The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC STHS Hockey League (Season 5)

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Update

Faceoff attribute is 100% complete

I have started the Scoring attribute. This is based off the last 2 seasons played in the NHL. It also takes into account the number of games played per season

Example: 62 games and higher gets rated to a 82 game season

42-61 games played gets rated to a 74 game season

22-41 games played gets rated to a 66 game season

10-21 games played gets rated to a 57 game season

9 games and less is rated to a 33 game season

I also am taking into account if a player has played 2 or less NHL Seasons. If this is the case I am adding 10% to this seasons goal count based on the above chart. This generally affects the Scoring attribute by about 1 or 2 points

Please give me some feedback regarding the scoring attribute. Here is the link

http://www.cdcsimleague.com/File/2015%20Pre-Season/CDCSI1-Unassigned.html

I really like the way you've been doing the stats. Every thing appears to be done with a reason based of off real life stats and perfromances instead of personal opinion and NHL15. Mad props for putting all this time and work into this league and I'm excited to be a part of it. However, I have a question about the fantasy draft. I'm assuming when you draft a player, you draft him along with his current contract. Which will come into play when selecting your players because of the salary cap. And, we will be doing the draft at some point during the summer. So, if someone were to draft someone who is currently a free agent irl, how would that players conract be decided?

Update

Faceoff attribute is 100% complete

I have started the Scoring attribute. This is based off the last 2 seasons played in the NHL. It also takes into account the number of games played per season

Example: 62 games and higher gets rated to a 82 game season

42-61 games played gets rated to a 74 game season

22-41 games played gets rated to a 66 game season

10-21 games played gets rated to a 57 game season

9 games and less is rated to a 33 game season

I also am taking into account if a player has played 2 or less NHL Seasons. If this is the case I am adding 10% to this seasons goal count based on the above chart. This generally affects the Scoring attribute by about 1 or 2 points

Please give me some feedback regarding the scoring attribute. Here is the link

VC, the amount of work you're putting in for this league is something else. All the research being done in order to get everything done the right way, from extracting the data/stats to inputting it all...on behalf of everyone, we thank you! :) :)

For the scoring attribute, the structure you've put in place is foolproof. I mean it's facts and you can't really say there's a flaw cause there isn't really. The reasoning of how and why you've layed out the structure is the truth. However, I think it's a bit funny Crosby's scoring is rated 79...structurally it's correct but hockey sense, we all know Crosby is a top 10, even top 5 scorer. If you can somehow adjust that, it would polish it up a bit of you get me. Maybe do all the scoring attributes how you are and at the end look it over and tweak a few exceptions like Crosby and whoever else may be rated a bit low.

Other than that, can't say much else. From the looks, seems like only a few players will be in the high 80s/90s for scoring attribute. I think if that's the case, it'll be a good change and will emphasize the importance of getting a highly rated goal scorer. Just my imo :]

I like the stats but I think Tarasenko is a little high.

He may be a little high but for him I put a bit more emphasis on this season

This is just the 1st time through the scoring, each attribute gets 2 looks and on the second look through I will usually adjust where I see fit

VC, the amount of work you're putting in for this league is something else. All the research being done in order to get everything done the right way, from extracting the data/stats to inputting it all...on behalf of everyone, we thank you! :) :)

For the scoring attribute, the structure you've put in place is foolproof. I mean it's facts and you can't really say there's a flaw cause there isn't really. The reasoning of how and why you've layed out the structure is the truth. However, I think it's a bit funny Crosby's scoring is rated 79...structurally it's correct but hockey sense, we all know Crosby is a top 10, even top 5 scorer. If you can somehow adjust that, it would polish it up a bit of you get me. Maybe do all the scoring attributes how you are and at the end look it over and tweak a few exceptions like Crosby and whoever else may be rated a bit low.

Other than that, can't say much else. From the looks, seems like only a few players will be in the high 80s/90s for scoring attribute. I think if that's the case, it'll be a good change and will emphasize the importance of getting a highly rated goal scorer. Just my imo :]

I personally don't think Crosby is a pure goal scorer like a Stamkos or Ovechkin.

Crosby's goal production

This year: 25 goals

13/14: 36 goals

12/13: 15 Goals (on pace for about 35 goals)

11/12: 8 goals (on pace for about 29 goals)

10/11: 32 goals (on pace for about 64 goals) this was 5 years ago

Stamkos's goal production

This year: 40 goals

13/14: 25 goals (on pace for about 54 goals)

12/13: 29 goals (on pace for about 50 goals)

11/12: 60 goals

10/11: 45 goals

Ovechkin's goal production

I don't think I need to do this one as he has the most goals in the NHL since a while ago

All in all he does score a few goals but I don't think he is any better at putting the puck in the net then some of his peers in the NHL. I think he is more noted for his playmaking ability and his vision on the ice

I also don't want this to become my opinion while I am rating players

Like I said I will go through the scoring attribute once I am finished my first run and Crosby will likely be a player who moves up a bit

Here is the definition of the scoring attribute

Scoring - The higher the stat, better chance to score by normal shot or deflection. Part of decision making formula*.

* When a player has the puck, he needs to make a decision of what to do with it. There are 3 results possible: skate, pass or shot. It doesn’t matter if the player skills are at 50 or 99 for this formula. The player’s skills are compared between each other’s for this formula.

The decision is based on 5 skills:

• Skating (Primary) and Puck Handling (Limited affect) are uses to decide if the players skate.
  • Passing (Primary) and Defense (Limited affect) are uses to decide if the players pass.
  • Scoring (Primary) is uses to decide if the player shot.

So, a players with 99 in the 5 skills has the same % of chance to shot to the net that a player who has 50 in the 50 skills.

Thanks for clearing that up VC. And true Crosby is more a playmaker than a pure goal scorer. What I meant to say was he's more capable of scoring than a lot of players cause he's so talented in that category even though he doesn't score as much as Ovie/Stamkos. But yes, thanks for that. I trust you'll end up doing a fine job.

I really like the way you've been doing the stats. Every thing appears to be done with a reason based of off real life stats and perfromances instead of personal opinion and NHL15. Mad props for putting all this time and work into this league and I'm excited to be a part of it. However, I have a question about the fantasy draft. I'm assuming when you draft a player, you draft him along with his current contract. Which will come into play when selecting your players because of the salary cap. And, we will be doing the draft at some point during the summer. So, if someone were to draft someone who is currently a free agent irl, how would that players conract be decided?

In other leagues on here you can either wait and see what he will sign for in the NHL or you can try and negotiate your own contract. I'm guessing it will be the same way here.

Update

Scoring attribute for forwards is 100% complete

For this attribute I took a players scoring over the last 2 seasons and average them over a chart that I made. I also took a players career playoff goal scoring into account for the 2nd/3rd time through

Here is the link to the updated ratings and let me know what you think so far

Looks great, some weird ones but that's just cause you're looking at the two year window.

How/Are you adjusting for age? example--Gaudreau or Monahan, both young but ranked high relative to other guys who've produced at a 25-30 goal clip for many more years.

Cammeleri seems high.

This website has tons, not sure if you know about it.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-3-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html

Looks great, some weird ones but that's just cause you're looking at the two year window.

How/Are you adjusting for age? example--Gaudreau or Monahan, both young but ranked high relative to other guys who've produced at a 25-30 goal clip for many more years.

Cammeleri seems high.

This website has tons, not sure if you know about it.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-3-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html

Nice site Inane this can help me with some other attributes

Like I have mentioned I based my scoring ratings from the last 2 seasons taking into account Goals, Games Played as well as playoff goals

Doing the ratings over the last 2 seasons will produce a few abnormalities but looking at the link you provided and some of my ratings it is pretty close to what I have and again a few players may be ranked a bit high and or low

The problem with ratings especially, goals, assists is the amount of games played there needs to be some sort of scale to follow

There needs to be some sort of scale or players like Stamkos who has missed a ton of games over the past few seasons will end up with a scoring rating lower than a career 20 goal scorer

Monahan in the link you provided is ranked 29 in Goals scored over the past 2 seasons and I have him rated at 79

Of the 30th to 50th spots in your link only 4 players scoring attribute is lower than Monahan (only 1 point lower to be exact)

Monahan could be ranked a little higher but since he has only played a couple seasons he is not

Same goes for Gaudreau although he has only played 1 season so it is a little bit tougher to calculate

On some players I just wanted to see what their attribute would be if I took the last 3 or even 4 seasons into account and their attribute only changed by about 2 up or down

I have to agree I have no issues with the ratings thus far. Ovechkin is looking like a really solid #1 overall at the moment.

Update

Scoring for Forwards and Defense is 100% complete

I have started the Strength attribute and some familiar names have closed the gap on Ovechkin

The top 6 attributes for determining overall are (this may change a little before the stat of the season as I have the ability to change the overall formula)

1. Defense

2. Skating

3. Scoring

4. Puck Handling

5. Passing

6. Strength

7-16. Rest of the attributes

I have only rated 1 of these categories so overall will be changing drastically

If you are looking for a player with high checking and defensive abilities you most likely will be picking someone with high ratings in those categories it doesn't really matter what their overall is

Archived