The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Stanton, 1st, 2nd , Gaunce, Booth For O'Rielly.

Doesnt seem that much of a bad trade.

2 picks. potential 3rd line C with off the charts hockey IQ, future top 4 D with solid physical presence and a nose for the net under awesome contract. And....Booth

For an RFA player who has never scored 60 points yet carries a $6 million contract and a $6.5 million Qualifier.

Blue.....you're better than this

2 picks. potential 3rd line C with off the charts hockey IQ, future top 4 D with solid physical presence and a nose for the net under awesome contract. And....Booth

For an RFA player who has never scored 60 points yet carries a $6 million contract and a $6.5 million Qualifier.

Its a trade were we dont give up a big piece of our team. Stanton-eh wavier pick up, 1st and 2nd- could be important, Gaunce-19 YO, O'Rielly- 22 YO. Booth - welll its to fit in the cap.

But then again we would be screwed in cap space next year with Tanevs contract.

So good thing im not GM

Its a trade were we dont give up a big piece of our team. Stanton-eh wavier pick up, 1st and 2nd- could be important, Gaunce-19 YO, O'Rielly- 22 YO. Booth - welll its to fit in the cap.

So good thing im not GM

I just don't get why people are handing over so much for O'Reilly.

Do a quick RFA search on Cap Geek as well as a UFA search for this year and there are comparable guys for much less than what people are offering

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/ ufa

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=1 RFA

Search by position. There's some remarkable names available.

So good thing im not GM

With Stanton being a waiver pickup, we can't actually trade him without first offering him to any team that also made a claim after us. I'm not sure if any did, but if so it would certainly put a wrench in your proposal.

With Stanton being a waiver pickup, we can't actually trade him without first offering him to any team that also made a claim after us. I'm not sure if any did, but if so it would certainly put a wrench in your proposal.

Really? I didnt know about that. Thanks for the info.

To Van- Ryan O’Reilly

To Col- Alex Edler,Yannik Hansen,4th

Next year with O’Reilly signed to a 6 year 6 million dollar contract

Sign Ryan Callahan 4 years 5.8 million

Sign Matt Niskanen 4 years 3.9 million

*Buyout David Booth*

2014-2015 VANCOUVER CANUCKS

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Callahan(bring the word defense to this line)

Shinkaruk-O’Reilly-Burrows(Shink gets 2 defensive players to ease him in, while he can focus on offense)

Higgins-Horvat-Kesler(Shutdown line)

Sestito-Richardson-Kassain

Hamhuis-Niskanen

Garrison-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

Thoughts?

This lineup wil average one goal per game lol need more snipers.

I think his point is that both are equally ridiculous offers for ROR.

Edler alone is more than enough for ROR.

Not with his injury history and inconsistent overall play. It also sounds like you don't watch the Avs at all. O'Rielly has completely come into his own this season and is a beast at both ends of the rink. If this was the Edler of two years ago a straight swap would be fair. Unfortunately, his back has really set him back and hurt his trade value in the process.

It's true, edler is a #3/4 D man. Those don't come into trade too often, they are worth more than a top 6 forward

Edler for RoR straight up is a knock as socks off deal. Edler for RoR + is more value = value

Lol. See above.

You definitely got a point, Elvis. Perhaps we could be better going after a more dynamic goal scorer but the consistent ones are few and far between when it comes to trades. Waiting for that deal could be the death of us. I'm also thinking adding a guy like O'Reilly could be what pushes Kassian to really break out.

The last time we were impatient for what we needed, we overloaded one position with a good player remarkably like a another good player we already had... See Garrison acquisition when we had Hamuis (and Edler).

We ended up adding depth to the team but not bringing in any new skills our team was lacking. Bringing in O'Reilly with Kesler here looks a lot like that... Take a look; did we get any better???

Depth can get you passed the 3rd round, but wont make you good enough to get there.

Add to it, we project Horvat and Gaunce to be similar players. Someday we got to get off our arse, and get a goal scorer and a PMD. Check the proposal below, also adds some size.

Last, there is no reason to believe O'reilly, who is not a dangling and dishing machine will magically uncork Kassian.

Kass has to start cruising to the net harder, doing more fore-checking, get hard on the puck and start winning more puck battles on the boards. He's big, he'll draw two guys, lanes open up for his line mates and he'll get return passes. Its all on Zack as to when he breaks out.

Sign and trade bruh. But in all seriousness, if ROR is really otb then 29 teams will be bidding. Toronto can already out bid us with a Kadri/Gardiner package

Yeah well funny thing... :rolleyes:

Gardiner wont be making Colorado a better defensive team. Him or Kadri is not what they need. They have as much puck handling and scoring as they need. Us however???

I always liked 3 ways! :frantic:

Edler to Colorado, O'reilly to Toronto, Gardiner and Kadri to our center of the Universe.

And to Balance the cap (and rosters), Gaunce + Weise to Toronto for Kullemin (a rental big RW) and a first. FTR I dont exactly like this component, but a necessary evil. Toronto seeing two big centers, one a local prospect, has a much harder time saying no to deal A. Resolves some of their cap issues next year as well. The draft pick should be higher than we we drafted Gaunce, so opportunity and loss. Kulemin add's a class well above Weise, size and a Canuck on puck work ethic / defense.

Danny Hank Burrows

Higgins Kesler Kulemin Hey Kulemin scored 30 goals once, maybe he's a Twin? Odd are better than Booth? B)

Booth Kadri Kassian

Sestito Santorelli Richardson

Hamhuis Tanev

Gardiner Garrison

Stanton Bieksa

Gardiner Garrison 1st PP

I just don't get why people are handing over so much for O'Reilly.

Do a quick RFA search on Cap Geek as well as a UFA search for this year and there are comparable guys for much less than what people are offering

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/ ufa

http://www.capgeek.c...-1&fa_type_id=1 RFA

Search by position. There's some remarkable names available.

I could see Moneball Mike making a play for Frolik.

I would love to see O'Reilly in Vancouver but unless Colorado was in love with something we were offering, i think they would easily find a better deal elsewere.

The Flyers seem to be in on everyone and I could see Holmgren offering a combination of Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Luke Schenn, Coburn, Laughton or whatever else they have.

While Tanev may be a great young d man, I just dont know if the rest of the league has seen enough of him or appreciates him like the fans in Vancouver do.

I dont even want to say it, but if we still had Schneider they might take a look our offer...

This is good value. Losing Stanton sucks, but the first and second are low in a weak draft. Gaunce will never be anything more than a 3rd liner. Booth has negative value so the Avs wont take him off our hands anyways.

All we give up is Stanton , a third line prospect and a 1st and second in a weak draft. If the Avs want to give us a 22 year old 50 point guy, its a great deal for us.

LOL are you joking? Edler for O'Reilly straight up is more than enough and COL may have to add.

How much CDC underrates Edler is ridiculous.

I'm not under rating him by any means. The fact is ROR is a solid, young, two-way, top 6 player who also happens to be a center, and he has already put up good point totals at an age where most kids are playing in the AHL. He has more to offer the AVs than Edler does alone, not a ton more, but enough to need a pick. A first this year is equivalent to a 2nd or 3rd next year based on the talent available, so it isn't as steep as it seems. A first next year? No way. But this year we'd be lucky to draft a kid who could crack our 4th line in 5 years.

This is good value. Losing Stanton sucks, but the first and second are low in a weak draft. Gaunce will never be anything more than a 3rd liner. Booth has negative value so the Avs wont take him off our hands anyways.

All we give up is Stanton , a third line prospect and a 1st and second in a weak draft. If the Avs want to give us a 22 year old 50 point guy, its a great deal for us.

That package could net us better with the proper team (sans Booth)

As well, the second we give up Gaunce we are now looking for a 3rd line C for the future yet again. Our draft picks for at least the next 2 solid seasons should be treated like water in a desert and should not be squandered as it will take a minimum of 2 more seasons before what we did in 2012 starts making an impact in the league or on our team either as players or trade bait.

As it stands hesitant to give anything up that hasn't played a full season in at least the AHL with the shallow pool we have.

And yes our prospect pool is more shallow than the gene pool at a Kentucky family reunion

Not with his injury history and inconsistent overall play. It also sounds like you don't watch the Avs at all. O'Rielly has completely come into his own this season and is a beast at both ends of the rink. If this was the Edler of two years ago a straight swap would be fair. Unfortunately, his back has really set him back and hurt his trade value in the process.

Lol. See above.

2nd line players =/= Top 4 D

People here hate on edler, but look at it from an outside prospective, and numbers.

Also don't forget Avs had some "coho" like problems with him and his dad getting involved in negotiations

Note this is only the 2nd time RoR has broken 30points.

Not only did goligoski get James neal who was a top prospect and had 3/3 30+ point seasons, plus a 55 point season in his second year, they also get niskanen.

Edler > goligoski

I'm not under rating him by any means. The fact is ROR is a solid, young, two-way, top 6 player who also happens to be a center, and he has already put up good point totals at an age where most kids are playing in the AHL. He has more to offer the AVs than Edler does alone, not a ton more, but enough to need a pick. A first this year is equivalent to a 2nd or 3rd next year based on the talent available, so it isn't as steep as it seems. A first next year? No way. But this year we'd be lucky to draft a kid who could crack our 4th line in 5 years.

depends on if we miss the playoffs or trade up. We are hovering on the verge of being a bubble team. a continued or prolonged slide or losses in the south east alone could put us on the outside especially if Dallas picks it up and Phoenix and Minnesota keep winning.

If we give up a pick now and miss the playoffs there are some serious players in the top 15 we could use without question. Dal Colle, Honka, Ritchie, Drasiatl and more. Not even mentioning the potential lottery win. Imagine giving up a 1st this year missing the playoffs and handing Ekblad over to another team ALA Burkes Leafs.

As I stated previously our next 2 solid seasons worth of draft picks should be treated like gold as we will need to start stockpiling and developing for when our core is finally on their way out the door.

I would rather not go in for a 2way player with the amount we have on the roster and in the system...no need for that player type

depends on if we miss the playoffs or trade up. We are hovering on the verge of being a bubble team. a continued or prolonged slide or losses in the south east alone could put us on the outside especially if Dallas picks it up and Phoenix and Minnesota keep winning.

If we give up a pick now and miss the playoffs there are some serious players in the top 15 we could use without question. Dal Colle, Honka, Ritchie, Drasiatl and more. Not even mentioning the potential lottery win. Imagine giving up a 1st this year missing the playoffs and handing Ekblad over to another team ALA Burkes Leafs.

As I stated previously our next 2 solid seasons worth of draft picks should be treated like gold as we will need to start stockpiling and developing for when our core is finally on their way out the door.

Could you imagine if we won the lottery and Edmonton came 2nd...haha they would hate us forever lol

Archived