The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Kassian so far has been a failure. Just too slow, and that's led to tons of turnovers, inability to get a forecheck going or anything else. So much for Torts getting through to him. The least he can do is drop 'em, but he's not even doing that.

Dissapointed? You bet. But kinda unsurprised too. We haven't had young players break out here forever now.

Kassian so far has been a failure. Just too slow, and that's led to tons of turnovers, inability to get a forecheck going or anything else. So much for Torts getting through to him. The least he can do is drop 'em, but he's not even doing that.

Dissapointed? You bet. But kinda unsurprised too. We haven't had young players break out here forever now.

I'm far more disappointed in JT and MG than I am in kassian

2 things that Kassian believers will remind you of ...

Kassian is young.

Cody Hodgson is struggling.

2 things that Kassian believers will remind you of ...

Kassian is young.

If Kassian wasn't traded for Cody would you rag on him this badly?

If you miss your Cody that's something to take out on the GM as it was never Kassians fault he was traded in the first place. Kass is cheap and on line 4 and sometimes three right now. No reason to be expecting all that much and really no reason to be atacked like he is.

This the last season Vcr can send Kassian down and getting him through waivers, (??) I think at this stage I'd rather have Archbald up with the big club. He seems to play his role better and is more reliable. Kassian would likely get a lot more ice down in Utica. He's playing 4th line minutes here in Vcr

If Kassian wasn't traded for Cody would you rag on him this badly?

If you miss your Cody that's something to take out on the GM as it was never Kassians fault he was traded in the first place. Kass is cheap and on line 4 and sometimes three right now. No reason to be expecting all that much and really no reason to be atacked like he is.

I never attacked Kassian. And I dont care about Cody.

My question is would the Kassian believers see so much upside in him if he wasnt traded for Cody?

I think if Kassian plays to his max potential, he could be a 3rd line,15- 20 goal scorer. Right now he's playing like a true 4th liner with zero upside. It's those people that believe Kassian has all the 'tools' to be a Bertuzzi like, 1st, 2nd line player who should play on the PP and play with the Sedins that need to face reality. No way will he EVER be like Bertuzzi. I'll repeat myself, Kassian is a horrible skater who has showed me nothing to believe he has any 'tools' to be a power forward in this league.

Kassian fans love to point out he's only 22 and power forwards need time to develop. Can we all agree that Jamie Benn is a power foward?

Well here's Jamie Benn's stats at the young age of 22.

71 GMS

26 Goals

37 Assists

63 Points

+15

55 PIMS

And Benn only had 7 points less the year before at the young age of 21. And Benn is a 5th round 129th overall pick.

Kassian has a lot of work to do to prove he isn't a 1st round bust.

Exactly.

The Kassian puck bunnies can't point to any significant stat to say this guy is a good player. He has the fourth worst iFenwick and iCorsi rating on the team for forwards, third worst iFenwick and iCorsi per 60.

For a big guy who finished checks, he has only managed 32 hits to date.

He isn't doing anything that any other plug couldn't do.

Those are the existing FACTS ladies. But I guess when you can't present facts to back up your hyperbole, it's best to make up and fantasize about what could be, right?

No one can point to any facts that Kassian is a good player in the NHL because there are no facts to support that he is a good player in the NHL. That does not mean he will never be a good player, and some folks refuse to jump all over a 22 year old and say he will ever be good. It's really that simple, you don't like him and others do. Lets put in a way you might get it. On the global douche scale, you do have a rating with your "ladies" and puck bunnie" comments, but compared to say, Tom Cruise you have a really low iDouche rating. That doesn't mean you can't become a huge douche like Tom Cruise, but it's likely you won't.

Oh snap. He is struggling. Just 3pts in his last 10gp while being on the top line. (Same as Moulson.)

Well that certainly makes the trade look better.

Zack played just 4mins vs. Chicago. That game seemed to be the turning point for the worse for him. So i'm wondering if he got hurt in that game or the one prior against CBJ? Or was he just benched?

It's inevitable that Cody and Zach will be compared for years to come but it's just crying over spilled milk. Support Zach or don't, cry that Cody is gone or cheer, it doesn't matter either way. People who ardently support Zach are premature while people who say he is doomed to be a bust are premature. It's fun poking the wasps nest though.

It's inevitable that Cody and Zach will be compared for years to come but it's just crying over spilled milk. Support Zach or don't, cry that Cody is gone or cheer, it doesn't matter either way. People who ardently support Zach are premature while people who say he is doomed to be a bust are premature. It's fun poking the wasps nest though.

I have my hand in it :lol:

Good post though.

I never attacked Kassian. And I dont care about Cody.

My question is would the Kassian believers see so much upside in him if he wasnt traded for Cody?

"Kassian is a horrible skater. Never seen a great shot from him. Havent seen playmaking skills from him except for maybe 2,3 times. He seems to have no hockey IQ. You have to have a seed first before you can flourish" That's not an attack?

...and no, if we didn't trade a 10th overall pick, who was a leader in junior for Kassian, a 13th overall pick, then people wouldn't have the same expectations, that is for sure. But we did, and they do. It's not far fetched.

"Kassian is a horrible skater. Never seen a great shot from him. Havent seen playmaking skills from him except for maybe 2,3 times. He seems to have no hockey IQ. You have to have a seed first before you can flourish" That's not an attack?

How is my opinion an attack? Cause you dont like it? If I said he was ugly, stupid or made fun of his hair, thats an attack. Criticizing his hockey skills is not an attack.

That was my response to the ever popular Bertuzzi-Kassian comparisons. Bertuzzi had all the skills to flourish into an elite power forward in the NHL, and he did. I'm saying Kassian doesnt have those skills to begin with.

3rd line, 15-20 goal scorer? Yes.

1st, 2nd line power forward, Bertuzzi like player? No way.

How is my opinion an attack? Cause you dont like it? If I said he was ugly, stupid or made fun of his hair, thats an attack. Criticizing his hockey skills is not an attack.

That was my response to the ever popular Bertuzzi-Kassian comparisons. Bertuzzi had all the skills to flourish into an elite power forward in the NHL, and he did. I'm saying Kassian doesnt have those skills to begin with.

Like I said, you choose your words well. It's kind of an attack though, he is not showing a lot, but he has shown some skill. He is a decent skater when he's not loafing. But hey, I want him in Utica so it's tough to argue with me on this without getting into the tired battle of semantics. He will never be like Bertuzzi in my opinion, he's not cantankerous enough. Bert is a tough comparison as well because if Nikolishin didn't jump on Bert's back and break Moore's neck, Bert would have been a vastly more productive and mean SOB of a player after the "incident".

I guess no talent hacks are often drafted in the top 15? No one is making apologies or excuses for Kassian's play. He needs to be better, but he also needs to be given the chance to be better, and that means being put into better situations, situations where he can play to his strengths. I think it's terrible that JT isn't using him on the 2nd PP........it's not like that unit is lightiong it up. He's a great passer, has good vision and he can battle in front, like Kesler does on the first unit. Let him play 3rd line mins with better players and get some time on the PP to build up some confidence.

Like I said, you choose your words well. It's kind of an attack though, he is not showing a lot, but he has shown some skill. He is a decent skater when he's not loafing. But hey, I want him in Utica so it's tough to argue with me on this without getting into the tired battle of semantics. He will never be like Bertuzzi in my opinion, he's not cantankerous enough. Bert is a tough comparison as well because if Nikolishin didn't jump on Bert's back and break Moore's neck, Bert would have been a vastly more productive and mean SOB of a player after the "incident".

The skating is miles apart. Bertuzzi in his prime looked like an overgrown Paul Coffey on the ice. And even at Bert's age and with his back surgery and injury problems, he is still a better skater than Kassian.

Archived