total of 6 times each. If a team like Chicago or STL was in that division, they easily pass our point totals.

I can agree to the injuries situation, and yes, they might have even won, but I STILL wouldn't consider them elite.

I'd consider them a team with heart and determination that went all the way to win. Again, this is just my opinion.

While the Canucks were 18-4-2 against Northwest Division opponents that season, they were also 12-5-3 against Central Division teams and were 13-5-2 against teams from the Pacific Division. The "weak division" thing didn't really play much of a factor in the final results. The Canucks would have been the best team in the NHL that season, no matter what division they played in (and whatever number of games they played against Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, and Colorado).

As for your suggestion that teams like Chicago or St. Louis would "easily pass our point totals" if they'd played in the Northwest: over the 2010-11 regular season, the Chicago Blackhawks only went 10-9-1 against Northwest Division opponents while the St. Louis Blues only managed a 7-10-3 record against the Northwest.

Even when you take out their games versus the Canucks, the Blackhawks were 8-7-1 while the Blues were 5-8-3 in their games played against Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, and Colorado.

Also, while Northwest teams played a total of 24 games against opponents within their division, all the other teams in the Western Conference each played 20 games against Northwest Division teams during 2010-11. So, even if the Northwest is a weak division, the actual "advantage" isn't really all that great.

And really, if the Canucks had played in the Central or the Pacific, they just would have beaten up on Columbus or Dallas a couple more times instead of Edmonton.

The 2010-11 Vancouver Canucks were a Presidents' Trophy team and they would have finished with something in the range of 110-120 points, no matter what division (or conference) they played in. The team was just that good.

Once we can make a trade or two like I originally said like Schroeder & Booth for Ott our line-up would look like this come playoffs. Hopefully MG can add another Big Defenseman as well eg. Willie Mitchell Scuderi type.at the deadline.

D.Sedin - Kesler - Burrows

Santorelli - H.Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Ott - Hansen

Archibald - Richardson - Weise

Sestito/Welsh

Edler - Garrison

Hammer - Bieska

Stanton - Tanev

Corrado/Mitchell type

Luongo - Lack

I mean come playoff time with Torts, Sully & Gully & looking at that line-up I truly believe we could compete with anybody.

This is the way I see us having the most success & being a lot tougher of a team to play against with the added size in Ott, Archie, Welsh as well as that Big D. We would be as deep & built for the playoffs like any of the other Elite teams.

Booth is on our third line not Richardson.

If Booth ever becomes that 20 goal scoring winger again we're in alot better shape:

Burrows Kesler Booth

Higgins Santo Hansen

If players play to their potential that's a solid middle 6. Unfortunately Booth is not coming around and may never. If we can replace him with a legit second line winger at some point, it's not that bad.

Yes. IF they play to their potential it's a solid middle 6 but not great.If you look at the top teams' second lines they're more of a 1B line. IMO this team needs a catalyst on that second line to match the elite teams, Kesler and Burrows are great 2 way forwards but the line still lacks a skill element.

We can certainly hang with the Elite teams,but at the end of the day,they are just that 5% better than us....which is usually the difference between winning and losing.

Precisely!! Our energy game and defensive play under Torts is keeping us in the game but the lesser offensive talent on this team is not capitalizing on chances. IN the playoffs where chances drastically drop as teams amp up their compete level, we are destined to see the same results as in the past where we are in low scoring games but the other team always seems to catch the "break". All players that make it to the NHL can score and will have periods where they contribute. The championship teams have guys that find a way to do it when it matters. The Nucks don't have that dynamic and haven't since 2011.

When you get the chances & dominate puck possession & shots against the elite of the league eg. Det, Ana, SJ, etc. I think it's just a matter of time before those disallowed goals or the Burrows handful of chances or pucks off the bar or running into a Hot goalie who played his best game ever starts t go our way. We have proven we can compete with anybody in this league just need some puck luck which will come. I'd rather start to see those bounce our way in the 2nd half of the season & especially in the playoffs. Why use all our luck now.

As far as play goes we have played extremely well with unfortunate luck & that is all it is...

Name me the Elite teams of the NHL please. My list would be in no particular order:

Boston

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Chicago

LA

Anaheim

St.Louis

These would be the top 7 but then the next 3 or 4 are:

Vancouver

Phoenix

Toronto

Minnesota

So to tell me that we are not close to the Elite is just wrong. I also mentioned clearly that we need 2 more pieces to the puzzle & that would put us to the Elite level (Top 7 in the League). Just say we could trade a Booth packaged with a young Schroeder for a Steve Ott or similiar type & add a Scuderi/Willie Mitchell type for size & strength. That would definately in my eyes put us in with the top teams no doubt. Come playoffs we would be built & ready to go.

Pretty sure you made that up unless you have a source you wanna share.

He does start off with "I believe" so...yeah.

Any who, we are an average team with above average Defence. Other then the Sedins we are 3rd liners grinding it out hoping for lucky breaks. Talented teams make their own luck.

I still think with one deadline pick up whether rental or otherwise we could pull off a LA kings like run, although not likely. I just want to see them competitive, if we lose I want to say " they went down swinging", didn't see that last year.

When you get the chances & dominate puck possession & shots against the elite of the league eg. Det, Ana, SJ, etc. I think it's just a matter of time before those disallowed goals or the Burrows handful of chances or pucks off the bar or running into a Hot goalie who played his best game ever starts t go our way. We have proven we can compete with anybody in this league just need some puck luck which will come. I'd rather start to see those bounce our way in the 2nd half of the season & especially in the playoffs. Why use all our luck now.

As far as play goes we have played extremely well with unfortunate luck & that is all it is...

Nice post!!! Well said!

Dallas has two games in hand so the Canucks can now berth in tenth place in the West.

The Canucks are in 15th place in the NHL.

Hank and Dan are elite with next to no secondary scoring supporting them,to date.

Lots of $4-$5m players on the team,though.

Need some breaks as this is a mediocre team where it counts-in the standings.

Nice post!!! Well said!

and after we win 4 or 5 in a row we are in the top 5 -10 again. Can't you see a good team just waiting to break out cause that's what I see. With the 2 trades I talk about i think we're a cup contender.

You just have to get hot at the right time just like in 1982 & 1994 or just like LA a few years ago. Most Canuck fans think we have to finish 1st in the league to win the Cup. That actually Rarely is the case. With the all around depth we just need to add some more SIZE and we will be just fine... Ott & Byfuglien would be enough to put us as favorites...

Dallas has two games in hand so the Canucks can now berth in tenth place in the West.

The Canucks are in 15th place in the NHL.

Hank and Dan are elite with next to no secondary scoring supporting them,to date.

Lots of $4-$5m players on the team,though.

Need some breaks as this is a mediocre team where it counts-in the standings.

Meant to Quote U instead...

and after we win 4 or 5 in a row we are in the top 5 -10 again. Can't you see a good team just waiting to break out cause that's what I see. With the 2 trades I talk about i think we're a cup contender.

You just have to get hot at the right time just like in 1982 & 1994 or just like LA a few years ago. Most Canuck fans think we have to finish 1st in the league to win the Cup. That actually Rarely is the case. With the all around depth we just need to add some more SIZE and we will be just fine... Ott & Byfuglien would be enough to put us as favorites..

Archived