The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders Looking for Top Pair D-man

how have you not been banned

lol it's amazing how much some people on here worship unproven prospects. No doubt Strome has some spectacular high end potential but potential is just that and may not be realized in the NHL. a PPG pace in the AHL is nice but is by no means a lock to become a superstar NHLer.

I would personally not trade Edler straight up for Strome, Edler is a Top - 4 dman on every team in this league and a Top - 2 on the islanders, under a good contract. Those players are rare to come up on the trade block and when they do teams that need their services need to overpay.

Roster Player + Prospect + Pick (Depending on the other 2 assets coming back) is what this trade would look like.

Strome could be the major piece coming back but he sure as hell wouldn't be the only piece coming for Edler (assuming Gillis likes his job that is - and of course this is under the assumption Edler would waive his NTC for the Islanders which already pretty much kills this discussion)

lol it's amazing how much some people on here worship unproven prospects. No doubt Strome has some spectacular high end potential but potential is just that and may not be realized in the NHL. a PPG pace in the AHL is nice but is by no means a lock to become a superstar NHLer.

I would personally not trade Edler straight up for Strome, Edler is a Top - 4 dman on every team in this league and a Top - 2 on the islanders, under a good contract. Those players are rare to come up on the trade block and when they do teams that need their services need to overpay.

Roster Player + Prospect + Pick (Depending on the other 2 assets coming back) is what this trade would look like.

Strome could be the major piece coming back but he sure as hell wouldn't be the only piece coming for Edler (assuming Gillis likes his job that is - and of course this is under the assumption Edler would waive his NTC for the Islanders which already pretty much kills this discussion)

people keep saying Edler is no good but in the breath say that a19 year old who had never played a pro game us with two of our best players.

This irritates me to no end. People need to understand that even with an off year Edler would be coveted

people keep saying Edler is no good but in the breath say that a19 year old who had never played a pro game us with two of our best players.

This irritates me to no end. People need to understand that even with an off year Edler would be coveted

Absolutely. Nash had been declining but was quite sought after and got a good return from the Rangers. Clarkson is a 40+ point forward but got overpaid as a UFA. There are other examples for sure, but demand isn't necessarily decreased even by bad or marginal underlying numbers, let alone a down season.

Absolutely. Nash had been declining but was quite sought after and got a good return from the Rangers. Clarkson is a 40+ point forward but got overpaid as a UFA. There are other examples for sure, but demand isn't necessarily decreased even by bad or marginal underlying numbers, let alone a down season.

Why, with the historical prices paid for simple rental D men who are top 4 players on a blue line, would Edler who is a top 2 on most eastern teams NOT be worth a top blue chip prospect AND a 1st round pick?

This is what I don't understand. This guy was picked 5th overall, he's never played an NHL game he is a ppg player in the AHL...he's worth three times what a top 2 pairing D man in the league under a solid contract is.

why?

What are people seriously thinking when they make such statements?

I have yet to have someone actually tell me why exactly they don't think edler is worth a bluechip and a 1st round pick (at the least) without using their own opinion.

I would package up Edler and Hansen for a Top 6 FWD, Top 6 D and a solid prospect/early pick. Edler himself is worth a top 6 fwd and solid prospect/early pick. Hansen is worth a solid and reliable 5/6th Dman. Santo replaces Hansen and Hansen's limited NTC doesn't kick in till next off-season. With Stanton and Tanev playing great we can move Edler.

Archived