The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phone Advice - Samsung Ace 2 or Sony XperiaSP (free with Bell plan)

Dogbyte

Hi All,

Apparently when I originally signed up and got my Samsung gravity slide phone 4 years ago the rep lied when he said it was hockey proof. It was working for a while after I threw it against the wall last week but it has since died and the tech I brought it too said the motherboard was fried.

Maybe some of you phone people can help me out but you'll probably be bored by my simplistic, no social media, phone needs. Oh well here goes.

I have a choice between the Samsung Ace 2 and the Sony Xpheria, or now apparently the HTC Desire. (I could also get a Samsung Discovery but they look like they suck). So I'm wondering which one is bettter?

Thing is right now I basically just use my phone to text a friend working on the rigs, my brother sometimes, and to communicate with my own team about gametimes, rides, etc. It's also an emergency thing and communicating when out of the house.

I don't even have data I just have voice but I think I'll might try data for a month and see what it's all about. The reason why I don't have it is I walk a block and a half to work, I have an excellent computer set up in my house connected in 2 ways to the sitting area so I don't need it there either. In fact, I can't really see when I would use data but I could imagine it's probably pretty easy to get used to having.

So is one phone better than the other one for me based on the fact I may or may not have data in the future? I don't really take pics, or video much but I might if it was easier and better than my old phone. Don't listen to music much but then again I only had room for 8 songs on my last phone. I don't Twitter, Facebook, or IM at all so that's of no concern.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DB

I wouldn't recommend the Ace 2. I have some sort of Samsung Ace (I don't remember which one anymore) and it's awful. I originally thought it might just be a lemon but then I met someone else with the same phone and they had even more problems with it than I do. The battery life is non-existant. I have literally gotten up in the morning unplugged it at 100% charge and left it at home then when I get back in the evening the battery is dead. The phone is barely a year old.

If you don't mind asking why on earth would you do that?

It boils down to drunken stupidity. It was getting old and wasn't making phone calls or receiving texts properly and it caused me to miss out on some great plans for the weekend, as well as pissing off a friend of a friend. Some really bad hockey happening at the same time and I just snapped. I guess the tech said there was water damage on the motherboard so I think it was dying anyway.

I wouldn't recommend the Ace 2. I have some sort of Samsung Ace (I don't remember which one anymore) and it's awful. I originally thought it might just be a lemon but then I met someone else with the same phone and they had even more problems with it than I do. The battery life is non-existant. I have literally gotten up in the morning unplugged it at 100% charge and left it at home then when I get back in the evening the battery is dead. The phone is barely a year old.

Yeah, that's one of my worries. My now deadphone held charge for over a week easily. I always see people running out of juice nowadays. I was able to laugh at them before. :sadno:

Htc desire?

Damn. I have a desire hd, which is newer than that - and I've had it for almost 3 years now. That's an old phone.

Just throw a heavy duty case on any phone, and they're pretty close to being indestructible against most every day accidents. Just don't throw it against a wall.

id go with the xperia sp. nice specs and has a raft coming out to bring it to 4.3 i believe.

http://www.xperiablo...-263-certified/

plus, sony looks all fancy

Thanks, appreciate the link, I'm going through some reviews and online demos now.

Htc desire?

Damn. I have a desire hd, which is newer than that - and I've had it for almost 3 years now. That's an old phone.

Just throw a heavy duty case on any phone, and they're pretty close to being indestructible against most every day accidents. Just don't throw it against a wall.

Thanks lol, Yeah this one I won't throw against the wall. I guess I should get a screen protector too?

I have a Sony Xperia. I'd recommend it.

You'd need another browser to view Flash though. Android and Flash aren't natively compatible.

On the other hand, apps are free via Play Store.

Thanks Dazzle,

That's where I'm leaning.

I did read that it's not Flash compatible. What does that mean exactly, I can't watch flash embedded in websites, or I have to open in a seperate program, or ....? Excuse my ignorance.

I have an SP and quite like it. Solidly built, decent overlay that doesn't go too far etc. Feel free to ask any questions.

FWIW from my experience the "lesser" Samsung phones are poop. Even some of their flagship units can be a bit flimsy. The build quality and larger battery are the bigger points that swayed me to the Sony. (I was cross shopping S3 and S4 mini).

The Ace II has a very good battery but it's quite slow. I've gone about two and a half days with it before the batteries went dry. If the OP's just going to text people and not make a lot of calls or do... ANYTHING else with it, I'd get the Ace II.

But how about the Rugby or something really sturdy?

I have an SP and quite like it. Solidly built, decent overlay that doesn't go too far etc. Feel free to ask any questions.

FWIW from my experience the "lesser" Samsung phones are poop. Even some of their flagship units can be a bit flimsy. The build quality and larger battery are the bigger points that swayed me to the Sony. (I was cross shopping S3 and S4 mini).

Awesome, thanks bud. :rolleyes:

The Ace II is the only phone with a standard plan. OP you gotta pay data on the other two phones if you plan on contracting.

The SP and the Desire are obviously better models

These guys at the store tell me I can get either for free with just a voice or voice and data lite. I pay $34 right now for voice and I can get that lite plan for $45 so I might try it for a month and then go back if I don't need it. I'm going to go see them in a bit here.

Check your battery of your old phone to see if it's fine. The new phones these days have some pretty crappy batteries and if you do too much with them the batteries malfunction so that basic activities are hard to do. Never watch any videos/ sporting games on your phone. It permanently messes the batteries up by emptying them more and more each time. And if you charge it too much when it is empty it becomes very dangerous.

If the batteries are dead you can replace them for around $15-30. Beats getting those crappy phones (unless you got some other options).

Check your battery of your old phone to see if it's fine. The new phones these days have some pretty crappy batteries and if you do too much with them the batteries malfunction so that basic activities are hard to do. Never watch any videos/ sporting games on your phone. It permanently messes the batteries up by emptying them more and more each time. And if you charge it too much when it is empty it becomes very dangerous.

If the batteries are dead you can replace them for around $15-30. Beats getting those crappy phones (unless you got some other options).

Ha ha, that's what I thought because it was working before the battery died. I asked the Techs about 5 different times until they were irratated with me, they were adamant it was the board and didn't seem upset that I didn't want to replace it. I would love to test it with a new battery first but .... the charging port doesn't seem to work now so I'm sure a new battery would power it up but I wouldn't be able to recharge it. That's the only problem with it.

Thanks Dazzle,

That's where I'm leaning.

I did read that it's not Flash compatible. What does that mean exactly, I can't watch flash embedded in websites, or I have to open in a seperate program, or ....? Excuse my ignorance.

I believe the story was that Android and Flash were not seeing eye to eye and because of that, Android refused to support Flash (or vice versa).

However, if it's jailbroken OR if you were to find a flash enabled browser (also found in the Play Store), you could get it to work.

Yeah, that's one of my worries. My now deadphone held charge for over a week easily. I always see people running out of juice nowadays. I was able to laugh at them before. :sadno:

Just buy this:

Nokia_5110.jpeg

You can probably find it in pawn shops or some antique museum...probably can get it for free. Plus you can use it as a hockey puck since it is indestructible and easy to use while maintaining its charge for a long time. You can even play games with it too and it has clear call quality.

Archived