The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

It is what it is. I mean at least Torts was honest about it. Hartley saying that he sent those guys out because they scored a goal last game is total BS.

A guy with 3 FOs this season? Sure...looking for a goal. Give me a break

the sad thing is, hartley's story has more leverage just because of the media's (cbc's) character assassination of torts for what he did. like, no one really knows what was going on. just make assumptions for what was caught by the cameras

I honestly didn't like it.

The Canucks are were a fragile bunch, to begin with. Why on earth would you want to risk losing your players to a game misconduct or injury, when you're fricking fighting for a playoff spot? I get Torts was trying to make a point. Fine, do it on the scoreboard, don't stoop to their level, make them pay by dancing circles around them.

If I were other teams around the league, I would take notes on this. By sending their 4th liners at the start of each game and try the bait Torts again.

Any coach that can get Calgary playing pretty decent hockey over what they had last year is doing a good job IMO. Does no one think that Hartley didn't watch the clips from Van's trip to California? Calgary can team build as well, no?

Hartley threw a challenge/message to Van and Torts answered. Nothing wrong with that. PJ Stock was railing against what he would have done when he was a player.

Pretty boring game!

I loved it. I also loved all the pansies whining and crying about it because they can't handle it. Torts is the coach we desperately needed. Slowly, but surely, he is tearing away the bad habits this team formed under AV.

Except they are now incredibly undisciplined. I like some of what he has done but the team seems to run around blindly a lot more than they used to.

The Canucks are were a fragile bunch, to begin with. Why on earth would you want to risk losing your players to a game misconduct or injury, when you're fricking fighting for a playoff spot? I get Torts was trying to make a point. Fine, do it on the scoreboard, don't stoop to their level, make them pay by dancing circles around them.

If I were other teams around the league, I would take notes on this. By sending their 4th liners at the start of each game and try the bait Torts again.

Why send any key players out there to get jumped or injured when we are fighting for a playoff spot?

Why send any key players out there to get jumped or injured when we are fighting for a playoff spot?

Pretty sure Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, and Richardson, could have took care of themselves.

If they want to start sh!t, then so be it. At the end, we go on the man advantage and make them pay.

Pretty sure Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, and Richardson, could have took care of themselves.

If they want to start sh!t, then so be it. At the end, we go on the man advantage and make them pay.

So we get key players tossed instead of 4th liners and Bieksa and Garrison?

(That still could get injured from fighting...)

Yeah great idea lets send out some of the only players that can actually score goals for this team against a full goon squad to either get injured or thrown out of the game, or both. Great plan, 10/10.

So we get key players tossed instead of 4th liners and Bieksa and Garrison?

(That still could get injured from fighting...)

We don't engage at all, hence, don't stoop to their level.

This isn't the first time a coach has sent out their 4th line players to start a game. Claude Julien has done it, so has Bylsma, Laviolette, Crawford, and DeBoer. You would think Torts should have learned his lesson the first time, when DeBoer sent out his 4th liners to start a game against his Rangers.

I don't blame torts for trying to stand up for his players in the 1st intermission. But for calgary to come into our building & start their goons, thinking that we would be pushed around, good job for torts to recognize this, & put out our tough guys, to show that fracker hartley that we won't stand for that. Imagine if AV here, he'd put the sedins on.

But for PJ Stock to go off for no reason? Comparing what torts did to what thornton did is appaling. Torts didn't throw no punches, he just wanted to talk to the fracker hartley. PJ stock is an idiotic ass. And hartley in a post game comment "I had no intention of trying to start anything" and says it with a smile, like "haha look what id did" unacceptable.

We don't engage at all, hence, don't stoop to their level.

This isn't the first time a coach has sent out their 4th line players to start a game. Claude Julien has done it, so has Bylsma, Laviolette, Crawford, and DeBoer. You would think Torts should have learned his lesson the first time, when DeBoer sent out his 4th liners to start a game against his Rangers.

So if something happened to a star player what would you think then? You don't risk it

You can't say "Why on earth would you want to risk losing your players to a game misconduct or injury, when you're fricking fighting for a playoff spot?" and then argue that he should of started star players

I'm sure Hartley wouldn't mind a 4th liner gone to hurt a star player especially when our PP can't score to make them pay. That theory doesn't work anymore, we can't keep getting cheap shotted and thinking our struggling powerplay will stop other players from doing it.

I think the reason why Torts responded with his 4th line needs to be looked at closer. Hartley knows that Hank is injured badly and all day it was talked about him being a game time decision. But we all knew he was going to play... because he's Hank. Putting out those 3 forwards that he did was suppose to be a clear shot at the Sedins. So if we put the 3rd line out there. That means that the Canucks are letting the other team push them around! Torts would not be standing up for his players. Teams would realize that the Canucks can still be pushed around.

Say we put out a different line and we "beat them on the scoreboard". We even "danced circles around them". Who cares? You are not going to be receiving respect from any other team in the league by beating Calgary 6-1. We played with the "beat them on the scoreboard" mentality for years before Torts got here. It was so frustrating to watch. It also gave the Canucks a lot of press about being a push over team. If you starting throwing hits at a team who wants to beat you on the scoreboard; you wear them down and win. Boston, LA, SJ, Chicago (few years ago) all know this. But if your team fires back no matter how tough they truly are. They create that chemistry that can make any team win 16 games in the playoff. Playing the tough, hard nosed style builds a team. It's the teams that would go to war for each other that end up being the best.

I realize I'm not going to change your opinions on the way the game should be played. But I just wanted to share mine.

Archived