The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Xbox One Thread

Kent.S

On 12/11/2015, 17:14:01, Tanev's Smirk said:

Agreed.

It's slow too. My fricken PS3 boots up faster than it.

My Xbox boots in mere seconds. Did you turn on quick start? It takes forever to turn on if you don't have quick start on.

From turning my console on to playing a game might be 20 seconds.

The new update has drastically changed the UI. I love it. The original UI was slow, ugly and a maze to get through.

Now everything is there. Playing around with the menus for 5-10 minutes and I know where everything is.

Backwards compatibility always confused me. Why would somebody play a pre-gen game on an Xbox one? I bought an Xbox one so I didn't have to be stuck with my 360 games. Seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd rather them work on other things. If I wanna play my 360 games, I'll use my 360.

The one single thing I don't like about the new update is the loss of the leaderboard - the last 30 days of achievement points showing you vs your friends. Just as I've had myself at over 2k points for the last two months too :lol:

I havent even played my xbox since this new update came out. It's basically a netflix machine now.

Although I hear Black Ops will be backwards compatible soon which is awesome. I love split screen zombies.

Edited by Xbox

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎15‎:‎34‎, BaerOxHitman said:

My Xbox boots in mere seconds. Did you turn on quick start? It takes forever to turn on if you don't have quick start on.

From turning my console on to playing a game might be 20 seconds.

The new update has drastically changed the UI. I love it. The original UI was slow, ugly and a maze to get through.

Now everything is there. Playing around with the menus for 5-10 minutes and I know where everything is.

Backwards compatibility always confused me. Why would somebody play a pre-gen game on an Xbox one? I bought an Xbox one so I didn't have to be stuck with my 360 games. Seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd rather them work on other things. If I wanna play my 360 games, I'll use my 360.

Good feedback. I've been a Playstation guy since the PS2. Still have my PS3 along with a bunch of games and been holding off upgrading but don't think I can hold off anymore. Up until the last few months I was set on going with the PS4. But I've also been looking at the Xbox One more closely but until recently I couldn't get past all the reviews talking about the lower resolution and FPS compared to the PS4. But now with that UI upgrade I think it looks great.

For me, the main reason I'm considering Xbox though is the cable tv pass thru and using the box as an all in one entertainment centre. I like the idea of having it always on and being able to go between tv, games, movies or apps all in the same spot. I just wish it would act as a DVR so I could record live tv (not OTA). I don't really like the thought of everytime I wanted to record a show or game, I'd have to turn my PVR, switch my tv input and set-it or watch it there.

Do you run your tv through the Xbox One and if so how's your experience been?  If you had to do it all over again, would you get the Xbox One or PS4?

Edited by MJDDawg

43 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Good feedback. I've been a Playstation guy since the PS2. Still have my PS3 along with a bunch of games and been holding off upgrading but don't think I can hold off anymore. Up until the last few months I was set on going with the PS4. But I've also been looking at the Xbox One more closely but until recently I couldn't get past all the reviews talking about the lower resolution and FPS compared to the PS4. But now with that UI upgrade I think it looks great.

For me, the main reason I'm considering Xbox though is the cable tv pass thru and using the box as an all in one entertainment centre. I like the idea of having it always on and being able to go between tv, games, movies or apps all in the same spot. I just wish it would act as a DVR so I could record live tv (not OTA). I don't really like the thought of everytime I wanted to record a show or game, I'd have to turn my PVR, switch my tv input and set-it or watch it there.

Do you run your tv through the Xbox One and if so how's your experience been?  If you had to do it all over again, would you get the Xbox One or PS4?

I have had experience with both consoles. To me the graphics debate has always been BS. I used to be a hardcore Sony fanboy. I had a fat PS3 but ended up winning my 360 in a draw. My fat PS3 eventually crapped out after years of use, so I don't have it anymore. But I never switched back. I liked the 360 better.

TBH I'd worry about what kind of TV you have, because the new consoles are so advanced.

But that's talk for another day. Just giving a back story.

I was in the same position as you and finally gave in after months of deliberation.

I ended up copping a white version Xbox one for $375 off Craigslist. The Kinect is optional. I don't have Kinect and the only difference is no voice commands.

The controller is comfortable and I prefer it to the PS4's controller. The PS4 controller plays sound which I also find very annoying (I'm not sure if there is an option to turn that off or not, but either way it did not have an effect on my decision).

The smoothness of the UI is amazing. I can go from cable TV, to netflix, to gaming without closing anything. Everything is where you left off. This is awesome because is skips any loading screens. I can come home, turn on my Xbox and in seconds I'm exactly where I paused the night before. It's amazing.

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

The Xbox one is currently going for $399 with gears of war, or you can buy a PS4 for $429 with NHL 16, so the price isn't up for much debate.

Since the update, I haven't a single complaint. If I could do it all over again, I'd stick with the XB1.

Edited by BaerOxHitman

19 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I have had experience with both consoles. To me the graphics debate has always been BS. I used to be a hardcore Sony fanboy. I had a fat PS3 but ended up winning my 360 in a draw. My fat PS3 eventually crapped out after years of use, so I don't have it anymore. But I never switched back. I liked the 360 better.

TBH I'd worry about what kind of TV you have, because the new consoles are so advanced.

But that's talk for another day. Just giving a back story.

I was in the same position as you and finally gave in after months of deliberation.

I ended up copping a white version Xbox one for $375 off Craigslist. The Kinect is optional. I don't have Kinect and the only difference is no voice commands.

The controller is comfortable and I prefer it to the PS4's controller. The PS4 controller plays sound which I also find very annoying (I'm not sure if there is an option to turn that off or not, but either way it did not have an effect on my decision).

The smoothness of the UI is amazing. I can go from cable TV, to netflix, to gaming without closing anything. Everything is where you left off. This is awesome because is skips any loading screens. I can come home, turn on my Xbox and in seconds I'm exactly where I paused the night before. It's amazing.

If you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

The Xbox one is currently going for $399 with gears of war, or you can buy a PS4 for $429 with NHL 16, so the price isn't up for much debate.

Since the update, I haven't a single complaint. If I could do it all over again, I'd stick with the XB1.

That's really good to hear.

What do you do if you want to record a Canuck game or other live sports and how have you set it up?  Like how it works?

Thanks Baer. Really good feedback.

9 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

That's really good to hear.

What do you do if you want to record a Canuck game or other live sports and how have you set it up?  Like how it works?

Thanks Baer. Really good feedback.

You would use your cable box as you normally would. Making TV go through your Xbox does not change any functionality, it just allows you to switch between TV and games without having to change inputs.

You would still use your normal remote as well, but during setup you can make it so you can also use your Xbox controller.

Edited by BaerOxHitman

9 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Is it even possible to buy these without a game I will never play?

Yes the basic Xbox package is $399, sometimes I see it on sale for $359. You can also look at buying used like I did and save yourself the tax.

2 hours ago, Tanev's Smirk said:

This latest update is even worse than the last one.

Not only is it slower it now crashes all my apps.

Haven't noticed. For me it's the opposite. Each update seems to actually be an improvement, at least from my perspective.

The Xbox 360 had one app (the guide) which worked every time.

The Xbox One ironically has a multitude of apps that, despite the console's tenure, fail to work regularly.

Achievements have lost all meaning to me because pressing the guide button to load the achievement app when one pops is a time investment that takes you straight out of the game.

I don't understand how a console who's sole purpose is to deliver games remains slower than a low end PC running steam in terms of GUI.

The current layout is the best XB1 layout they've ever had - for me, anyway. The only thing I miss is the achievements leaderboard, which I just can't find anymore. Other than that, I love the look of it, and the content appears to be better tailored to my gaming tastes too (rather than constant adverts for zombie games, which I've never bought or even watched a Twitch video of).

On November 29, 2015 at 2:57:57 AM, Caboose said:

The Xbox 360 had one app (the guide) which worked every time.

The Xbox One ironically has a multitude of apps that, despite the console's tenure, fail to work regularly.

Achievements have lost all meaning to me because pressing the guide button to load the achievement app when one pops is a time investment that takes you straight out of the game.

I don't understand how a console who's sole purpose is to deliver games remains slower than a low end PC running steam in terms of GUI.

I have to agree. For me, I'm starting to give up on the Xbox One. I didn't think Halo 5 was good. Backwards compatibility and Gears 4 are the last things I care about so I hope they're both done right. In November, I turned mine on a total of 4 times. Out of all my regular priced games, H5 and MCC have the least amount of playing time. I felt robbed.

Edited by Xbox

Theres no thread for the Witcher so I'll just post this here.

I picked up The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt the other day. My first impression was how gorgeous the graphics were. The game is stunning to look at.

Aside from that, I have absolutely no clue how this game won GOTY. I mean, it's a great game. I'm not saying I'm not enjoying it, but GOTY? Not in my opinion.

I might be presumptuous since I'm only about 10-15 hours in but there are a few key points I wanted to touch down on.

While the begining of the game explains a bit of what happened in Witcher 2, you basically cannot play this game without playing the first two, and there's no way I'm going to do that. As a newbie to the series, I find this unattractive as it makes it harder to grasp the story line. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I'm doing a particular mission. Or somebody will talk of a character from a previous game as if you know all about them even though you know nothing. It can get frustrating even with the wiki by my side.

The combat is clunky and complicated. Horse combat is almost irrelevant since I can never hit anybody and nobody can ever hit me. 90% of the time I avoid conflict all together because fighting somebody is just a hassle. X, X, X, Y, RT over and over again... Constantly rolling around... Just not for me I guess.

I also have trouble with facing my character the right way, especially on a horse. I find myself constantly walking into walls/obstacles. The game would be much more playable in first person or at least over the shoulder.

The menu is a b**** to get around. Why did they need so many tabs?

Why is there a crafting tab in my menu when I need a smith to make 90% of the stuff anyways? Levelling up takes so long that in that 10% anything you would need to craft is beyond your level anyways.

Also fast travel is almost useless since you always need to find a sign post anyways.

I could nit pick all day but here are some positives.

Timed dialogue is genius. I like how it makes you think on your feet.

I like how your horse follows a trail by just holding A.

The voice acting is great, and the characters are memorable.

Overall I'd give this game 7/10. A fan of the series would probably give it a higher score, but as somebody new to the game, it took a lot of motivation just to stay interested through the abhorrently long intro. Compared to other releases, I'm extremely surprised the game won GOTY.

I feel like if I play the game more it will only get better, but for as much hype as it had, I was actually disappointed. At least those are my first impressions.

Edited by BaerOxHitman

3 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

While the begining of the game explains a bit of what happened in Witcher 2, you basically cannot play this game without playing the first two, and there's no way I'm going to do that. As a newbie to the series, I find this unattractive as it makes it harder to grasp the story line. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I'm doing a particular mission. Or somebody will talk of a character from a previous game as if you know all about them even though you know nothing. It can get frustrating even with the wiki by my side.

That's not the game's fault...

10 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

That's not the game's fault...

Well, no, not completely. But I've played games mid-series and haven't been nearly as lost. I'm not saying it's game breaking, I'm just saying for somebody like me it's an unattractive feature.

As mentioned a wiki search can help as well. As I continue the game I will obviosuly learn a lot more and this will no longer be a problem. I'll probably write another review once I'm more into the game.

Edited by BaerOxHitman