The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change Needed!-Aquilini's Please Fire Gillis!

Ricciuti1

What has Gillis actually done to warrant getting fired?

passively watched his team get progressively worse for 3 straight years while too paralyzed by fear and indecision to make any changes. in his six years as gm he has added one player to the core that he inherited. not to mention the plethora of brutal trades that have been discussed ad nauseum.

what has he done to warrant keeping his job?

Honestly, the Canucks have been doing BETTER because of Gillis. Look at Santorelli, Stanton and Richardson. All producing at a good rate, and cheap as well..

Look at our new backup, Lack. 8-6-3, Signed for another 2 years after this at 1.5 million each.

I would have to say, that Gillis is doing his job fine. Maybe it isnt Gillis's fault that we cant score a damn.

OMG some people are dumb. And why do you think we can't score? You answered your own bloody question you numbskull.

Been doing better than what?

Gillis is doing a fine job? Geez I wish you were my boss, I'd leave a crap in the dishwasher and then take a nap under my desk for a couple hours and then accept your praise. Beautiful.

Is it gillis' fault the twins aren't producing? We have all the keys we just need to the players to play at what their value is. Right now it isn't happening. December it was.

I saw this dumb statement posted by you somewhere else too. We don't have the keys, we have no where near all the keys. How could anyone in their right mind say that? Mind boggling. It's Gillis' fault we surround a couple of aging 34 year players that will make $7 mil next year with useless plugs, when in fact that $7 mil center has only scored more than 20 goals twice in 10+ years. Yeah that's all on Gillis. Especially when he had $10m sitting on the bench or in the pressbox last year.

Gillis has a responsibilty as a GM of a professional hockey team to improve. We made it to the cup finals and got pushed around and couldnt score. Im not sure if we are still a gritty enough team. We need that SImmonds type player in our top 6 imo

Also Gillis has done nothing to imrpove our top 6 offensive and scoring, and now the sedins are getting older as is burrows, and Kesler cant take two 3rd liners and make them look and produce like 2nd liners.

So ya, 3 years and we still have the same issues, and have been bounced in the 1st round in 2 straight years after so called being an elite team, now coming to realize that things have changed.

Id say GM MG aint doing his job to go out and get us scoring help and or gritty players that can score and inserting them on the team.

Be BOLD MG, you might have to overpay a bit, or trade a young asset or 2 to get us help now. and grow some balls and go to a guy like Edler and say, hey man we appreciate all you have done, but I gotta make a change, where are you willing to waive for.

Players LIke Hansen, Edler, Jensen,Corrado, our 1st, Horvat/Shinkaruk. THey should be in play if we get a impact player now. I like Horvat but If we get a 30+ goal scorer now to play with twins or kesler whos say 26 or under then I dont see it as being a major loss.

edler for b.schenn or simmonds(but hes on a tear lately)

edler, jensen for O reilly(signed to extension under 6m)

Hansen, Horvat For E.Kane and a 2nd

Gillis should be active around the league with no one off limits to atleast hear about offers about them. And to read Weise is in play, come on. Weise to the Rangers for a 5/6 round pick

Gillis will not be fired. This year was always going to be a transition year. A roll of the dice. His report card comes after next season/this coming summer.

If he doesn't make serious progress with a rising cap, buying out Booth and the likely additions of a couple prospects on the big club, THEN we MIGHT see him fired.

All of you panicky loons that for some reason expected another President cup regular season and expect him to go sell off our youth or demand veteran players waive their rightfuly earned NTC's could not be more out to lunch. Talk about taking the quickest train to Calgary Flames-ville.

Calm the frack down people and just accept that barring some miracle turn around, this was NEVER going to be our season. Accept the loss and move on,

OMG some people are dumb. And why do you think we can't score? You answered your own bloody question you numbskull.

Been doing better than what?

Gillis is doing a fine job? Geez I wish you were my boss, I'd leave a crap in the dishwasher and then take a nap under my desk for a couple hours and then accept your praise. Beautiful.

I saw this dumb statement posted by you somewhere else too. We don't have the keys, we have no where near all the keys. How could anyone in their right mind say that? Mind boggling. It's Gillis' fault we surround a couple of aging 34 year players that will make $7 mil next year with useless plugs, when in fact that $7 mil center has only scored more than 20 goals twice in 10+ years. Yeah that's all on Gillis. Especially when he had $10m sitting on the bench or in the pressbox last year.

Your so right the nerve of Gillis resigning Hank...I mean he only got 112 points once...He also has 3 more goals then Thornton this season so should the Sharks let him walk also? Their stil leading this team their still 1st line players give your head a shake...Hank has 5 less points and 1 more game then last year...Everybody still had love then...He is still on pace for 70 points omgomgomg its the end of the world hes not on pase for a 2nd Art Ross what are we gonna do...The Sedins are NOT the issue its the fact everybody knows we have 1 line and they know it needs to be shutdown...Santo has cooled off Kesler has cooled off Higgins...Where the 2ndary scoring? Not worth blowing the farm on 1 or 2 guys not the end of the world

I hate how Gillis uses the money he is given. He refuses to go out and pay a price for a quality player. He will not overpay and is hellbent on getting a deal on every single transaction he makes. The facts are as many point out the good players are hard to find, therefore you have to overpay sometimes if you want to be the best. You have to make that one deal to put you over the top.

So what does he do to faciliate his desire to sneakily gain more cap than everyone, he sign's every single player to marginally cheaper contracts, but gives them all NTC's and term. Then when their next cotracts come up, like Burrows and the Sedins they still get NTC's but they also get overpaid. No wonder our teams a steaming pile of poo with no wiggle room whatsoever.

Your so right the nerve of Gillis resigning Hank...I mean he only got 112 points once...He also has 3 more goals then Thornton this season so should the Sharks let him walk also? Their stil leading this team their still 1st line players give your head a shake...Hank has 5 less points and 1 more game then last year...Everybody still had love then...He is still on pace for 70 points omgomgomg its the end of the world hes not on pase for a 2nd Art Ross what are we gonna do...The Sedins are NOT the issue its the fact everybody knows we have 1 line and they know it needs to be shutdown...Santo has cooled off Kesler has cooled off Higgins...Where the 2ndary scoring? Not worth blowing the farm on 1 or 2 guys not the end of the world

The spin used to make not signing him ridiculous as a way to invalidate the argument is duly noted , but not accurate.

There is a far cry from re signing the guy as opposed to letting him walk...............and giving the 33 year old 7mil bucks for 4 years when its more than obvious they will never get 80 points again.

I suggested 5.5mil for 2 years but was scoffed at. Even the twins have to face the realities of the cap NHL and the fact 70 point guys should get 5.5 million. Even if you think they are worth more now somehow, they wont be 2 years from now.

So the 7mil is a disaster signing but all it means is we got to carry them through the rebuild and thats ok with me if they are game. :)

You totally misinterpreted what I was saying. I have no problem with the Sedins but if you're going to lock up 14 mil a year in two forwards and one of them doesn't score you had better surround them or support them with some legimate goal scoring threats. That's the catch, while they are awesome players one of them doesn't score. You don't surround them with Dalpe, Hansen, Wiese, or even Burrows. At the very least there has to be someone else in the top 6 that scores goals. As I stated, if you have the Sedins you don't surround them with plugs.

Thornton also has Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Burns, and Havlat to work with. See the difference?

Unfortunately, if you want the Sedins on your team you're going to have to sacrifice a little more money and bring in another elite forward. Whether that comes from the defence, goalie, or redundant second/third line group budget it has to be done if success is the goal.

Gillis will not be fired. This year was always going to be a transition year. A roll of the dice. His report card comes after next season/this coming summer.

If he doesn't make serious progress with a rising cap, buying out Booth and the likely additions of a couple prospects on the big club, THEN we MIGHT see him fired.

All of you panicky loons that for some reason expected another President cup regular season and expect him to go sell off our youth or demand veteran players waive their rightfuly earned NTC's could not be more out to lunch. Talk about taking the quickest train to Calgary Flames-ville.

Calm the frack down people and just accept that barring some miracle turn around, this was NEVER going to be our season. Accept the loss and move on,

Exactly, this year was a total crapshoot and he did surprisingly well with the little wiggle room he had. Look at how many teams that went to the finals in recent years that have fallen completely off the map. We haven't, and you can thank gillis for that. Ya it would be nice if he somehow found us the next toews outta nowhere, but that is completely unrealistic. Was he supposed to trade Kesler for moulson and a first? Would we be smashing the ducks and hawks then?.. Absolutely not lol

He's not going to go all in right now, that would be a major mistake. He made the coaching change and the shake up is coming but he's not trading Horvat for a rental this year. Get over it, CDC, you can't be the cup front runner every year.

who says we are suppose to compete for the cup. Yes every team needs to compete every year but only a few actually have a chance. No one out side of the Canucks fan base thinks we have a chance, and they are right. Next year we have Horvat and youth coming in as well as Cap Space. If we can get an elite winger to play with Kesler and Kassian, than that becomes your new first line. Once this happens the Sedins will excel in a second line role.

?-Kesler-Kassian

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Horvat-Dalphe/Santorelli

Stestito-Richarson-Hansen

And the worst is while I agree that were not in a position to do anything this year I have absolutely zero confidence that MG will get it done this summer. Everyone else has cap going up and they will be willing to pay to upgrade their team. MG won't so we're looking at a couple more reclaim projects and pretty much the same team cause everyone is on NTC and we only have a couple spots open.

And the worst is while I agree that were not in a position to do anything this year I have absolutely zero confidence that MG will get it done this summer. Everyone else has cap going up and they will be willing to pay to upgrade their team. MG won't so we're looking at a couple more reclaim projects and pretty much the same team cause everyone is on NTC and we only have a couple spots open.

Where do people get these ideas...? :picard:

Just because he has a knack for signing talent below market value does not mean he isn't willing to pay extra to get what's needed when he's able.

Sundin and Malholtra both say hi.

Florida is apparently being given authority to spend to the cap and they are clearing a lot of space. Our historical trading partner will have lots of space for GMMG to work with. I also have two more words...Bo Horvat.

Where do people get these ideas...? :picard:

Just because he has a knack for signing talent below market value does not mean he isn't willing to pay extra to get what's needed when he's able.

Sundin and Malholtra both say hi.

I just get it from the fact that I've wanted a top 6 winger here for 6 years now. He's never gone out and got one ... well maybe Booth but it hasn't worked out. That's where I got it from, experience, how most of us learn things.

Sundin I'll give you ... but again that was 5 years ago. Since then we've desperately needed to add to the top 6 ... to no avail.

I'm just being realistic J.R., do you think we're going to land an elite UFA?

Florida is apparently being given authority to spend to the cap and they are clearing a lot of space. Our historical trading partner will have lots of space for GMMG to work with. I also have two more words...Bo Horvat.

As above I've been let down too many times to get overly excited. If something happens that will be absolutely spectacular, but of all the facts and decisions I've seen MG make my equation generator spits out reclaim or out of the blue attempt by MG again this summer.

Archived