The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The Dreaded Trade of a D man and a Goalie (Queue the NTC Crowd)

So no cute stories no cute intro. Just the trades. Start with Luongo because I feel as others do he could very well ask to leave and there are two places that factor in for both needs and return

Option 1: Luongo to Florida for Huberdeau and a 1st 2014

Option 2: Luongo to Florida for Bjugstad 1st in 2014 and 2nd in 2014

Option 3: Luongo to Islanders for Strome 1st in 2015 and 2nd in 2015

Option 4: Luongo to Islanders for Nelson, Dehaan and a 2013 3rd

I seriously think this could be the year for numerous reasons that Luongo gets traded. I sincerely hope if he is to get traded it is to the Isles or the Panthers. Both because the Isles drafted him and they're on the verge of becoming a serious team in the league and because Florida is where his family is. The guy has earned the right to go home with his kid.

So queue the hate for that one. I know Lou will die a Canuck retire a cCanuck that contract is terrible blah blah blah and all the opinions with literally none of the stats or facts to back up why he could never be traded

The D trade. Edler. Yes, queue the NTC crowd again. Because Gillis said he'd never ask anyone to waive. And no GM in the hisotry of the league has ever asked a player to waive or said something to the media and then done the exact opposite days later when his team was struggling to perform.

On that note, Holmgren, Chiarell, Nonis, Burke, Sather, Murray, McPhee, Tallon and Bowman all say hi (and dozens more GM's in the leagues history)

Option 1: Edler 2nd and 3rd to Islanders for Reinhart and a 1st in 2015

Option 2: Edler and a 3rd and 5th to Islanders for Strome and a 1st in 2015

Option 3: Edler and a 3rd to Detroit for Mantha Helm and a 5th

Option 4: Edler and a 1st to Detroit for Mantha Sproul and a 5th

Edler could waive for any number of reasons before people fly off the handle. Pushed down the depth chart by the upswing of younger players, lack of performance, unhappy with Torts, lost his mojo. No Trade Clauses only give players the protection they need to never ever end up in Alberta

The Wings would be ok because in the east a player like Edler would do quite well (note how I send neither guy to a western team) and he'd shine for Babcock paired with DeKeyser or Holmstrom. New York has...New York. Playing on one of the best upcoming teams int eh league with a guy like Hamonic and being that much closer to Sweden has to be bloody appealing.

Look, something has to give. Obviously we won't see a significant trade during the regular season as most of us agreed this year is an aberration in terms of production, multiple injuries, suspensions, new division, new coaches new system new faces etc etc etc and for the first time ever. No Hank

We can win with a young goalie. Obviously the last 5 cup winners - Boston have shown us that.We can win without Luongo, obviously his injuries have shown us that. This is a showcase year for a ton of guys around the league for contracts and olympics.

If anything significant is going to be done this is the season it happens. And I feel very comfortable in saying with the right motivation Gillis can get something done and with the right amount of common sense come out with that kind of return for either player.

Trades like these win teams cups. Go ahead, tell me why it will never happen or how they could be made better or at least more feasible

Edler im not sure about wanting to move but thinking more into Huberdeau im not sold on his size for playing against California...Bjugastad not sold on being a top6...And I doubt ano of those in the Islander deals get moved...We know there is a market for Lu in Florida but with the Islanders I see them doing a cheaper deal for Reimer or Bernier(whoever they move)

No way in hell you're getting any of those assets for Luongo, lol.

No way in hell is that any kind of respectable response.

Oh sorry, LOL

Provide reasons why not. Do you know how Tallon works? Do you know how the new Florida ownership group has said compete and spend to compete? Did you also miss the rumours where Huberdeau is apparently under the gun for a lack of production?

Maybe you missed the part where New York is desperately seeking a tender and have reached out to the Sabres about Miller and the Blues about Halak.

These are two teams that have been told compete. Can't win without a netminder.

Oh sorry, LOL

Provide reasons why not. Do you know how Tallon works? Do you know how the new Florida ownership group has said compete and spend to compete? Did you also miss the rumours where Huberdeau is apparently under the gun for a lack of production?

Maybe you missed the part where New York is desperately seeking a tender and have reached out to the Sabres about Miller and the Blues about Halak.

Actually that could make sense...Islanders trade for Halaak and Blues trades for Miller

Lui will leave Vancouver. And I'd crap myself if we got anywhere near the prospects & picks you suggest.

I just don't think we'll get anywhere near those assets for Lui on his own.

Personally, his play this year should put him back on the radar for a few teams, including the Panthers and Isle. But I think that if it's just a Lui deal, the best we can hope for is simply being able to off-load him without picking up any of his salary.

If MG were smart, he'd bundle Lui in a package to try and get a good young prospect and picks. Maybe a package with Lui that includes Edler that would instantly solidify the back end of many teams might tempt those GM's sitting on the fence.

MG has to think big and bold. Just worried that he doesn't have it in him though.

Oh sorry, LOL

If you honestly think Luongo can get back a player like Huberdeau and their first which will be likely top 5, I feel sorry for you.

Oh sorry, LOL

Yeah, but both are young teams that wouldn't want a goalie that has 2-4 years of good hockey left, for potential 1st/2nd line centres with 12+ years of good hockey, with high draft picks I don't see much reason for trading Luongo though, a bounce back year so far, putting up stupendous numbers.

Look, Lui will leave Vancouver.

I just don't think we'll get anywhere near the assets you've suggested.

Personally, his play this year should put him back on the radar for a few teams, including the Panthers and Isle. But I think that if it's just a Lui deal, the best we can hope for is simply being able to off-load him without picking up any of his salary.

If MG were smart, he'd bundle Lui in a package to try and get a good young prospect and picks. Maybe a package with Lui and including Edler that would instantly solidify the back end of any team might tempt some GM's sitting on the fence.

MG has to think big and bold. Just worried that he doesn't have it in him though.

The issue with trading Lou WITH Edler is what do get back? That's close to Malkin return. Top tier Golaie and a top tier D.

Trading them seperately maximizes return on value. As well, Luongo is; in the rising cap world, a dream for GM's as even if he gives them 4 or 5 years of almost guaranteed playoffs and retires, they're off scott free on the recapture. I really think those returns are more than possible for Lou given that this is supposedly a shallow draft year and that teams will expect to be in the playoffs with him in their net so giving up a 1st isn't a stretch

What would you honestly value him at?

Lu's in the same boat as Tanev for us. Underrated/undervalued and would help us more if he stays here than if we trade him for less than what he's actually worth.

Me personally, Lu is worth at least a 1st and a top 6 player or a 1st and a top prospect. If no ones willing to pay up, fine with me keeping Lu in town but even then like I said above, Lu won't be traded this season.

If you honestly think Luongo can get back a player like Huberdeau and their first which will be likely top 5, I feel sorry for you.

So, did you miss where new owners in Florida gave Tallon carte blanche to go all in monetarily? Did you miss where Huberdeau has been under the gun for under performing? Did you miss the part where Florida has basically told Tallon compete or walk? Or maybe you missed the part where Florida and the Isles have been drafting so high for so long that some of their players are redundant at there positions.

If you cannot come up with a better argument than simple opinion I feel sorry for you.

So, did you miss where new owners in Florida gave Tallon carte blanche to go all in monetarily? Did you miss where Huberdeau has been under the gun for under performing? Did you miss the part where Florida has basically told Tallon compete or walk? Or maybe you missed the part where Florida and the Isles have been drafting so high for so long that some of their players are redundant at there positions.

If you cannot come up with a better argument than simple opinion I feel sorry for you.

It doesn't mean he wants to spend his top young player and a top 5 pick for a 34 year old goalie whos contract takes him until he's 42.

Lu's in the same boat as Tanev for us. Underrated/undervalued and would help us more if he stays here than if we trade him for less than what he's actually worth.

Me personally, Lu is worth at least a 1st and a top 6 player or a 1st and a top prospect. If no ones willing to pay up, fine with me keeping Lu in town but even then like I said above, Lu won't be traded this season.

And that's where I think you're wrong. No one even wanted to take him for free and Gillis was forced to move Schneider. Hell, Toronto wouldn't even give Scrivens and a 2nd for him.

I don't think Florida needs Lu, they'd be better off getting a young goalie that can grow with their young guys. The Isles need improved goaltending, but I think there's other goalies like Miller that they would go for first. I don't think we should trade Lu at all. IMO Lack isn't ready to be a full time starter yet, but by the time Lu retires he should be.

As for Edler, I think we should keep him, but if we were to trade him, I think option 1 is best. Not sure if Isles would be willing to part with Reinhart though.

It doesn't mean he wants to spend his top young player and a top 5 pick for a 34 year old goalie whos contract takes him until he's 42.

Cap recapture. This means that Luongo's entire cap hit falls back on the team that signed him in this case, the Canucks. If Luongo retires at age 39 his remaining 3 years are paid by the Canucks. They call it the Luongo rule for a reason

As well, you have to pay to play. We gave up Bertuzzi ++ for him. He is a top 5 goalie in this league. We got a top 10 pick in what is heralded as one of the deepest drafts since 2003 for Schneider. Fairly certain a 1st is not a large price to pay on top of a simple 2nd year prospect

Archived