The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] "Down with the Sickness"

Silfverberg Snipes

Wait.. we aren't already doing that?

There is no way this team is losing on purpose. They are what they are, people should start accepting that. And they are not the worse team in the league, far from it, but they are not in the top 10 either. Right in the middle. Just because they are not a contender does not mean they are tanking.

True.

Rangers and Leafs have more wins than us now.

Optimistically, we are still in a playoff spot and still control our own destiny.

I have no idea what it's going to take to get this team to being a contender again.

The Leafs only have 19 ROW's, the Canucks have 24. In these tight tight races, ROW's is a tie-breaker. The Leafs have the least amount of ROW's of any team holding a playoff spot.

The Hawks have Hossa, Sharp and Saad and we have Daniel, Burrows and Booth.

Don't forget Toews and Kane (and Kesler on your side).

What really helps Chicago is our depth and Q having the ability to roll 4 lines. Our 4th line is dangerous every night, not top line dangerous but they can score.

PGT notes:

1. Edler's playing like he wants to be traded. Kesler gave him a look after Edler was caught on an incredibly lazy play and Kesler had to cover him.

2. Booth outplayed Burrows by a wide margin. Booth! Burrows is a horrible, horrible hockey player at the moment. Remember when Burr took the team on his back and started carrying the Canucks and prevented AV's termination? That's history. Now he looks utterly spent. WTF?

3. Guys who were trying last night: Kesler, Bieksa (who had to act like a forward late game), Higgins (nice effort level, but not a top-6er), Kassian (still working on everything), Schroeder (bless him, but he falls down on his own), Richardson (good effort, good faceoff wins, but a 4th liner), Hamhuis, and Booth.

4. Guys who were 'kinda' there and/or floating around: Sedin, Edler, Burrows, Garrison, Luongo.

5. Chicago dominated 80% of the game, didn't let the Canucks thin attempts at physical play get under their skin, showcased their elite talent and superior system with ease, and got saves from their goaltender when required. The time when we could compete with that group seems like a fading memory. Although this was predicted, as their core group is constantly being backed up with waves and waves of recently-drafted prospects that they've developed. Remember when we were supposed to be able to do that? We were supposed to 'emulate Detroit' in this regard? It's not here. Schroeder played 20mins and he looked like he cannot handle that time, and he was the only Canuck-drafted young prospect playing last night.

More on that, it sickens me when I recall the blabberings about us being perpetually competitive year after year. Excuse me, but don't you have to have some actual plan to develop and keep some freakin' prospects in order to accomplish that? WHERE IS IT?!? If you don't intend on actually doing it, how about not saying you're going to do it?

Rogers Arena is really, really fancy. It's soooo nice. But soon it will be devoid of fans to pay for it's upkeep and retrofits unless the Canucks start following through on it's lofty bs promises and gets some freakin' talent.

Patience is wearing thin, yes. But the denial of needing a rebuild is more frustrating imho. Good thing we played the crap out of the Sedins and Kesler together to justify the Sedin's nice new contracts. Forehead slap!

Prediction: More jerseys will be hitting the ice.

Request: Don't acquire a rental, Gillis. Maybe if you just followed through on some of your past bs promises this team would actually be competitive now.

What really helps Chicago is our depth and Q having the ability to roll 4 lines. Our 4th line is dangerous every night, not top line dangerous but they can score.

Just stating the major difference between the two teams right now. I agree with the four lines thing. My earlier post indicated my frustration with our coaches not rolling 4 lines.

Our 4th line is 1st line dangerous. Well, at least compared to our 1st.

Just stating the major difference between the two teams right now. I agree with the four lines thing. My earlier post indicated my frustration with our coaches not rolling 4 lines.

Torts has always been a coach that leaned heavily on his stars. Kesler averaged over 22 minutes per game an the Sedins are over 21 minutes. Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa average between 18 - 20 minutes. 2 minutes may not seem like a lot but over the course of 82 games and the playoffs it adds up.

Chicago's 4th line averages 12 - 13 minutes per game, looks at some of Vancouver's 4th liners they average 6 - 8 mintues. Granted, given all the line-up changes and shuffling it's harder to get a proper gauge on Vancouver's 4th line.

Luongo should have been better.

Daniel I'm lost for words. I'm shocked. Awful again.

Sestito Kass Weise should be regulars on the second line with Kes or Shredder as center.

Still some positives from last night's game.

Torts has always been a coach that leaned heavily on his stars. Kesler averaged over 22 minutes per game an the Sedins are over 21 minutes. Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa average between 18 - 20 minutes. 2 minutes may not seem like a lot but over the course of 82 games and the playoffs it adds up.

Chicago's 4th line averages 12 - 13 minutes per game, looks at some of Vancouver's 4th liners they average 6 - 8 mintues. Granted, given all the line-up changes and shuffling it's harder to get a proper gauge on Vancouver's 4th line.

Torts needs to realize he's not in N.Y. where a 1hr bus ride gets you to long island or Newark. Add to that our core is around 30 and need less minutes not more.

Drives me crazy every time Gillis comes on the radio and says he thinks he has a good team here.

I think the team isn't too far from the top. Coaching just has no idea how to utilize it's players.

If the twins and Kesler had career years under AV playing controlled minutes... WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY ALL TOP 7 IN NHL IN MINUTES PLAYED ??!?!?! Kesler is 1st... Hank and Dan are 6 and 7.

This is nuts. Two American coaches riding their captain usa and not distributing minutes to other players who earn it.

Gillis has actually put together good forward depth this year. (This is coming from a guy that hates MG) Yet the coaching staff doesn't use the depth.

Ridiculous coaching.

Luongo should have been better.

Daniel I'm lost for words. I'm shocked. Awful again.

Sestito Kass Weise should be regulars on the second line with Kes or Shredder as center.

Still some positives from last night's game.

I wouldn't hang this loss on Luongo, he played well, especially in the 1st and 3rd periods.

I agree there were positives, the Canucks collapsed for 8 minutes in the 2nd but hung in there for most of the game.

I wouldn't hang this loss on Luongo, he played well, especially in the 1st and 3rd periods.

I agree there were positives, the Canucks collapsed for 8 minutes in the 2nd but hung in there for most of the game.

Listen I Love luongo more than anyone but he can't be great vs the hawks. He has to be stellar as he usually is.

Had he not played last night we definitely would have lost worse. That being said I expect him to make the save on Sharp. The toews goal was an unlucky bounce.

I have 0 doubt in his ability to show up when it matters.

Crawford was terrific after that first goal... he always plays like a lion vs the nucks. I'm sure he showed up even more fired up since he got left off team canada

27-19-9

21-25-7

one still has a chance at making the playoffs one does not one of these things is not like the other

this is the effect of losing Torts Henrik Tanev(now) and Santo

Head Coach Captain 1st line Center and 2 guys off the PK and great defensively it's been an awful month but you should go ahead and start a Reinhart or Ekblad thread in case someone beats you to the punch

stop pretending that hasn't been going on for three seasons.

Difference between Chicago and Canucks: MANAGEMENT.

Of course they sucked for a while and were able to accumulate guys like Toews and Kane through high draft picks but look at their secondary scoring and supporting cast:

Andrew Shaw - 14 goals so far. Selected in the FIFTH ROUND

Brandon Saad - 17 goals so far. Selected in the SECOND ROUND #43 overall

Ben Smith - 7 goals more than Burrows. Selected in the SIXTH ROUND

Brandon Pirri - 6 goals in 26 games. Selected in the SECOND ROUND #59 overall

These guys are all young - most of them are big, and all of them can skate.

Chicago's core players couldnt be successful without the supporting cast that Chicago management have surrounded them with. Shrewd management, excellent scouting and smart trades will keep these guys a contender for a long time whereas the Canucks are going to be in a nose dive.

Does anyone have any faith in Gillis and his scouting staff to make gutsy trades and find gems in the later rounds of the draft?

The Buff trade netted them a 1st and a 2nd, but they also gave up some other players. But anyhow those picks have not materialized yet. The guy they traded Ladd for is now in the KHL, the guy they traded Campberll for is in the Swiss league. And they got Stallberg for Versteeg, so one guy, out of all those moves was in their lineup for the last cup.

Most of those moves were cap related, not smart hockey moves that have made them a better team.

its not just about the assets they got in return, its about roster turnover, making room for young players developed from within, and shedding dead weight salary to remain competitive.

Drives me crazy every time Gillis comes on the radio and says he thinks he has a good team here.

Gillis is delusional. This team is under delusions as well. Competing for the Stanley Cup is out of their grasp. Maybe they've realized that and are coasting pathetically into the Olympic break.

The Sedins allegiance is far stronger for their country then it is for Vancouver. I seem to remember both of them playing poorly for the Canucks last season and then turning on the jets for Sweden. Way to go Gillis. Doling out their biggest contracts per annum, and they disappear.

This season will be another wash. As will any subsequent seasons be with Gillis running the show.

Archived