The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

The skating is miles apart. Bertuzzi in his prime looked like an overgrown Paul Coffey on the ice. And even at Bert's age and with his back surgery and injury problems, he is still a better skater than Kassian.

you clearly have one of those looking back with stars situations going on. bertuzzi was good, but he's not what you remember, that's for sure. In fact, his biggest knock was he was lazy and floated 95% of the time, turning it on only when there was an offensive chance.

I guess no talent hacks are often drafted in the top 15? No one is making apologies or excuses for Kassian's play. He needs to be better, but he also needs to be given the chance to be better, and that means being put into better situations, situations where he can play to his strengths. I think it's terrible that JT isn't using him on the 2nd PP........it's not like that unit is lightiong it up. He's a great passer, has good vision and he can battle in front, like Kesler does on the first unit. Let him play 3rd line mins with better players and get some time on the PP to build up some confidence.

My friend, do some homework. There have been many busts drafted top 15 over the years. Many.

No doubt 2nd PP or some more ice time would help Zack's confidence. But his effectiveness is limited by his skill set. His bad skating and poor decision making doesn't make for a 1st or 2nd line player.

My friend, do some homework. There have been many busts drafted top 15 over the years. Many.

No doubt 2nd PP or some more ice time would help Zack's confidence. But his effectiveness is limited by his skill set. His bad skating and poor decision making doesn't make for a 1st or 2nd line player.

there have been many busts, but every single one of them had talent to burn, just like Kass. Pretty sure Hockey Canada agreed.

you clearly have one of those looking back with stars situations going on. bertuzzi was good, but he's not what you remember, that's for sure. In fact, his biggest knock was he was lazy and floated 95% of the time, turning it on only when there was an offensive chance.

Really? Todd Bertuzzi in his prime was the most efective power forward in the league. Lazy, yes. Did he float, way too often. But his skills could never be denied. Im sure I can find many impressive highlights on youtube of Bertuzzi over the years displaying his skating, puck handling skills, etc..

I doubt I'd find many Kassian highlights if any. Oh right, theres the smashing Gagner's jaw with his stick footage. thats kinda impressive, I guess.

Please show me then.

Link? Youtube? Something?

Please show me then.

Link? Youtube? Something?

why? It's not going to make any difference, you're mind is closed. I trust my hockey IQ and experience to assess players, not my heart. He has work to do on his consistency, but to claim he has no talent tells me more about you than about him.

why? It's not going to make any difference, you're mind is closed. I trust my hockey IQ and experience to assess players, not my heart. He has work to do on his consistency, but to claim he has no talent tells me more about you than about him.

Exactly. Cause there isnt much dazzling footage of Zack out there.

Bertuzzi on the other hand. If you are waiting for Zack to have highlights like these, you will be waitng a long time. And this is from just one season.

To everyone who acts like Kassian is completely useless and a waste of a roster spot. Perhaps everyone is just upset that he’s not hitting “your” expectation that “you’ve” put on him. From what I’ve watched this season he doesn’t look a bit out of place giving the role that’s he’s been put into. Has he made mistakes? Sure he has tell me a player that hasn’t. So to prove this I wanted to compare hits stats to other 4th line players around the league. I didn’t add hits into this as it is completely inaccurate as I’ve shown and mentioned in previous posts. Looking at other teams 4th lines around the league, how does he look out of place? He doesn’t, giving what role he’s been put into this is exactly where we should see him. After every game someone will post his game stats as a way to show how bad he is, but really what are you expecting with him on the 4th line (a goal every game?). Get real with your own expectations on him and maybe you’ll see him as a player with a high potential.

CHI

Bollig 3g 4a (+2) 9:59min, 43shots

Smith 4g 6a (+2) 11:50min, 34shots

Kruger 4g 9a (+3) 13:41min, 32shots

BOS

Paille 3g 2a (+1) 10:26min, 20shots

Campbell 2g 4a (0) 11:31min, 21shots

Caron 1g 0a (-4) 11:48min, 17shots

SJ

McCarthy 0g 0a (-4) 11:38min, 25shots

Sheppard 1g 4a (-1) 10:41min, 35shots

Desjardin 1g 5a (0) 11:50min, 39shots

COL

McLeod 2g 4a (+6) 9:05min, 21shots

Cliché 0g 4a (+2) 8:59min, 18shots

Bordeleau 3g 1a (+4) 6:03min, 7 shots (great S%)

VAN

Kassian 5g 1a (-4) 11:17min, 25shots

Sestito 2g 0a (-7) 5:33min, 10shots

Dalpe&Welsh 1g 1a (-2) 6:11min, 20shots (that’s combines stats)

Just because he hasn’t lived up to “you’re” 20 goal 1st line expectation doesn’t mean he hasn’t been effective out there. It’s even been noticed that the games he plays more are the games he stands out more (gee figure that). People need to relax let him work on his game and play. When he starts getting more ice time and giving the opportunity, watch him hit those expectations.

It's ALL about effort with Kassian... when he tries, he's a machine. Time is needed with this guy, in a few seasons I'll bet he's a beast! He's got all kinds of talent, has great hands for a big guy, can pass awesome when he's paying attention. Only guy we have that can stand in front of the net and not get pushed out... yet again, only when he wants to.

I still have great faith and still have none in many others.

I'm convinced. I will be watching for Zack Kassian's impressive 4th line skills tonight.

Kassian goal

Since you want to compare them so bad please find me a Bertuzzi highlight real when he was 23 or younger.

I can find you one, he was on the bloopers going head first into the boards on rockem sockem 7

And I have nothing against bert was an awesome player back in his day

Personal attacks. Always good when nothing else to bring to a discussion. Congrats.

karl-alzner-crybaby.gif

That's not an attack - it's called a sense of humour. I'm simply pointing out that you can't see, lack impulse control, and motor skills. Kinda similar to virtually every post you've made regarding Kassian in this thread.

Archived