The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ReOrientation

elvis15

ReOrientation is a three part series examining the changing culture of homosexuality in North American professional team sports. It is a candid and provocative look at a once taboo issue, that needs to be discussed.

Meghan Mutrie@MeghanMutrie

"ReOrientation - A @TSN_Sports Original [Trailer]: http://youtu.be/nliOqNZ0uIw, presented by @aaronward_nhl" #LGBT #YouCanPlay

The brave NFL player in the #TSN "ReOrientation" series is @eseratuaolo, born in Hawaii & of Samoan descent.

I added the Meghan Mutrie tweets as a former Canadian rugby player (and UND hockey player) who now works as a sports reporter mainly between Canada and New Zealand and for the Right To Play group in Canada.

This looks like it could be quite an interesting series, and with the first openly gay athlete coming out in basketball recently, the support for positive discussion in the NFL prior to that and many other steps taken in higher level sports supportive of LGBT rights, it's particularly relevant.

EDIT: Adding the videos now that the series has aired.

Pt1:

Pt2:

Pt3:

• 2 weeks later...

In the third segment of TSN's series on homophobia in sports, Brown and Scrivens talk to Aaron Ward about the issue.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about Dustin Brown, but it is great for him to be part of this. Good for Scrivens too, but I think it means more for an American guy like Brown to speak on the topic.

For those who might suggest that Brown was forced into this, or that this was some kind of PSA, it most certainly was not. Ward mentioned that 12 teams were contacted over 9 months to participate, and these two were the only NHL players who agree to sit down and have an honest discussion. Here is part three:

Part One:

Part: Two:

I hate how people can have their image ruined because of certain slurs that didn't hold the relevance with a generation. I say this as a guy who supports gay rights and is openly bisexual. Certain terms like the word F*ggot have lost the zing because people will say it to straight people as a way of just calling them a wuss. I have said it before as well as friends of mine who support gay rights and in context it isn't always meant in a derogatory way. The Simmonds Avery incident always bothered me as Sean Avery was not openly gay at the time and it came after Avery started yelling he was going to kill Claude Giroux and Simmonds blurted it out when Avery chickened out of any fight. And as someone who isn't out of touch with reality it isn't a derogatory insult it's one guy calling another a bitch.

So I have felt bad for some people who have been labeled because people don't like to admit that the word has many definitions and isn't exclusively derogatory.

Overall I feel many people are to sensitive and look to make a seen out of words even if it wasn't a true personal attack on ones sexuality.

I hate how people can have their image ruined because of certain slurs that didn't hold the relevance with a generation. I say this as a guy who supports gay rights and is openly bisexual. Certain terms like the word F*ggot have lost the zing because people will say it to straight people as a way of just calling them a wuss. I have said it before as well as friends of mine who support gay rights and in context it isn't always meant in a derogatory way. The Simmonds Avery incident always bothered me as Sean Avery was not openly gay at the time and it came after Avery started yelling he was going to kill Claude Giroux and Simmonds blurted it out when Avery chickened out of any fight. And as someone who isn't out of touch with reality it isn't a derogatory insult it's one guy calling another a bitch.

So I have felt bad for some people who have been labeled because people don't like to admit that the word has many definitions and isn't exclusively derogatory.

Overall I feel many people are to sensitive and look to make a seen out of words even if it wasn't a true personal attack on ones sexuality.

Just because it isn't offensive to you or the group of gay friends that you do have, does not mean that some gay men and women out there find it offensive. That's enough for me to try to not use the term. We can help change the culture around homophobia by not using the word in a derogatory sense, even if our intention is use the word 'gay' with a different connotation.

On your comment regarding 'gay' being used to call someone a 'bitch', don't you see how that could be offensive? Someone is viewing 'gay' as interchangeable with 'being a bitch'.

Just because it isn't offensive to you or the group of gay friends that you do have, does not mean that some gay men and women out there find it offensive. That's enough for me to try to not use the term. We can help change the culture around homophobia by not using the word in a derogatory sense, even if our intention is use the word 'gay' with a different connotation.

On your comment regarding 'gay' being used to call someone a 'bitch', don't you see how that could be offensive? Someone is viewing 'gay' as interchangeable with 'being a bitch'.

So every single word that could been seen as offensive to anyone should automatically have a personal crucified if they say it once and didn't mean it in the manner that is derogatory?

You as a human being have never ever said any word that is offensive to any race, sex, or sexual preference?

So every single word that could been seen as offensive to anyone should automatically have a personal crucified if they say it once and didn't mean it in the manner that is derogatory?

You as a human being have never ever said any word that is offensive to any race, sex, or sexual preference?

I've done it, lots. Doesn't make it right. Just because I've done it in the past, doesn't mean I see no reason to try to correct it in the future.

Should a person be crucified for saying it? Of course not, but a spectrum exists between 'doing nothing' and 'crucifying them'.

I've done it, lots. Doesn't make it right. Just because I've done it in the past, doesn't mean I see no reason to try to correct it in the future.

Should a person be crucified for saying it? Of course not, but a spectrum exists between 'doing nothing' and 'crucifying them'.

Or put it this way, is every person who ever said the N word a racist who hates all black people?

Is everyone person who ever said f*g a homophobic person who hates all gay people?

Has everyone person who has said the B word someone who hates women?

I am not defending hate but I do feel people love to label and make faulty leaps of logic based on words. Their can be a difference between saying a word like f*ggot and straight up saying you hate gay people.

My gripe with segments like that is they label people who use words with numerous definitions as homophobic people even though it could very well mean something else. The same way you would be trashed if you were famous and said any possible judgmental word in public even if that wasn't how you meant it.

this reminds me how much the word gay is thrown around. lot's of times people throw it around in a joking manner and it just becomes another word in their vocab. this is a good reminder to me to tone down on using the word in a joking manner as i've been guilty of using it.

I have gay friends who get a lot of hate for their gender preference and even though i or anyone else doesn't use the term to actually insult a gay person, using the word so freely may cause us to eventually offend someone directly or indirectly- cause we may use the word without much thinking

props to both players for speaking

this reminds me how much the word gay is thrown around. lot's of times people throw it around in a joking manner and it just becomes another word in their vocab. this is a good reminder to me to tone down on using the word in a joking manner as i've been guilty of using it.

I have gay friends who get a lot of hate for their gender preference and even though i or anyone else doesn't use the term to actually insult a gay person, using the word so freely may cause us to eventually offend someone directly or indirectly- cause we may use the word without much thinking

props to both players for speaking

Their lies the question. If mainstream culture desensitizes a word who is in the wrong? The person who gets offended by every mainstream reference or the mainstream person who never actually meant to offend? I just watched a parody where they ade gay references about a pilot who was extremely flamboyant and said numerous lines that could be taken the wrong way. Maybe I should write hate man to the writers because they clearly hate gay people?

That is my issue with it.

People look too deeply in to the meaning of the use of certain words. That doesn't mean I'm going to go out in the streets and yell derogatory words out. I'll never understand why the use of a word can offend so many people. The word isn't the problem, it's the treatment associated with these words. I'm not homophobic or racist. I have gay friends and I have a lot of mixed culture friends (mostly actually), and I use a lot of "controversial" words but it doesn't bother them, and it doesn't bother anyone I come across because I'm just treating them like I would anyone else. Words are words people, it's the treatment associated with the words IMO that bothers people. Of course if anyone ever feels disrespected by what I say, I'm the first to apologize but it hasn't happened yet.

Just wanna say, to me as long as you play good hockey, or are good at whatever job you have, that cool, personally it doesnt matter what your lifestyle is, as long as you are good at what you do.

Just wanna say, to me as long as you play good hockey, or are good at whatever job you have, that cool, personally it doesnt matter what your lifestyle is, as long as you are good at what you do.

What is it you wanna say?

Real good job on that series by Aaron Ward. TSN is a leader in drawing attention to these kinds of issues.

Props to Brown and Scrivens for agreeing to appear in this series. It's really sad that 12 NHL teams were given the opportunity and no players agreed to do it. It's an opportunity to make a difference in so many lives.

There is no way every single player in the NHL today is straight. It's only a matter of time before someone comes out and, when they do, hopefully their peers will have the wherewithal to respect them and not use it against them.

Archived