The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

I absolutely LOVE John Tortorella for last night, as well as our team that is now developing a bit of that wolfpack mentality that is the key ingredient in any successful team.

Torts showed more passion in that game last night then AV did in his entire career here.

The Canucks had 3 players injured last game and a 5K fine ? the league is a joke and they've showed it time and time again.

Alberts still mangled from the last time Calgary was here. No penalty, Ryan Stanton injured by cheap shot, no fine,no suspension, Luongo run and injured, no penalty, thats what 6 players off the top of my head that have been injured with no justice by the NHL. League is a joke.

I want my team to defend themselves and they are now, screw the PJ Stock clowns who last time were saying the Canucks were too soft.

The hockey presstitutes and crooked NHL management back in TO/NY can drink bleach.

Vancouver now fights back and i love it.

Tortorella = Coach of The Year.

BM would not punch out a Sedin.

A fwd line up of tommy and the twins would have sufficed.

tommy vs BM cos they know the code, respect, and have fought each other.

that would have been it.

then kass with the sedins rest of the night as deterrent. score goals and win.

we barely beat the flames anyway. it took a shootout. this team has real issues that involve the objective of the reason behind playing - winning games.

i love fighting in hockey. but its not the canucks. we're not gonna fight our way to the cup.

You put out your three largest most penalized players against the Sedins. Our premier players and you make assumptions that nobody will get hurt.

You haven't seen much Hartley hockey have you?

BM wouldn't hit anyone, that's not what he does. Of course not, he's a premier goal scoring machine up for the lady bingh

I am sure that Tommy vs BM would have sufficed, I am sure that no cross checking head locks face washes and pushing around would have happened at all. I am sure it would have been frolicking across the ice with the wind blowing through their hair singing Kumbya while BM and TS loved it out.

Get your head on straight, Hartley has a history of doing this kind of nonsense, check youtube. His time in Atlanta and Colorado show exactly this kind of history

I assume you are old enough to remember the wings vs avs wars of the 90's right? And the crap he pulled in back to back seasons in Atlanta.

And it IS the Canucks now, we are not AVs Canucks anymore get used to it. NO more gum chewing smirk on the bench as our top players get abused. Immediate answers and accountability.

Its like being in the US after 9-11. You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists.

Um, the terrorist did kill over 3,000 people here in the US. Were you here in the US when it happened? I was and there wasn't any chest pumping by the majority of citizens that I saw. More like fear and sadness... What the politicians did is another story.

This team has got some serious serious issues and they are sinking fast, and I don't see whats so wrong with looking at the situation with an objective eye.

Sinking fast? Sure we have issues as a team but we aren't the Sabres and sure are doing better than Av's team in the standings so who's looking with an objective eye? You're not if you think this team sucks. We could do better, but that's when pushback and stepping up occurs. That stuff doesn't happen over night and without growing pains.

and the gong show in the hallway was the ultimate red herring.

That wasn't the first time and i'm certain won't be the last time that a coach has gone after Hartley.

The guy has done exactly this before while coaching multiple teams.. When you put your goons out to take the opening faceoff.. including a guy that isn't even a center and they all drop their gloves in unison before the puck hits the ice its pretty clear that instruction was given.

It's like a chess game, Hartley gets 1st move and puts out their 4th line to bait Torts. Torts had 2 options. First option, send out our toughest guys and that would result in what happened. Or, we could have put out our 1st line in, won the draw, and skated circles around them and try to get a quick goal. No way Calgary's 4th line starts a line brawl with our 1st line ...

Torts reacted to Hartley's first move ... when you react instead of being proactive, you always lose your emotions (1st intermission antics of going to Calgary's dressing room). We're lucky to get 2 pts out of this because we played without Garrison and Bieska and were down 2-1 in the 3rd. It could have been a very embarassing night.

Torts did choose the more entertaining option though.

Watch the video again and quit with all the supposition.

The Flames goon facing off did not even play the puck on the play. He practically had his gloves off before the puck hit the ice. Bieksa took the draw because he did not want Lain involved in a sure brawl. A jeweller with a jackhammer would/could have perceived what Hartley had planned and what was about to happen.

Yes Torts reacted to what Hartley put on the plate and he did so with justification. Hartley would not even man up when Torts went after him verbally at the bench. His little charade "who me" attitude might go over real big with the gutless NHL bureaucracy in New York but whatever they believe, Hartley is at the centre of this BS right up to his lips. He needs to be taken to task for his actions in this as well.

What coach starts his goon at centre to start the game without knowing what was going to happen? That dude couldn't carry a pail of pucks from one end of the rink to the other yet you have him face off to start the game? Give me a break.

Good for Torts, good for Bieksa and good for the entire team for sticking up for themselves. And good for the Vancouver fans for supporting what the coach and entire team did. There will be some ramifications (probably one sided at best) and we may lose the battle but I am betting we win the war on this one. Someone had to step up and the whole team did.

That is what green and blue should be all about when another team tries to take liberties.

BM would not punch out a Sedin.

A fwd line up of tommy and the twins would have sufficed.

I agree that BM would not punch out a Sedin. But I find it hard to believe that a guy like Westgarth, Jones or BM would not try and run one of the Sedins. BM ruined Alberts' season with a cheap high hit- its not like he is an angel.

The clear message from Burke when he brought in a guy like Westgarth is that one goon isnt enough to play the style of game he wants his team to play. Why was westgarth, with his 3 NHL goals career total, starting at center when he is a right winger?

Hartley is a goon coach and he is getting his direction from Burke. I posted this above ... look what Scott Parker said about Hartley intimidating players into fighting and gooning it up:

“He was a junior B goalie trying to tell me how to fight. He was always just degrading me. Not to be a (wimp), but he was a bully,” Parker told the Denver Post. “And he could be because he was in a position of authority. What was I supposed to do as a rookie? Go tell him ‘(expletive) you’?

Torts is a beaut!!!!!

Needed to be done.

PJ Stock is a thumb sucking puck face.

That is the kind of fire a real leader shows when someone tries to play little Nancy games. He took one for the team and let them know he wasn't foingto stand idly by while the goon squad tries to untimidate this team.

Torts went up ten notches in my book, as did Garrison, KB and eberybody else who dropped 'em for the cause.

anybody who thinks for a second that calgary's goons would have attacked the sedins is either stupid or just trying to justify tortorella's lineup choices. it just doesn't happen.

especially from a brian burke team. he loves the sedins.

that said, the brawl was fun so who cares.

anybody who thinks for a second that calgary's goons would have attacked the sedins is either stupid or just trying to justify tortorella's lineup choices. it just doesn't happen.

Hartley has done that before .. you are 100% wrong. They all dropped their gloves before the puck hit the ice.. there was clear instruction. There is zero reason to put a goon winger at center to start the game unless you are looking for exactly what they did in unison in the first second of the game.

You put out your three largest most penalized players against the Sedins. Our premier players and you make assumptions that nobody will get hurt.

You haven't seen much Hartley hockey have you?

BM wouldn't hit anyone, that's not what he does. Of course not, he's a premier goal scoring machine up for the lady bingh

I am sure that Tommy vs BM would have sufficed, I am sure that no cross checking head locks face washes and pushing around would have happened at all. I am sure it would have been frolicking across the ice with the wind blowing through their hair singing Kumbya while BM and TS loved it out.

Get your head on straight, Hartley has a history of doing this kind of nonsense, check youtube. His time in Atlanta and Colorado show exactly this kind of history

I assume you are old enough to remember the wings vs avs wars of the 90's right? And the crap he pulled in back to back seasons in Atlanta.

And it IS the Canucks now, we are not AVs Canucks anymore get used to it. NO more gum chewing smirk on the bench as our top players get abused. Immediate answers and accountability.

I see your points and yes im old enough to know the history.I didnt say BM wouldnt hit "anyone".I said he wouldnt hit a sedin. Would he?I just feel that at some point the distraction tactics need to end and this team needs to resume competing on the score board.And I think you would agree this team is losing its grip on that ability for which I mainly put on MG

They attacked a rookie playing in his very first NHL game, so yes they would have.

They went out there to fight, regardless of who they were lined up against.

If you don;t think 4th liners will start a brawl against 1st liners then u either forgot about or have never seen this

2:27

Pure speculation on your part. The fact that Flames sent their goons out on the first shift determined how Torts was to play his hand. There is no way he can ice our top guys against that lineup. Maybe in fantasy hockey land. But in real flesh and bone hockey Nope not ever!!!

Loved it.

Torts may not be the world class coach AV was that could hold a 3rd period lead and take it a to the bank. However he's showed we aren't the vancouver sissies anymore.

Don't mess with our team. Don't cheap shot our stars.

Pure speculation on your part. The fact that Flames sent their goons out on the first shift determined how Torts was to play his hand. There is no way he can ice our top guys against that lineup. Maybe in fantasy hockey land. But in real flesh and bone hockey Nope not ever!!!

The fact that he had westgarth, with his 3 NHL goals, on the starting line playing out of position and taking the draw shows that Hartley did not have benign motives. In that whole Calgary lineup (even though they are an AHL team on paper) couldnt they find 3 players that gave them a better chance for a good start to the game? Hartley's intentions were obvious - they wouldnt have jumped the sedins but chances are they would have done their best to run them just like LA tries to do every time they play.

As a coach I would have laughed and put Kesler Higgins and Hansen out with clear instructions not to engage under any circumstances. Let Calgary goon it up if that's their chosen course of action......take the huge PP and try and get up on them in the game. I suspect that if JT hadn't put his goons out, nothing would have happened, and Hartley would have immediately called for a line change to get a better matchup against a skilled line. I haven't seen or heard of much goonery from Calgary this year, but the same can't be said for the Canucks.

Archived