The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis silent while Canucks need him most (Bold moves my ass)

Jamaicanice

Gillis 5 division titles, 5 playoff appearances, 2 presidents trophies, 1 GM of the year award, 1 SCF appearance.

Nill. Nil

Care to keep comparing?

You obviously understand little to nothing about hockey and it is becoming evident why so many people ignore you.

See how that sounds?

Give it a rest ,professor of your CDC opinions.

Nill did in one month what took GIllis five years.

Gillis was handed Art Ross and Hart winners and had a hard time figuring out if he should keep them.

Ottawa and Detroit

After he retired as an active player he joined the scouting staff of the Ottawa Senators as Amateur scout. He was promoted to professional scout after only 2 years. He joined the Red Wings front office in the summer of 1994 following his 3 year stint with the Ottawa Senators.

Jim Nill's duties with Detroit included directing their amateur scouting and selections at the annual NHL Entry Draft. He had also served as the general manager of the Adirondack Red Wings.

Nill continued to oversee the development of the Red Wings' prospects that are currently assigned to Detroit's main affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League, as well as those in the Canadian junior and European leagues.

In his management role with the Detroit Red Wings he has helped the team to 4 Stanley Cup Championships in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2008.

Maybe you can start comparing now, Hippy Professor.

That't not my idea of a clean transition. Sounds like letting the twins and Kes slowly die while we wait for reinforcements. A lot of mediocraty in between. It's not like Kane is much older, he helps the core now, and starts his own in the future. A guy like that takes pressure off the twins, Bo and Shink keep it on them, as they aint here yet.

I don't actually think theres a deal to be made, at least not now. Theres little we have that teams with such players want. In the past sure, Peg was screaming for a goalie and wants any offensive loss replaced.....Cody...Schnieds.... Same deal with Toronto and JVR, Philly and Voracek. Isles and Stars were/are looking for a combo of goalie/D/C. A lot of those opportunities have come and gone though.

Not all that excited about Bo becoming the next Kesler. Especially if when he becomes a goal scoring Selke winner, we strap a couple of tweeners to his hip and tell him sorry, we are looking at drafting the next Bo Horvat, so you're stuck with this middle of the pack team till you retire.

If you read it 1 year is lost.....Horvat will be in next year and Gaunce has a good chance as well that's 2 now Both of them can play center and leftwing for sure idk about rightwing forsure but we also have Kesler and Santo than play that wing and Burrows can play all 3 forward positionsso looks to me like reinforcements are on the way and Jensen may not be puling out allstar of his hat atm but I wouldent rule him out hes slowing getting the hang of NA hockey...And you also agree there is no possible trade for us to get any of these guys so why continue to say there is? And you never answered the ? on who else needs to be brought in to play with Kane and as for Kesler I would say he is more of a powerforward/sniper(to a lesser extent of guys like Brown/Lucic) his injuries have hampered that 2way game he had unfortunately but he seems like could be the best winger with the twins if can find that second line center so give him the flexibility...Not taking away from Santo but Higgins-Santo-Kassian/Hansen does not have the same bite as having Kesler on it has and if can find that(does not need to be a bigname allstar) that can fill that hole we would be better to compete this year imo

Gillis saddled his team in mediocrity for over two years - IN THE CORE OF THE WINDOW-with those two moves.

Those were the two major moves that shut the window tight.

You simply try too hard nucknit.

And wind up saying some really ridiculous things in the process.

"Saddled in mediocrity."

You sure have a penchant for dramatic overstatement.

I suppose the Canucks lost game 7 because of the Ballard deal, right?

And here all this time Gallagher was blaming it on the Neely trade.

Good,I can start calling you out without having to reply.Makes it easier so my thanks for your ignorance.

There were only three wins separating the Canucks from the Stars before the Islanders won last night.Dallas still has two games in hand.The Canucks have made the playoffs for five years.The Stars have not.Three wins separate the teams.

Nill made a huge trade,the trade of the year that significantly improved his team.

Gillis's 'boldest' move in 5.5 years has been trading Hodgson for a third line project,if you don't count throwing $20 m at a player that should have retired.

Nill-eight months on the job:

Immediately fires the coach and hires Ruff.

Drafts Nichushkin-makes the opening night roster and is playing first line minutes.

Acquires Sequin ,Peverly and Button.

Dallas has not made the playoffs for five years and yet have 47 points after 42 games.

The Canucks were a Stanley Cup contender and have made the playoffs the last five years ,have played two more games than the Stars and yet have only three more wins.

He also acquired Shawn Horcoff, gave up Eriksson, Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser (who could become an NHL ready forward with some sniping ability). The Dallas - Boston trade was a saw off, worked for BOTH teams.

There is a large risk for Dallas, too. Tyler Seguin could mature and become a solid leader for the team or his partying and immaturity could hold his career back. It has happened to players before. That's why he was available.

Dallas was not a bad team before Nill got there. I think they would have made the playoffs last year if they hadn't traded Ryder for Cole. In 2011, all they had to do was win the 82nd game of the season and they would have eliminated Chicago and finished 8th in the West for a date with the Canucks. Nill inherited a relatively good team and they are at the SAME level now that they were in terms of wins and losses as they were before he got there. They had 48 points in 48 games last season and in the seasons before had 83, 88, 95, and 89 points. They were never in Panthers or Oilers territory.

Nill also signed Gonchar who has been showing his age for 5 million dollars. Imagine if Gillis signed Gonchar to that kind of money and brought in Horcoff and his 5.5 million cap hit? That's 10.5 million in cap on Gonchar and Horcoff. Add Erik Cole at 4.5 million as well. That's 16 million in cap on three guys who are over the hill. Goligoski has 3 more years at 4.6 million. Daley has been a disaster at times and he gets 3.3 million in front of Lehtonen who makes 5.9 million in cap with a NTC and he's never won a playoff game.

Nill still has a ton of work to do.

Give it a rest ,professor of your CDC opinions.

Nill did in one month what took GIllis five years.

Gillis was handed Art Ross and Hart winners and had a hard time figuring out if he should keep them.

Ottawa and Detroit

After he retired as an active player he joined the scouting staff of the Ottawa Senators as Amateur scout. He was promoted to professional scout after only 2 years. He joined the Red Wings front office in the summer of 1994 following his 3 year stint with the Ottawa Senators.

Jim Nill's duties with Detroit included directing their amateur scouting and selections at the annual NHL Entry Draft. He had also served as the general manager of the Adirondack Red Wings.

Nill continued to oversee the development of the Red Wings' prospects that are currently assigned to Detroit's main affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League, as well as those in the Canadian junior and European leagues.

In his management role with the Detroit Red Wings he has helped the team to 4 Stanley Cup Championships in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2008.

Maybe you can start comparing now, Hippy Professor.

Maybe just maybe you can sit on your opinion and smile at the blunt wit as it....well you know.

I don't care about his past.

You are comparing him in Dallas to Gillis in vancouver

You go from Nil did this in 8 months to 5 months to citing things he's done almost 16 years ago. Are you frigging kidding?

Using his prior job history means exactly NOTHING. You like to whine complain and snivvel like a petulant child at basically everything and I for one am done talking down to a child. i have 2 girls under the age of 6 that can both.

1. Argue properly

2. understand when they're backtracking to save face

You can't. I am with Elvis, and that ignore button is getting used. Keep complaining, blow your nose into your Oilers jersey and then do us a favour and go cheer for Nill and Dallas. Thinking more than a few of us are tired of your crap.

You can't. I am with Elvis, and that ignore button is getting used. Keep complaining, blow your nose into your Oilers jersey and then do us a favour and go cheer for Nill and Dallas. Thinking more than a few of us are tired of your crap.

One less person to quote his posts? I'm good with that! :emot-parrot:

Maybe just maybe you can sit on your opinion

I don't care about his past.

Are you frigging kidding?

Using his prior job history means exactly NOTHING.

You like to whine complain and snivvel like a petulant child at basically everything and I for one am done talking down to a child.

Argue properly

tired of your crap

That's nice.Proffesor.

Now that you are officially ignorant :

Jim Nill-

10 year playing career

Four Stanley Cups

Six President's Trophies

16.5 years in a GM's position.

Amateur scout

Head Scout

Draft Day decision maker for the Red Wings and their affiliate

Nill fired the head coach and made BOLD MOVES in one month.Try to grasp facts.

Nill was also a Canuck and I followed his career.

What has Gillis done again?

Get back to wiping baby bottom crap,Professor.

You're done and not a moment too soon with the pablum drying.

That's nice.Proffesor.

Now that you are officially ignorant :

Jim Nill-

10 year playing career

Four Stanley Cups

Six President's Trophies

16.5 years in a GM's position.

Amateur scout

Head Scout

Draft Day decision maker for the Red Wings and their affiliate

Nill fired the head coach and made BOLD MOVES in one month.Try to grasp facts.

Nill was also a Canuck and I followed his career.

What has Gillis done again?

Get back to wiping baby bottom crap,Professor.

You're done and not a moment too soon with the pablum drying.

Talking about Nill as a GM and you bring him up as the player he was? Guess Yzerman should be the best Gm in the NHL then

Kane would make our future much better.

A potential Patrice Bergeron-like centre is way more of an impact player than a potential Jarome Iginla-like player who might play like him on the ice but has exhibited a serious lack of judgement off the ice on many occasions.

We're talking about a potential heir-apparent for when the Sedins retire, we're not talking about some guy that might pan out. The competitiveness, the polish and the discipline of the player all show us that he's bound be a very prolific offensive player in his future. There would have to be a complete shift in his development trajectory for us to give up on him.

He'll finish off the year in the OHL, work his ass off in the summer, come to training camp and try out for a spot with the team. He might even get to play a couple games, but at the end of the day I think he'll head back to the OHL. He'll wrap up another season there and then head to another summer of intense training. After that we'll have the option of sending him to the AHL. My guess is that he'll alternate between the NHL and the AHL during that season, when he's up hear he'll be getting the toughest minutes.

After that(3 years from now), I think he'll have enough polish to get thrown onto the 2C spot in his first season of NHL hockey.

My ignore list would work better if people stopped quoting the ignorable statements those posters keep making. <_<

The Stars are in the same playoff position they have been the last 3-4 years - out of the playoffs that is. I'm not sure how the trade has significantly improved them as a result.

Gillis has made plenty of moves that rank as being bold, and been involved in what would have been other bold moves if the players in question had agreed - but I've made that point already.

Back to ignore you go.

If you change the word "bold" to "stupid" I agree. I'll give you a few examples and then you can let the excuses for each one begin. If you could offer up 10 things he's done that are good at least we'd have a push. Over to you:

1. Offering Sundin 10M per year for 2 years,

2. Having 2 goalies making a combined 10M per year (with 1 obviously sitting on the bench each night) on the team and creating the worst goalie controversy I've seen,

3. Naming Luongo the captain of the team,

4. Trading for David Booth,

5. Trading for Ballard,

6. Resigning Burrows at $4M+ and giving him a NTC

7. Trading Schneider, after grooming him for years and telling Luongo he's our starter with a shot gun to your head on draft day for Horvat,

8. Hiring sleep doctors (fluff doesn't mean you're doing a good job, it just means you want to sound like you are)

9. Hodgson trade

10. Giving NTC's or LTC's to anyone old enough on the team to chew gum.

If you change the word "bold" to "stupid" I agree. I'll give you a few examples and then you can let the excuses for each one begin. If you could offer up 10 things he's done that are good at least we'd have a push. Over to you:

1. Offering Sundin 10M per year for 2 years,

2. Having 2 goalies making a combined 10M per year (with 1 obviously sitting on the bench each night) on the team and creating the worst goalie controversy I've seen,

3. Naming Luongo the captain of the team,

4. Trading for David Booth,

5. Trading for Ballard,

6. Resigning Burrows at $4M+ and giving him a NTC

7. Trading Schneider, after grooming him for years and telling Luongo he's our starter with a shot gun to your head on draft day for Horvat,

8. Hiring sleep doctors (fluff doesn't mean you're doing a good job, it just means you want to sound like you are)

9. Hodgson trade

10. Giving NTC's or LTC's to anyone old enough on the team to chew gum.

you were doing ok there until #5 and then #6 came, the tires fell off and you showed how weak your cards are.

A potential Patrice Bergeron-like centre is way more of an impact player than a potential Jarome Iginla-like player who might play like him on the ice but has exhibited a serious lack of judgement off the ice on many occasions.

We're talking about a potential heir-apparent for when the Sedins retire, we're not talking about some guy that might pan out. The competitiveness, the polish and the discipline of the player all show us that he's bound be a very prolific offensive player in his future. There would have to be a complete shift in his development trajectory for us to give up on him.

He'll finish off the year in the OHL, work his ass off in the summer, come to training camp and try out for a spot with the team. He might even get to play a couple games, but at the end of the day I think he'll head back to the OHL. He'll wrap up another season there and then head to another summer of intense training. After that we'll have the option of sending him to the AHL. My guess is that he'll alternate between the NHL and the AHL during that season, when he's up hear he'll be getting the toughest minutes.

After that(3 years from now), I think he'll have enough polish to get thrown onto the 2C spot in his first season of NHL hockey.

Woahhhhhhhhh, in no way, in any shape or form, at all, is Bergeron close to the player Iggy was (prime/peak/whatever). In no way is that type of player better for a team simply because he won a cup (from the 2nd line at that).

He wouldn't be a Sedin replacement, but a Kesler one, who's also better than Bergeron. Ain't no Iggy though. Kane is also already proven to be a great player in this league. That certainty comes at a cost. Bo is more likely to be a 2nd punch, ala Kes/Richards/Couture/Bergeron ect. We still need the top scorers infront of him, and the overall team. We have most of that now, likely wont if we have to wait several years for a prospect to hit his stride.

Not that I think any deal there is available, pieces moved in the past may have got it done, but Peg has no interest in moving Kane for a prospect like Bo even with a hefty +.

Woahhhhhhhhh, in no way, in any shape or form, at all, is Bergeron close to the player Iggy was (prime/peak/whatever). In no way is that type of player better for a team simply because he won a cup (from the 2nd line at that).

He wouldn't be a Sedin replacement, but a Kesler one, who's also better than Bergeron. Ain't no Iggy though. Kane is also already proven to be a great player in this league. That certainty comes at a cost. Bo is more likely to be a 2nd punch, ala Kes/Richards/Couture/Bergeron ect. We still need the top scorers infront of him, and the overall team. We have most of that now, likely wont if we have to wait several years for a prospect to hit his stride.

Not that I think any deal there is available, pieces moved in the past may have got it done, but Peg has no interest in moving Kane for a prospect like Bo even with a hefty +.

And I suppose the mature Yzerman was in no way the player he was as a young center who didn't have the two way game he later developed, becoming one of the most complete players in the game?

I think you're seriously underestimating Bergeron.

And I suppose the mature Yzerman was in no way the player he was as a young center who didn't have the two way game he later developed, becoming one of the most complete players in the game?

I think you're seriously underestimating Bergeron.

Im not even sure what that question was? And we're talking about Jerome freakin Iginla. Heck he's like a dinosaur and still outproducing Bergeron on the same damn team this season, let alone prime.The gap is massive. Not that either of these players are involved in the discussion, just loose optimistic comparables.

Archived